“Authentic Mexican ”

Cuisines: Mexican
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Mexican ”
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Traditional Mexican tacos served with onion and cilantro were delicious. The atmosphere left something to be desired.

Pennsylvania
“Am I missing something?”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Went to La Pena after reading rave reviews. We went on a Sunday afternoon for lunch. As the other reviews indicated, we went for the food not the ambience (modest, about 6 tables, opens to kitchen). Seating and service was fast and courteous. The food was average. We ordered a quesedilla which was nice and cheesy inside, a fish taco (probably the best of the lot), Chimichangas with red sauce which was good as well. Deeply disappointed with any of the fried stuff. The chips were freshly deep fried that is when I got a "over used" oily taste. Followed soon by the chalupas/flautas. I could not finish my meal. Perhaps I was expecting a little more due to the reviews. The sides (e.g. gauc, salads etc.) were fresh and the sauces had the taste of freshly ground seasonings. I may change my rating after a second visit (certainly deserving of a second taste!)

• Visited August 2014
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
“wonderful fresh, tasty and inexpensive”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

this is a real gem. small, but very clean and bright inside -seating for maybe 25 people.

everything was fresh and cooked to order - even the chips that we ordered for the excellent guacamole. the food presentation was great too and our food came in less than ten minutes.

Dinner for two with sodas, sides of yellow rice (really flavourful), guac, chips and salsa, was $22.

this is my favourite mexican now,

and by the way - order at the till.

• Visited August 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“Real Mexican -Very Well Done”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I have a thing for Mexican food. Growing up in the southwest with many of my friends having been born in Mexico I had many opportunities to eat both excellent restaurant and home cooked Mexican food. Also I travel globally and on a lark often try the "Mexican" food on other continents (note: skip the Mexican in Parrramatta NSW Australia). This was one of the top Mexican meals I've had - Ever. Excellent diverse menu. Friendly staff. Truly outstanding food. My only regret is that I don't live closer so I could enjoy it more.

• Visited July 2014
Wilmington NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Real Mexican food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

You will find things you've never heard of. We ate there 2 nights because we enjoyed it so much. It is a hole in the wall but it is tasty, satisfying fare. There is no alcohol available but they have horchata and aqua fresca and delicious Mexican fruit sodas. I loved the mango flavored one.

• Visited May 2014