“Huge Disappointment”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2009

After seeing this restaurant featured on the Travel Channel, and some reviews (on other web sites) we decided to try it.
We arrived without a reservation and the hostess said it would be 20 minutes before we could have a table upstairs on the rooftop. No problem. We sat at the bar, the bartender was very nice. Less than five minutes later, our table was ready - perfect!
Be aware, you have to walk through the downstairs restaurant. The atmosphere was almost diner like, so that surprised me. The floor is a black and white mosaic tile style and slippery. I slipped, spilled some of my wine, had to ask a waitress for a napkin while my dinner partner was wiping up the spill!
Up the long flight of stairs to the top (I didn't see a wheelchair access or elevator), where we literally bumped into a couple in front of us who were waiting for their table. Soon after, a foursome was directly behind us. A bit of a traffic jam which crowded the bar station and resulted in a lot of shuffling. I'm saying to myself "this was a place featured on TV and written up in the NY Times?" Why?
We were seated by a smiling, yet frazzled hostess upstairs. Communications with the front hostess station was obviously not clear.
Our waitress was all over the place. I don't mind waiting to place my order, as long as someone acknowldeges that I am sitting there...for 10 minutes! We had our beverages but asked for water with lemon and a straw. She proceeded to plop down two glasses of water (okay, no big deal if she was being attentive), but again...waited patiently for the lemon.
The good news is, the goat cheese appetizer was delicous. The mussels were tasty (especially the broth) but a bit small. I guess you can't blame the restaurant on the size.
I ordered the red snapper, my partner ordered the antelope ribs. The snapper was just fair, not a "knock your socks off" kind of entree. The ribs looked worse than something you could find at Tony Roma's (no offense Tony). We passed on dessert and bolted as quickly as possible.
This could be a great place with a little more attention to detail and focus on customer service. I doubt I'd return.

2  Thank gmt1102

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed June 24, 2009

What's not to love? Creative menu (fantastic alligator gumbo), incredible beer list and a wine list that is anything but boring! A bit loud, but who cares - it's fun!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed May 23, 2009

We decided to try the Half Moon after a recommendation from the guy working the desk at the Hilton. The idea of exotic meats / wild games always piques my interest. Half moon did not disappoint. We dined on the roof top terrace and it was pleasant. The restaurant was busy up top at the time and the waitresses were struggling to keep up. However, being such a popular place, I could understand. All and all, the service was just fine!

After ordering a hearty "Gator Gumbo w/ crawfish" I asked the waitress for a recommendation of what others were saying was good. As recommended, I ended up with the Llama tenderloin with a garlic mashed potato and a melted bree' undertone and all of this was covered by a fruity balsamic sauce. This was served with roasted fresh asparagus. The meal was delicious! My Wife had a simple salad and some very tasty sweet pea humus. The humus dish was a hearty serving with a selection of summer vegetables and breads. I'm not usually a fan of humus, but, this was different and delectable.

The beer selection was impressive as well. I had a Hoegaarden which was a delicious Bavarian wheat beer with smooth, fruity undertones. Perfect with my Llama.

Reviewed February 21, 2009

After seeing this place on TV my girlfriend and I wanted to try this place out and drove the 35 miles each way today for lunch. I had the Antelope Chili and the Angus Beef Burger with an iced tea, my girlfriend had the Exotic Mushroom Bisque and the Buffalo Burger. The chili was good, but as I expected the spices and other ingredients covered up whatever unique flavor the Antelope added, the black beans were a little under cooked but overall it was good and enjoyable. The Beef burger was cooked a little more than I had expected but was still juicy and flavorful, the tomato, lettuce and onion were all fresh. The bun was nicely toasted and fresh. The pickle was very good. It came with home made potato chips, they needed salt, with some salt right after frying they would have been very good. The Mushroom Bisque was EXCELLENT, I can not stress how good this soup was, it was easily the highlight of both of the meals. The Buffalo Burger was nothing to write home about, it was good but just good, not great. The ice tea had a little of a raspberry flavor which to me says it was not brewed there. Overall the place was OK, it did not provide the incredible experience I expected from the TV show. The wait staff was nice and the decor was interesting. I would suggest to the restaurant that they replace the tables they use on the upper level, they are a wrought iron type table and all the nooks and holes were totally covered with disgusting food remnants, I almost didn't use the fork that had touched the table. I would really like to try this place for an exotic game steak at dinner (I would eat in downstairs where it seemed like the tables might be cleaner) but the long drive is just not worth it to me now.

2  Thank tainted
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Where to start, ok we went here for a friends birthday... made reservations and everything... we get there, and they dont even have our table set up yet, with an empty restaurant and a few people at the bar. Waitresses were completely incompetent, the food wasnt as good as it was said to be. The prices were OUTRAGEOUS for the taste of the food. But the topper, Everyone who ate the Bison, which is supposed to be their specialty, the burger they were on the Food Network for, got everyone sick! Both ends. I intend to speak with the manager about this, but my recommendation for this place is to avoid it all all costs, there are plenty of other places in Kennett Square to eat that are more reasonably priced and have way better food! AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

1  Thank comleyd