“Delightful happenstance find following visit to Longwood Gardens”
Review of Half Moon Restaurant - CLOSED

Half Moon Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Delightful happenstance find following visit to Longwood Gardens”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

What a great menu. Wild game. Creative salads. Delicious soup. We had a long drive home so we did not indulge in the beer and drink menu - but it too looked enticing. Only complaint was we ordered way too much food for two people. Not realizing the size of things - we could have easily gotten by with the crab nachos with avocados (delicious and enormous) with a soup to accompany it. But we also ordered salad (Pear, argula, feta, candied walnuts) and an entree. (Buffalo burger) Way. Too. Much. Food. Plus for all of that - the bill was surprisingly low. So definitely we will return upon our next visit - and order wiser the next time.

1 Thank akamum

Long Island, NY
“Delightful Christmas Eve”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

A friend who lives in PA led us to the Half Moon Restaurant. We were excited to dine here as we were told of some of the unique items offered on the menu. The restaurant is located in a downtown environment and although quite chilly out, we window shopped as we approached the restaurant. Upon entering we found it to be a pub-style restaurant and bar. Being the holiday season, everyone seemed pleased to be there. The hostess inquired if we would like to dine in the "rooftop" section which is upstairs. We did! We found a lovely dining area which had a separate bar area and surrounded by glass so we could look out over the surrounding area. Beautiful view, especially with all the holiday lights ablaze. Note: in warmer seasons, the glass areas open like overhead garage doors allowing the entire area to be an open rooftop dining room. Would love to return during warmer season to experience it. Servers were attentive and offered to answer any questions we may have about the menu which included some unusual food offerings as well as traditional meals. We shared the crab nachos as an appetizer and Wow! My husband chose the Australian Rack of Lamb and I had the Cider Braised Wild Boar Shank with butternut squash spaetzle and it was incredible! We shared a dessert (which was awesome) and asked if herbal tea was available. They brought a box filled with all types of teas and we chose an herbal tea appropriately called, "Christmas Eve". Our experience at this establishment was marvelous and made Christmas Eve very special for us.

Annandale, New Jersey
“Very good.”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Service was a little slow. Food, however, was excellent. Very good beer and drink selection. They have a kid's menu, but we found it weird that they don't have ice cream. A very minor complaint.

Visited December 2013
New England
“Interesting blend of old & new”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Don't know the history of this charming architecturally interesting restaurant but the ambience is part of the enjoyment-lots of high ceilings, dark warm wood, muted lighting, and then there is the interesting selection of all sorts of meats from boars to elk to kangaroo! I chose a mere chicken dish but the herbs and seasonings used were rich and different-the appetizer choice of 5 Chester Co cheeses, a pate of ambrosial taste and some pickles, and small slices of crusty bread was so delicious-(I went and bought some of the local cheeses before we left the area-) I would definitely go there again-the waiter was competent and pleasant, the prices reasonable and it was a pleasant venue. I probably would not try some of the more exotic meats as I wonder how fresh they can be coming from all quarters of the globe? but maybe they are-what we ate was very good.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ANNE R
Tabernacle, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“60 yrs old and best lunch ever!”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I'm a retired flight attendant and have been all over the world and my lunch today was the best ever! It bumped the mussels in garlic wine sauce in Brussels into number 2 place.. I had the exotic mushroom appetizer and small waffle fries...Now the fries were good but the mushrooms on crustini were over the moon (so to speak)..It's a good thing this place is 60 miles from home or I'd never cook again...By the way the fries came home..too much for my hubby and I ...He had the lunch special ham and swiss..yummy also but his mushroom soup was also the best I ever tasted....xoxox

1 Thank bonniejarrett