“Go Somewhere Else”

El Ranchero Mexican Restaurant
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Go Somewhere Else”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Do yourself a favor, go somewhere else.
Our kids wanted Mexican food. the only reason we ended up at El Ranchero is because power was out at La Pena (just down the street).
The food at El Rancero was just OK.
While the waitress was nice, the service was slow. After ordering, it took well over half an hour to receive our food - one plate at a time.
With all of the other choices in Kennett, pick another place.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Rudestr

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“El Ranchero Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Absolutely the best Mexican food I have had - and I am not a big Mexican Cuisines person. My wife and I have been traveling from Chadds Ford for years to eat here. Fantastic Ceviche on a Tostada. I don't know if you ever tried to find decent Ceviche anywhere in the Philly or suburbs area but I haven't until El Ranchero. Large portion, delicious and reasonably priced. Rest of food was very good but I always seem to order the steak Fajita which comes on a steaming hot metal pan on a block of wood. Also BYOB so we bring our own Mexican beer.

• Visited March 2014
“Good but SLOW!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went there with my family to spend time together and have a meal together. The food itself was okay, well prepared and tasty. The waitress (when present) was very nice and polite however the service is VERY slow, they took what seemed forever to take our orders, then the food took even longer to be ready and the place wasn't even full, there were only two other tables with two or three patrons maximum. So I say, if you want to give the food a try go but be ready to wait for a good while because their service is not very efficient.

• Visited September 2012
“A Great Find if You are Looking for Good Mexican Food”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It has been very hard to find good Mexican food since our favorite Mexican place closed in the last year or so. My husband and I like the real experience -- food that is not from a chain restaurant -- and this place delivers. We had dinner on a day visited Longwood Gardens -- which is located a short drive away. I checked reviews online before we left and they were favorable -- so we decided to take a chance and stop for dinner after spending the day at Longwood. I ordered my favorite dish -- chicken enchiladas. The three enchiladas were served with mole sauce, a scoop of rice, chunky guacamole, rich sour cream, and some lettuce and diced tomato on the side. I topped them off with some of the delicious salsa that was on the table (along with some exceptionally tasty and very crunchy tortilla chips). I was in taste bud heaven. The cilantro in the salsa complimented the many flavors in the dish. Needless to say, I made quick work of this hefty platter of food...you might say I overindulged a bit since I don't usually eat three enchiladas -- two are enough to fill me up...but I was really enjoying this meal. My husband was also pleased with the fajitas he ordered. The were a combination of chorizo sausage, beef, chiicken and shrimp --- stir fried with onions and peppers and seasoned just right. This dish was served with four corn tortillas -- you could choose between corn and flour tortillas when ordering. The entree came with guacamole, rice and salad greens, too. We were both very happy with the food, the price, the quality, and quantity of the meal. If we are in the Kennett Square area again, we would be sure to stop here for dinner.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Carol
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“Service quality is declining”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Even with an abundance of empty tables, our party was continuously waiting for service. Drink refills, food delivery and even silverware arrived sporadically in what seemed to be a trend consistent at surrounding tables as well. Food was average to good but with so many other quality Mexican options in the Kennett Square area, I'll likely choose another venue in the future.

• Visited May 2013