“Shabby Interior-Get a Fly Strip”
Review of Kempton Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kempton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Kempton
Cuisines: American
“Shabby Interior-Get a Fly Strip”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Was a customer here in the 80's and loved it. The place was nicely decorated, food was great with good service. Went in the late 90's expecting the same but the place had taken quite a down turn. The interior was the same but that's it. Food and service were no where near what they had been. Decides to give it a try again as there are not a huge number of places open other than chain restaurants on a Sunday. I try to avoid chains if at all possible.
Arriving I see gone are the red awnings that had been at the on the front windows prior. Walking up the steps to the front door you see two tall gray ash receptacles which are dirty and disgusting the perfect welcoming element to the entrance and some bikers asking is we had just gotten golfing. I guess that was due to the fact we were nicely dressed once inside we were greeted by the bar tender in a tee shirt and shorts, hardly an image for a formally nice restaurant. We were told we could sit anywhere. Going thru the bar area we sat in the room behind the bar. It was good to see the ceiling scenic paintings No table cloths which they had in days gone by the table looked like is had not been wiped lately. We were asked what we wanted to drink, on the website it plays up having craft beers brews. We asked for a beer menu and were told " what kind do you want I'll let you if we have it". We each took a bottle of Guinness, to be safe. Immediately after being seated and until leaving we were plagued by flys. In the table on the food in our faces, Get Some Fly Strips!!! The menu is concentrated on sandwiches with few dinner options and no daily specials. The food was average. My Ham Steak was served on the cool side the Roast Turkey was hot but the gravy was bland. The Asparagus was good, the fresh cut fries were okay but seemed old. All in all we will not rush back to the Kempton Hotel. If it would be as it was in the 80's I would be a regular and I'd have given it a top rating. Sadly I see it as a place to never go again.

• Visited August 2014

Kempton, Pennsylvania
“Not good”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Had oyster soup that tasted like water and lunch that was just awful. Mashed potatoes were instant and gravy from a can.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank john s
cherry hill nj
“THAT IS NOT A PICTURE OF THE KEMPTON HOTEL!!!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I initend no disrespect, but tha tIS NOT a picture of the Kempton Hotel. They have pretty good food and I like the bar, but it doesn't look like that picture. It looks much more like the Stoney run Hotel.

• Visited May 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Awesome Sunday breakfast!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were spending the day in the area, going apple picking, hiking at Hawk Mtn; not sure where to get breakfast on a Sunday at 9am, we happened upon this wonderful old hotel restaurant.

First of all - the place was rich in atmosphere. "Straight out of The Deer Hunter," said my husband. Murals painted on the ceiling depicting (in the dining room) great Americans through history, and (in the bar) a rural utopic idyll. Pretty sweet. Regulars sitting in the bar, chewing the fat with the bartender. An ancient cigarette machine. Old photos from days gone by.

But the size & quality of the breakfast was totally unexpected. Sausages, ham & bacon were very high quality local butchers'. French toast was enormous, home fries were done just right, even some interesting takes on the breakfast sandwich (horseradish & white cheese), or potato skins with peach salsa. My kids were very happy. Prices also made me very happy.

I'd be interested in going back for a lunch or dinner sometime we make another visit.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Lisa D
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
“Historic Hotel - Food for the entire family”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Food can be very good at times; depends on the day of the week and the amount of business. No major complaints; portions are very large; dining room is near the bar.

1 Thank Merrymonk