“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Johnstown
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was located in downtown Johnstown, but were very impressed with the hotel itself. The lobby and restaurant are beautiful - and look like new. The restaurant food was great. We normally don't eat in hotel restaurants but arrived after a long day in the car and didn't want to go out again. The rooms were well decorated and very clean and comfortable. The only downside to the hotel was that there is not really much around it downtown to walk to. The Inclined Plane is a few blocks away as is the Flood Museum and War Memorial but the area otherwise is a little too quiet for walking around in the evening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Turnturnturn
MelissaBird_JSTMK, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for noticing the recent remodel of our hotel! In 2011 we underwent an extensive $2 million top-to-bottom renovation and are very proud of the beautiful property we have to offer! I will be sure to pass your kind words along to the restaurant/kitchen staffs as well as the housekeepers for a job well done. We are within walking distance of a variety of area attractions you listed such as the War Memorial and the Incline Plane, as well as restaurants and other businesses. Next time you are in the area please inquire to the front desk staff about things nearby to do. We would love to assist you in any way we can!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Pretty good overall. Good service (great recpetionist, very helpful), nice staff and ok /clean accomodation. It wasn't as bad as i anticipated, so i really was pleasantly surprised.
The restaurant was nice too and judging by the international presence of their guests, it must be spoken about outside of the country.
The pool is nice and welcome after a day in the heat.
A few foreign channels would still be a plus, especially if you drag such an international clientele. (french channels at least, canada is around the corner)
All good really. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel. I enjoyed my stay so much when I came through town last year, I couldn't wait to stay here again. The facility is fairly modern and very clean and well maintained. I think my stay got off on a bad start when i realized that they assigned me the room that was next to the elevator shaft. (as a platinum priority club member I, on occasion, get a room upgrade even if it is as simple as not being on the elevator wall) My sink and toilet shared a wall with the elevator. The sink countertop shook every time an elevator went by. At night I could hear the elevator most of the night and then again in the early AM. Small details were also ignored(i.e. there were two clocks in the room, the microwave was 10 minutes fast and the alarm clock was 3 hours fast). At breakfast the room wasn't full but the staff seemed overwhelmed. The hostess sat us and asked for a drink order. My son ordered hot chocolate which is usually served in a mug with whipped cream. She came back with warmed chocolate milk served in a clear pint glass(like the ones they serve beer in) with no handle. When i asked, she said that was how it is served. She then forgot to send a waitress over to take our order. The bartender Lori was a bright spot though. She is very professional and funny and I notice her give very personal attention to each of the patrons that were there. An absolute pleasure!
The location is great, walking distance from the Johnstown flood museum, Johnstown's incline plane, and the quaint town park. What a great small town feel! Overall I'd definately recommend this place. Everyone has a bad day now and then but hopefully management continues to strive to be the best!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the majority your time with us. I apologize for the elevator noise that you experienced and the issues that you had in the restaurant however. I will certainly pass along your feedback and we will do our best to get these issues worked out. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is honest feedback like yours that helps us make our hotel property the best that it can be. Take care :)
somewhere on a lumpy mattress
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Not having frequented a full-service Holiday Inn in a very long time, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you if the Holiday Inn Johnstown-Downtown is average or above-average for the chain, but I can say it was a pleasant stay.

The facility is well-maintained, friendly, and mercifully smoke-free, with abundant on-site parking ($3/day). Rooms feature free, reliable high-speed internet and a nice flatscreen TV with dozens of channels. The bed includes clearly-marked soft and hard pillows and is a good night's sleep. Climate control is via one of those in-the-wall units that's a bit on the noisy side and blows right on you if you sit at the desk. The bathroom is spartan, with the dinkiest of soaps and shampoo, but very generous with the towels. There is no in-room safe. Curiously, there don't seem to be any “Do Not Disturb” signs anywhere in the hotel, at least on my floor; if you're a late sleeper I suggest you bring your own.

Downstairs is the oddly-named Harrigan's Cafe & Wine Deck, a thoroughly passable hotel restaurant; just stick to the basics and don't get adventurous and you'll be fine here. Aside from a nearby Subway shop, the three worthwhile dining establishments within walking distance are Gallina's Pizza & Restaurant, serving a really good pizza and hearty Italian entrees; Em's Original Sub Shop, with some excellent grinders and homemade snacks; and Scott's By Dam, a tidy little bar that serves meatloaf and the like but is locally renown for its gigantic (yet oddly bland) tacos. Oh, and this is the middle of fracking country; drink bottled water.

If you have business in downtown Johnstown, this is the place to stay. Just make sure your business is actually downtown...a lot of what's called Johnstown has moved up the hill into the suburbs, not an inconsiderable drive (and a nearly impossible-to-score taxi) away.

P.S.: There's a sidewalk cafe on the ground floor, in the front, that can be pretty noisy on warm summer nights. You can avoid the commotion by asking for a high-numbered room, which sit on the other end of the building.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. It sounds as though you were really able to experience a little bit of Johnstown while you were with us! It is great to know that you were able to frequent our restaurant Harrigan's Cafe & Wine Deck as well. I hope you will be back to visit us again soon! Enjoy the rest of your summer :)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had originally booked another hotel in the area. Upon reading the reviews, I decided to stay elsewhere. We are so very happy that we did. This hotel was surprisingly wonderful. The entire staff was friendly and extremely accomodating. Our room was very clean and well appointed. The lobby was comfortable and inviting. Very convenient parking.

