“Food good -- service off”

Portabello's of Kennett Square
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of historic Kennett Square, Portabello's has something for everyone. Chef Owner, Brett Hulbert's menus offer tempting selections for lunch and dinner! Amazing burgers, artisan soups and sandwiches along with signature dishes which include, Firecracker Shrimp, Mushroom Crepes, Crispy Duck, Short Rib Stroganoff & Shellfish Fra diavolo! Come visit us...we look forward to cooking for you!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A very nice meal -- the new chef did an excellent job with a variety of meals ordered by the 5 of us. It is BYOB so we got good value and a variety of wines were sampled. However service was a little off. They seemed more interested in their own conversations and folding napkins for tomorrow than in paying attention to the tables.
So go for the food -- expect ok service.

Sandra M, Owner at Portabello's of Kennett Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Jeff,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent dining experience at Portabello's.
We welcome all comments as we continue to grow to help us identify areas in need of improvement. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal and hope on your next visit the entire experience is equally enjoyable. Once again, we appreciate your input.
Look forward to cooking for you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were in Kennett Square, the mushroom capital of the world, near Longwood Gardens and Winterthur. Chef Hulbert created an amazing vegan dish of Maitake mushrooms for me, while my husband enjoyed a wonderful mushroom soup and entrée of bronzini (fish). Our waiter was friendly, accommodating and attentive. Afterwards, Chef Hulbert personally greeted his patrons at every table. All in all, a very fine evening. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Dear Frugalmimm,
Thank you for your recent review. It is our goal to provide an excellent experience for all our diners. Reviews help us track our progress as we grow and also identify areas in need of improvement.
So glad you enjoyed your Vegan Entrée! We strive to accommodate special dietary needs and preferences.
Look forward to cooking for you again when you are in the area!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I went there with 4 friends (2 couples) for dinner this evening, and while the food was really good, the service was pretty dreadful. We'd had to book a table at 8pm as they'd said that they were fully booked earlier. When we go there, the place wasn't exactly busy.

The food was good, but the poor service really let things down. Our waiter seemed good to begin with, bu then we saw very little of him. Things we asked for never came, or if they did, it was only after asking repeatedly.

Our meal took over 3 hours, and while we were happy to talk, it wasn't that he was giving us space to do that.. it was more that he'd gone AWOL. An example was that he asked whether we'd like dessert, but then never came back to get the order.

During dinner, the chef came out and visited all of the tables. He seems a nice guy, and he's definitely put together a creative menu... now if only he can get wait staff who can deliver the accompanying level of service.

Dear Brittle_61,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We welcome all comments to help us improve and continue to grow. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner, but our goal is for you to enjoy the whole dining experience and you have pointed out where we can make some improvements. Thank you.
We would welcome the opportunity to cook for you again!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I were walking about Kennett Square on a mini-vacation and stopped to look at the restaurant's menu. The owner/wife talked with us about the restaurant and menu and then introduced us to her husband/owner/chef. We made the decision to return in the evening for dinner and we are really glad we did. We began our dining experience with the deep fried portabello fries - crispy, different, and great with the dipping sauce. My husband then had a bowl of the State Street Mushroom Soup and I had the Beet Salad which I loved. My husband had a bouillabaisse special. Our table was a high top near the prep and serving station. It was really cool to watch the dish be prepared. I had the surf and turf special which featured a butter-poached lobster tail. Oh my goodness it was magnificent!
The chef came and chatted with us tableside. What an impression he made. He didn't so much talk about their restaurant as he did about the area of Kennett Square. We came away with a real sense of the community these folks share. We loved it. And then to top it off we had a geographical connection in that he summered as a kid in the are where we live.
This evening was a delicious experience with both the food, the excellent service from our waiter, and the conversation with the owners. We would certainly go back when in the area next time.

Dear Kathleen,
Great to see your review on Trip Advisor and we thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience! I remember you and Brett talking about your beach connection!
We hope to cook for you again the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I went to Portabello's for a well deserved night out. The Food was delicious along with the ambiance of it all! We had an excellant waiter who made sure all of needs were met. We were greeted by the owners which I thought was a very nice touch. We didn't want to leave!! The kitchen which is open was clean and well organized. We definitely plan on making this restaurant our favorite.

Jum & Betty Fennelly

Dear Betty,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience! I am glad you and your husband enjoyed yourselves and we hope we will see you again soon!
Look forward to cooking for you again,