“The Lesser of Evils”

Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Johnstown
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Over the Labor Day weekend, my family attended a family event in Johnstown, PA. There really isn't a whole lot of choice in downtown Johnstown (or anywhere nearby for that matter), so we booked a reservation for two rooms. Upon arrival, we needed to get the reservations straightened out because there was a misunderstanding given that we booked two rooms. (The arrival dates were that same, but the check-out dates were different.) Once that was settled, we went to the rooms. The first room had a terrible odor (a cross between smoke and diapers). The second room was better. After the first night, our kids refused to stay in the first room, and we ended-up only using that room one night (and our bill was reduced accordingly).

The pool is downright disgusting. The paint on the bottom and sides of the pool is peeling off, and my wife said that the bottom of the deep end of the pool was slimy. Yuck. The worst was the carpet around the pool area. It actually had moss growing in it. The carpet which is gray actually looks green the closer you get to the pool. The board of health should shut it down until the problem is corrected.

The restaurant was a mixed experience. The food was generally good, but the breakfast buffet was mediocre at best. Food ordered off the menu was better. Service was good, but the staff seemed overwhelmed, and I think it would have been better to have a few more servers on duty during the breakfast hours of a busy holiday weekend.

The beds are small and quite uncomfortable for two people. Rooms with two beds are fitted with double beds that seem really cramped. Other family members had a room with what was billed as a king-size bed. That too looked a bit on the small side. The best feature of the room was that the TV had a lot of channels. One other minor annoyance, we were in the room for four nights but the small bar of soap and the small bottle of shampoo were never replaced.

Overall, the place looks and feels pretty worn out. Even the staff didn't look too happy to be there. The nicest place I found in the hotel was the men's restroom located near the front desk. It looked like it has just been remodeled. But why stop there? While they were at it, they should have continued the renovation. What this place needs is a little competition somewhere nearby.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

RoadWarriorNY ,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on our hotel. We appreciate your business and value your opinion very much. While we have updated the pool area, I have some additional news that I would like to share with you!
The Holiday Inn Downtown is getting a fresh start!!
Beginning November 1st, the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown will undergo a $2.6 million renovation, thoroughly upgrading guest rooms, guest corridors and the public spaces as well. I hope that you will stay with us again here sometime soon and have a chance to experience all of the great changes that are taking place. I also hope that you will continue sharing your experiences. I hope to see you soon! Have a great day! Cassie L. Malloy – Group Sales Manager

Reviewed June 3, 2008

Stayed two nights at the Downtown Holiday Inn. It's an above average Holiday Inn as it's owned by Crown American Corp which is based in Johnstown so anyone that comes to visit the company stays there...so it's kind of like their flagship hotel.

The room was clean and well appointed.

Stayed: June 2008

miska2000,
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review on our hotel. It is through the feedback of our valued customers that we can perfect future guest experiences. Our management and staff appreciate your business and we hope that you will be able to return soon to truly experience what makes us one of the Great Hotels that Guests Love!
Hope to see you soon!
Cassie Malloy – Group Sales Manager

Reviewed August 7, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding which was held at this location in the Crown Ballroom.

The room was clean and well maintained, but not very modernized. The staff was friendly and did a great job of cleaning the room. I had the breakfast from room service and everything was very good, hot, fast, and didn't cost very much either.

Don't go to Johnstown to find excitement, but if you are just traveling through this is a nice play to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple

beastbrad,
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We appreciate your honest opinion and your business very much. The Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown takes pride in providing 100% guest satisfaction everyday. It is through the feedback of our valued customers that we can perfect future guest experiences. Thank you again for taking time out of your day to help us make the Holiday Inn Downtown one of the great hotels guests love!
I hope that you will be able to visit us again soon.
Cassie Malloy - Group Sales Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2007

I stayed one night on my way to Pittsburgh for a family trip. I travel extensively with my job and normally avoid Holiday Inn properties. Most are outdated and deteriorating with 60's/70's era furniture. Many often smell. Not this property. I understand it was recently renovated, and it showed. The rooms were clean and modern. I ate at the restaurant with my family and was extremely satisfied with the menu, the quality of the food, and the service. The kids ate free and my wife and I enjoyed the upscale offerings (I enjoyed the sushi from the fresh sushi bar along with a nice, wild mushroom bisque).