They have a wonderful restaurant. The food was good, the atmosphere was wonderful! Maybe a bit overpriced for some travelers ( dinners going up into the $30 range), but we enjoyed it. I can't say enough about the staff. From the hostess to the manager. Very warm and friendly. It also had an adjoining bar, with an imressive wine list.

They had a very nice pool, hot tub, gym and sauna. Everything appeared to be very clean and well kept. Truly a gem of a hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank shellerenee
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on our property! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I hope you have a great summer and will return to see us again soon! Take care :)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here on a busy thursday night. There was some sort of religious convention in town so the place was packed! We checked in pretty late and checked out pretty early so it was only a quick stop but we enjoyed the time we did spend. The pool area was very nice! Very large i did not expect it to be that big and they had a sauna which you dont see too often. The whole hotel is newly renovated and they only way i could even tell it was an old hotel was the doors to the room. The rooms themselves were a decent size. We had 2 adults and 2 kids and were not cramped at all. Beds were very comfterble. I would reccomend to anyone visiting the Johnstown area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PAmommyof1
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
PAmommyof1,
Thanks for your review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us. I hope that next time you are in the Johnstown area, you will stop back to say hello and will be able to spend some more time with us! Have a great summer :)
Flemington, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn - Downtown Johnstown (PA) at 250 Market Street. What a horrible stay.

Let me first say that in prior years, I have stayed there many times, with great success. Not so this time. Absolutely horrible. We were billed incorrectly, they charged us for 2 vehicles, when I specifically said we only had one (we booked 2 connecting rooms, since we have small children).

The restaurant food was greasy, and made my husband and I ill. We ordered takeout from Harrigans, and my husband had to go back three times because of mistakes on the order. THREE TIMES. They didn't include forks, knives or spoons. They forgot the children's milk. They didn't put salad dressing in my husband's salad. They didn't fully remove the shells from my shrimp Caesar salad. Part of it was removed - I never knew what I was going to get when I bit into it. The greens were limp, and not fresh. The noodles on my husband's Asian salad were dripping in grease, and therefore dripping onto his (limp) salad greens.

Don't even get me started on our rooms' cleanliness.

We were there for a family wedding, and had posted the "come back soon" sign on our door - our children's room was already serviced. I saw a maid down the hall, and asked her if it were possible for them to come back in a little while. She was very rude - blew me off - told me flat out "I don't do that room - it's not my job". Didn't point me to the correct maid, even though there were other cleaning carts in the vicinity.

I went back to the room, and started getting the children ready for the wedding. My husband came back from his third visit to the restaurant, and brought in a sign from the maid saying that our room would not be serviced, even though we had the come back soon sign. I had to call the front desk, and advise them what happened. They told me someone would be there to clean within the 1/2 hour- fine - great.

We came back late that night after the wedding to find that our beds were barely made - all she did was pull up the sheets, whereas our children had brand new linens, tucked in sheets, etc, the bathroom had not been cleaned - all the maid did was put in a few new towels, and take out the trash. The floor was dirty, and had not been vacuumed.

During the night, there were people running up and down the halls partying - at 1am! I told the front desk staff when I checked out that morning, and not even an apology!!!

The next morning was check-out. While packing up things, we checked under the beds as we normally do, to ensure we had all the children's toys. How disgusting. Bottle caps, a box of old crackers, sippy cups, crumbs, tissues, etc. Repulsive.

I am SO disgusted. Had I known the room was THAT dirty, we never would have stayed in this hotel. It makes me wonder about bedbugs, dirty sheets/pillows. As it is - we will never stay in the Holiday Inn - Downtown Johnstown hotel again. I am so upset, so disappointed. I have stayed there many times, for many years without a problem - this was disgusting, degrading, offensive, unhealthy, unsanitary. Not again.

So far, I have emailed the general manager, as well as Priority Club, and heard nothing from the gm. Just makes me even angrier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NJlovesVA
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the service that you received from the staff at Harrigan's, the Kitchen staff, and our Housekeeping staff members. A great guest experience should be top priority, and I assure you that is how our teams are trained, despite your recent encounter.
Because of your experience though, we have scheduled a Management meeting to discuss where we went wrong with putting the customer first and how we can change our shortcomings in the future.

I hope that you do not let this experience tarnish your faith in us. We take our customer reviews very seriously and really use them to better ourselves in the future. Because of your willingness to share your thoughts, the staff at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown can only get better from here. I hope that you will remember all of the times that you stayed with us in the past with out incident and give us another opportunity to win you back.

Travelers are raving about these Johnstown hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Hampton Inn Johnstown
Ramada Ligonier
Ramada Ligonier
#1 of 1 in Ligonier
Hampton Inn & Suites Blairsville

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown? Share your experiences!