“Good food and service, friendly staff, it would be nice if the landlord would fix the ceiling.”

Portabello's of Kennett Square
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of historic Kennett Square, Portabello's has something for everyone. Chef Owner, Brett Hulbert's menus offer tempting selections for lunch and dinner! Amazing burgers, artisan soups and sandwiches along with signature dishes which include, Firecracker Shrimp, Mushroom Crepes, Crispy Duck, Short Rib Stroganoff & Shellfish Fra diavolo! Come visit us...we look forward to cooking for you!
Kennett Square
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The ceiling dosen't do this place justice. The food is prepared in contemporary style without getting weird. It's one of the top three restaurants in Kennett.

• Visited March 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mushroom paradise!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Very nice place. Food is really delicious. So fresh!
Mushroom soup is amazing!!!
Specials were also very tasty.
Staff is friendly and professional.
It was excellent to have launch there after extended garden walking!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Portabello Power!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The chef of this restaurant takes full advantage of the local crop, mushrooms. All of the food we had for lunch was extremely fresh. We shared the octopus salad appetizer. All I can say is: tender and tasty! All of the specials that were presented to us sounded so good that it was hard to chose. The warm mushroom wrap and the portabello flatbread were both spectacular. It was probably the best wrap I have ever eaten.
The decor is subtle yet fancy. It is a BYO place, so plan on coming here for a nice dinner and bring a bottle of your favorite wine.
What I believe to be the owners and chef stopped by our table several times to make sure we were happy with the food. I always appreciate that gesture; it makes me feel that the proprietors care about your dining experience.
I am sure we will come back for many more meals, even though this is fairly far from home!

• Visited April 2014
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
“Portabello's - WOW!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

A first time visit and we were all really impressed with our meal. The service was terrific. A varied menu and the flavors were unbelievable. I would definitely return.

• Visited February 2014
Montreal, Canada
“High Life Performance in Tiny Towm”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

From Agent 9:
We two, my mind and I, among others, have been dining here over the years, under both present and prior ownership. But about 2 years ago, Chef Brett and Sandra bought this simple, straight forward Italian place, and turned it up into a superior kitchen and a restaurant that is unique in this region because of the high level creativity and sophisticated, diverse offerings, Italian and well beyond. They also placed linen table cloths on these tables, and this upgrade was both symbolic and directional.
I am at my table alone this night but dare to offer an evaluation upon which I know we both would agree. My starter was a fresh and firm linguini, accompanied by suitably soft warmed raw shrimp (noticeably not over cooked), in a black garlic sauce. Kennett Square is well removed geographically from the haute cuisines of this world, but not on this day, and surely this
creation more than held its own.
My main course was personally directed by Chef Brett. Perfectly poached scallops, drenched in spicy Fra Diavlo sauce (at level 6 of heat) but an unexpected treat was that this strictly Italian flavor was served over a German rosti ( potato based) that lent a surprisingly compatible receptor for the great Fra Diavlo sauce. This all was an Eric creation of the highest taste quality.
While I thoroughly enjoy this dining experience, and European quality service with Brian always at his best, it is the embracing, easy, unpretentious, welcoming conversations with Sandra and Brett that draw us all back. I can't wait for the day to bring here those of my friends who have not yet enjoyed this little star.
Signed, Agent 9