“Prior Favorite, Won't Be Back”
Review of The Orchard Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Orchard Restaurant
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Orchard is a an intimate country BYOB restaurant with a cuisine that is second to none located in Kennett Square PA. The Dining room with its plush, soft lighting boasts contemporary clean lines of crisp white walls, well placed antiques and plush fabrics that blend timeless elegance with one foot planted in old world luxury. Chef Trevisani's cuisine which follows the simplistic approach of the dining room is best described as new American cuisine in a French style.
Philadelphia, PA
“Prior Favorite, Won't Be Back”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A three year and counting family tradition around the holidays, I was excited to go back to The Orchard again this year. Previously, the food and the service had been excellent, so I of course expected more of the same upon our return. I'm not sure what happened, but our experience was so awful, I felt like it was a completely different restaurant. Upon entering and being seated upstairs, proceeded to open our wine and offer us water. All fine although she wasn't exceptionally friendly. Bringing our menus, she was uneducated on the offerings, couldn't answer any of our questions or even pronounce some of the items. Upon asking her the portion sizes of one of the appetizers, she said there was enough there to make you full, but we certainly didn't want to "stuff our faces and ruin the rest of the meal", did we? She also proceeded to explain that this was fine dining, in case we weren't aware, and the portion sizes were therefore not huge. Ok, thanks lady. The room we were in filled up with two other tables, and I'm not sure if this frazzled her or if she just didn't care, because she proceeded to forget to fill our wine and water glasses (to the point that we and the other tables had to get up and fill them ourselves), she disappeared for 20-30 minutes at a time and was no where to be found. We started to hear the buzz in distaste with the rest of the disgruntled tables as well. When our appetizers and salads arrived 45 minutes later, she got the placement all wrong and practically flung them at us, rushing away. Our appetizer and salad plates then remained uncleared for another half hour until a bus boy came to remove them, and we waited... and waited.. and waited... for dinner. We got up to make sure our meal was indeed coming, and when we did find her she forgot what table we were sitting at (among only 3) and told us our first courses were on their way. We had to inform her we already had our first courses and had been waiting for close to an hour for our entrees. In that hour, we had drank all of our wine, so we had none left to even enjoy with our meal, and our water glasses had yet to be filled. Once our entrees arrived the food was average at best. All were lukewarm (surprising they weren't completely cold actually, with how long we had been waiting), and the duck was so chewy it was barely edible. After finishing our entrees, we decided we had enough waiting and actually went downstairs to ask for our check. The manager sensing that it was strange for a table to come downstairs for their bill asked if everything was alright. When we told her that no, it actually wasn't, she barely apologized and did not even try to make anything right. She told us since we didn't actually send anything back to the kitchen, it was probably good enough and our complaints with the service could be reflected in our tip. Then, she practically threw our "complimentary dessert cookies" at us and turned to walk away. No apologies, no trying to make anything right after a bad experience = no return customers. We were appalled. If a service provider tries to fix a bad experience and is genuinely sorry I am the first person to give them a second chance but no, not The Orchard. It's a shame because it had previously been one of the best dining experiences I have had.

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank KateEliz

Bethany Beach, DE
“Unhurried dining at The Orchard Restr.”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Suggest reservations at this clean, minimalist-looking restaurant just off route 1. The choices for dinner met all the selection needs of our group of 4. The soup was delicate and silky - don't know what it was but I am ready for more. We forgot our BYOB, but they somehow satisfied our need. While food portions appeared colorful and smallish, we were stuffed to the gills upon departure. The between-course aparativ met the palate-changing challenge. Maybe it was the romantic low-light! Overall, a positive quality experience. Although not a rated restaurant, they may meet a one or 2 star criteria. Certainly a value for the money.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank steveplotkin
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Although the food was delicious, my duck was so tough I had to send it back. The replacement was good. It is a BYOB and they charge $5 corkage fee. Instead of leaving your opened wine at your table, they have one large table, one large ice tub and quite an accumulation of bottles. The servers seem quite confused as whose is whose. Sitting by that table was most disconcerting.
The food is very expensive and with many wonderful restaurants in the area I would think twice about returning.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank DandJ205
Oxford
“Poor Service, Arrogant Attitude”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Can't imagine why our visit was so different then the reviews I read prior to going...Expected so much more from this highly rated BYOB. From the moment we sat down, our server disappointed by asking us "what wine would you like to open first?" Shouldn't he know? Guess he lost interest as the night progressed, as we had to pour our own wine after awhile. We were constantly having to hunt him down to get service (and this place is small). Then the chef came out to visit. We asked why all guests must choose the tasting menu? We were told we could make changes to the tasting menu, but then that all guests had to participate, doesn't make sense. We have been to many upscale restaurants that offer tasting menus, and this is never the case. The chef brushed off our feedback, and said "This is the way I do it"...Well, ok, great customer service... It's a shame because I would say that the food was good (a bit overpriced for what you receive, but good quality). Had the overall experience been better, I would never be writing this disappointing review. To top it all off, when we were leaving, the waiter questioned the tip that we chose to leave him...he thought we had made an error...last I checked you are tipped for the quality of service you provide, and his was very poor. All in all disappointed that I chose The Orchard to celebrate my birthday...we left to get dessert elsewhere. So many other great restaurants in the area, I would steer clear of this one.

• Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Positively Decadent”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Orchard has always been a special romantic find of ours. This restaurant is very small, personalized and intimate. You will be exposed to a myriad of unique tastes and flavors. The service is impeccable and the food selections cover every option and category. It is a treat to spend a leisurely evening here and we look forward to returning.

• Visited September 2013