Again, as someone from a big city (Washington, DC) and quite picky about hotels, I was pleasantly surprised with the accomodations and food here. I would definitely stay again. The best part was the fact that this hotel showed as a "premium" hotel (it was actually much nicer than the Hiton Pittsburgh we stayed in the following night), and it was cheaper than both the Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton Inn on the outskirts of town. The only reason for this must be the fact that most of the nightime eating and shopping are in those areas. Unfortunately, Downtown Johnstown, as lovely as it, is pretty deserted at night.

Stayed: July 2007

SpringfieldDan,
I am so happy to hear that our hotel here in Johnstown restored your faith in the Holiday Inn Brand! I think you will be happy to know that we are continuing to update our property and as always, striving for 100% guest satisfaction. I would like to thank you for such a kind and detailed review of our property. I hope that you and your family will return again soon.
Best Regards!
Cassie L. Malloy - Group Sales Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed at the Holiday Inn on two occassions.

The first time the room was clean and the check-in process went smoothly. Food was great at the bar but the bartender was very slow.

The second time the room was very dirty and the check-in was bad. The front desk didn't have my reservation and they made me a new reservation but they messed up the dates. They also didn't provide me with my arrival gift.

The restraunt food is great but the bar staff is horrible. The bartender just complianed about how busy he was but the bar only had three customers.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business

SammyfromPitt,
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! We appreciate your honest opinion and your business very much. The Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown takes pride in providing 100% guest satisfaction everyday. I do apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. I can promise you that your voice did not go unheard! It is through the feedback of our valued customers that we can perfect future guest experiences. Your truthful comments motivate us to set goals and to strive to be one of the great hotels that guests love.
I hope that you will come back and allow us to make up for your last visit.
Cassie Malloy - Group Sales Manager

Reviewed October 17, 2006

nice place - clean - but downtown where this is located has no nightlife - so you're pretty much stuck in the hotel - no outside restaurants, ice cream , anything to walk to - and the fromt desk has no idea about anything in the area or restaurants to choose from, etc - and stay away from the special "diet" menu in the hotel - smallest portions i have ever seen for too much money - otherwise it is a good, clean hotel and if that's what is important to you & you need to be here, you'll do okay

• Stayed: October 2006

joisey-joe,
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review on our hotel. It is through our guests reviews that we are able to create a create guest experience here at the Holiday Inn Downtown. I can assure you that your comments have already changes our training programs. We have now enhanced our front desk training and equipped our Guest Service Representatives with adequate information and maps to help our guests get out and experience Johnstown. Our management and staff appreciate your business and we hope that you will be able to return soon to experience the changes that you helped to facilitate. Hope to see you soon!
Cassie Malloy – Group Sales Manager

Reviewed August 1, 2006

This was the second leg of a Pennsylvania trip to visit friends and family. My wife and I stayed at this property before and were happy with it--the same held true this time.

The property compares favorably to other Holiday Inns I have stayed at. The hotel restaurant is actually pretty good (although not terribly innovative--this is Johnstown). My wife had an issue with one dish on our previous visit (salmon needed to be sent back, wasn't quite cooked through). No issues this time at all.

The lounge is pleasant--nice place to come and relax. Very accomodating when we wanted to get a light meal and a drink each. Friendly people. However, quite a few of the patrons smoke...but you can usually find a spot where that is less of an issue.

Rooms have been very nice--our King room included a microwave and refrigerator. We were recognized as Priority Club members, which was nice (we don't have status in the program, but they still seemed to care).

We will no doubt return the next time we come to Johnstown.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank burnessis

burnessis ,
Thank you so much for your great review of our property. The Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown prides itself on our ability to provide our guests with the accommodations that our business travelers value. It is our continued goal to provide 100% customer satisfaction and to be a great hotel that our guests love. I hope that you will stay with us again soon!
Cassie L. Malloy – Group Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
5 mi away
Hampton Inn Somerset
Hampton Inn Somerset
#1 of 12 in Somerset
Hampton Inn & Suites Blairsville at Chestnut Ridge

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown? Share your experiences!