“My most unusual dining experience”
Review of The Stone Barn

The Stone Barn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My mother and I wanted to do something special for a friend’s birthday. We decided on Sunday to take nice ride in the country even though it is winter I knew the Stone Barn would be the ideal place. We had reservations for 11:00 seating. When we walked through the door the ambiance was everything you would want. I decided my first course would be the silver dollar pancakes and an omelet. They had melted butter and two other condiments for the pancakes. My mouth was watering when I proceeded to eat was I ever surprised how cold they happen to be. After an hour of being seating I got the biggest shock ever. A couple was seated not far from where we were dining. My friend happened to notice first the man had in plane view a handgun. I would think establishment of this type would not allow anything of this nature. My taste were already destroyed due to everything we had eaten was lukewarm or absolutely cold. I was so disappointed because the original Stone Barn had the best buffet ever. I will inform my friends not to go there unless you don’t mind cold food and people coming in as if they live in the Wild West. Gwen Jones Newark, De

3  Thank bond2013
There are newer reviews for The Stone Barn

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Stone Barn is open for dinner Wed through Sat and Sunday brunch. Thursday is a fixed price dinner. Initially we were thrilled by this meal but after 3 times with no menu changes it became stale. Service is slow and if you order the chocolate lava cake be prepared to wait 25 minutes.

3  Thank eclairewl
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Every woman dreams about their wedding day from the time they are little. Our wedding was my dream come true...with one exception...the god awful food served to our guests. How the Stone Barn has handled the situation is even worse than the food.

The food served to us at our tasting was magnificent and my now husband and I raved to all of our guests about how good the food was going to be at our wedding. The crab cakes were warm and delicious and my favorite part was the Spinach salad that was presented as a nest of spinach leaves with the walnuts nestled on top. I was so thrilled by this presentation that I specifically asked Chef Ray if the salads would look like this on the day of the wedding...I was assured they would.

Fast forward to the day of the wedding...the salads were a few pieces of spinach thrown onto a plate with a few cranberries and walnuts tossed in....no cute nests :(. So no big deal I thought...I knew the entrees would be amazing. Ha...wrong again. The crab cakes were cold, my husband could barely cut his "filet" with his knife and he referred to it as a burnt hockey puck. I looked around at the meals our families and friends were served and I saw a lot of untouched plates and very unsatisfied guests. My mother sent my father's filet back to the kitchen only to receive an equally disgusting, burnt filet. By this point I was pretty upset, but my wedding planner and my mother said they would take care of it. My husband and I decided to load up on rolls and enjoy our night. We partied into the night and had the best night of our lives. I am so glad we planned on bringing in our own snacks as everyone was STARVING by then. I cannot believe the food that was served to our families and friends...it was unacceptable for the amount of money my parents paid the Stone Barn. It was worse than left over buffet food. We had our rehearsal dinner the night before at their restaurant Foxfire, and it was amazing. So, something in the kitchen must have gone wrong the day of our wedding.

I waited over a year to write my review because I was hoping the Stone Barn would fix the problem and apologize for whatever happened that night. After many attempts to discuss this situation, my parents had to take the Stone Barn to small claims court and the Judge decided the Stone Barn needed to reimburse my parents for a portion of the food they paid for. My parents are still waiting for that reimbursement check that the JUDGE ordered the Stone Barn to pay...over 6 months later.

You would think an establishment like the Stone Barn would work with their clients who paid tens of thousands of dollars for their daughter's wedding reception and they would accept responsibility for their mistake. It is a shame the Stone Barn has decided to handle the situation this way...not a business I would ever recommend.

5  Thank Paige T
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had our daughter's wedding at the Stone Barn last year - pretty venue - but bad food - a far cry from meals we had at the restaurant in the past and what was presented at the tasting. So we went to small claims to get some sort of reimbursement on our $13,000.00 meal payment..

The Judge ordered the Stone Barn to pay $4000.00 - that was about 6 months ago and still no check despite several phone calls...sigh. Kelly said she would look into it with the court - still no check. Guess the next step is to proceed legally and maybe call CBS News On Your Side to see if they can help.

I am very glad that some people's wedding receptions were wonderful, and I'm very sorry that ours and quite a few others were not. Seems like what you get at your reception is a bit of crap shoot.

5  Thank ecbdmd
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Second year to the santa breakfast....great buffet...wonderful, huge selection of breakfast and lunch...soups, salad, seafood, dessert....amazing....classic chester county stone barn, roaring fire...great service and byob so wonderful for champagne and wine pairing yourself...a must for the season....wonderful again and again...and the kids love seeing santa!!