“VERY inexpensive, great location, clean”

Motel 6 Philadelphia - King of Prussia
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in King of Prussia
Reviewed August 29, 2006

This is a bare bones, no-frills, very basic hotel that is conveniently located and very inexpensive. I stayed 4 nights while bringing my daughter to college (Eastern University) and found that it certainly met my needs -- it was 5 minutes from the college, across the street from the King of Prussia Mall (huge!!) and close to many places to eat. Plus, it's only a short drive to Philadelphia, maybe 20 minutes?

Unlike some other reviews, I didn't notice any odd smells and found the room to be clean. It's not on par with Wyndham and even Holiday Inn, but for $50 a night all I would expect is a clean room. One thing that was a nice surprise is that the hotel, even though full, was very quiet.

The shower was hot, good pressure -- the room was spartan, but clean -- bed was comfortable -- coffee in the morning was actually not bad. Of course, for this price, there aren't many amenities -- no shampoo, no hair dryer, no clock radio, economy towels.

The hotel has an outdoor pool, which was clean and pleasant. The grounds were well kept and the parking was abundant & well lit. I did notice police cars patrolling through the parking lot on a fairly frequent basis, even on the weekend.

The front desk folks were friendly and gave good directions (getting to the mall is not as easy as it looks, even though it's across the street -- a divided highway).

Keep in mind as you read the reviews that this is an ECONOMY hotel -- have low expectations and don't expect the service & amenities of the Ritz! For $50 a night in an area where even the other economy hotels charge at least $100 a night, you're not going to get much more than a clean, comfortable bed. Anything more than that is simply a bonus.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed August 21, 2006

Ugh! OK - you know that when you book a room at a Motel 6, you shouldn't expect a palace. However, our room smelled so bad that I couldn't sleep and my husband actually got sick in the bathroom. It was a 'no-smoking' room, BUT there was an ASHTRAY in the room!!! Vile! No ventilation at all! The clothes I packed smelled foul until I got home to wash them. We booked two nights, but at 3:00am I booked a room in another hotel for the second night. It took an hour for the front desk staff to issue a refund because they couldn't properly work the computers. On the positive side, the front desk staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 28, 2006

I have been some places that have been less than acceptable before, but this place took the cake!!! Upon arrival I witnessed first hand the first act of poor customer service. A couple had entered before me and were inquiring about a room and the price. When the guest simply asked for a explaination between the prices the desk clerk became very rude. After the action I should have followed suit and left also. But we didn't. Big mistake!!!

First of all the overwhelming smell of must and mildew was horrible. But we thought that we could get past that due to the appearance of a clean room. So decided to go out site seeing and shopping, upon returning we were preparing to settle in for some much needed rest. But when we pulled back the sheets on the bed we first found that the blanket was to say the least worn and old looking. The sheets were stained, wrinkled and just plain old nasty and dirty. It was like housekeeping merely smoothed over the same covers without cahnging them. Well that was IT!!! We gathered our things and promptly left.

Now, in past experiences I have had management offer to switch roms or even correct the problem if possible. None of the above was even attemped or offered. What was even more unbelievable was that not even an apology was offered. They refunded my money and that was that. Motel 6 always claims that they'll leave the light on, in this case they should shot the lights out!!!!!

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank melloblessed
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We stayed at the motel 6 in King of Prussia last weekend. You can't drive to it from the main road, though it is on the main road. You've got to turn at the next street and again to approach it from behind.
The motel seemed to be perfectly clean with nothing broken anywhere I could see.
As a cheap stay, there were few luxuries (bring your own shampoo), but I'd much rather have a clean motel with no frills than a pimped out motel that's unsafe or disgusting.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank Jay T
A TripAdvisor Member
West Seneca, NY
Reviewed July 8, 2005

After cancelling my reservation at the Best Western next door because they couldn't take me right away I reserved a room at Motel 6. It turned out to be the last room they had. When I got to my room and pulled back the sheets on the bed there were several little bugs walking about. I picked up my bags and went down to the desk and explained my issue. The lady at the counter was very nice, however the maid called me a liar. Se went to the room and admitted that the bugs were there. That was enough for me. After writting a note to Motel 6 they did nothing more than send me a generic letter back. Never again would I stay at a Motel 6 hotel. It could be free and I wouldn't stay.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2005

We stayed here one night this June. The room was clean, but there was a smell of cigarette smoke in the hallways outside the no smoking rooms.

Unlike another reviewer on this site, we did get the online rate without having to show anything. Maybe they fixed this problem or maybe we got lucky. Also, the front desk person was very nice and efficient.

They serve coffee and dounuts in the morning, but there was no desk person there in the morning, 7:30 am, and there was a metal gate closing off the front desk area. We didn't know what to do with our card key.

The main complaint we had about this place is that the directions listed on their web site didn't explain which exit, A or B, to take from which direction. We got off on the A exit from East I-76 and got totally lost.

We were also a bit worried about the safety of our car. I would park in the front where there are more lights. When we came out in the morning, there was a pile of used beer cans outside the side entrance.

It was ok for one night though, and it's a good place to stay if you don't want to stay in Philly, but want to tour around there and don't want to pay too much.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank secryt
A TripAdvisor Member
Eferding , AUSTRIA
Reviewed September 27, 2004

Stayed at this Motel for one week , easy to find in KOP .
Motel is very clean and quiet , even it`s surrounded by Hihways .
What could be better doesn`t have to do with the Motel but the signs for Exits on SR 202 , not easy to find the Exit to King of Prussia , cause Exit is called " Valley Forge " so a stranger won`t know where to exit really .
Been on a lot of places on my travel for two weeks , but great everywhere and worth to tell this in my Home Country !
Thank you for a very exhausting holiday .
Helga Sinzinger , Eferding AUSTRIA