“Very nice!”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Johnstown
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Very nice!”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here on a busy thursday night. There was some sort of religious convention in town so the place was packed! We checked in pretty late and checked out pretty early so it was only a quick stop but we enjoyed the time we did spend. The pool area was very nice! Very large i did not expect it to be that big and they had a sauna which you dont see too often. The whole hotel is newly renovated and they only way i could even tell it was an old hotel was the doors to the room. The rooms themselves were a decent size. We had 2 adults and 2 kids and were not cramped at all. Beds were very comfterble. I would reccomend to anyone visiting the Johnstown area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PAmommyof1
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
PAmommyof1,
Thanks for your review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us. I hope that next time you are in the Johnstown area, you will stop back to say hello and will be able to spend some more time with us! Have a great summer :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn - Downtown Johnstown (PA) at 250 Market Street. What a horrible stay.

Let me first say that in prior years, I have stayed there many times, with great success. Not so this time. Absolutely horrible. We were billed incorrectly, they charged us for 2 vehicles, when I specifically said we only had one (we booked 2 connecting rooms, since we have small children).

The restaurant food was greasy, and made my husband and I ill. We ordered takeout from Harrigans, and my husband had to go back three times because of mistakes on the order. THREE TIMES. They didn't include forks, knives or spoons. They forgot the children's milk. They didn't put salad dressing in my husband's salad. They didn't fully remove the shells from my shrimp Caesar salad. Part of it was removed - I never knew what I was going to get when I bit into it. The greens were limp, and not fresh. The noodles on my husband's Asian salad were dripping in grease, and therefore dripping onto his (limp) salad greens.

Don't even get me started on our rooms' cleanliness.

We were there for a family wedding, and had posted the "come back soon" sign on our door - our children's room was already serviced. I saw a maid down the hall, and asked her if it were possible for them to come back in a little while. She was very rude - blew me off - told me flat out "I don't do that room - it's not my job". Didn't point me to the correct maid, even though there were other cleaning carts in the vicinity.

I went back to the room, and started getting the children ready for the wedding. My husband came back from his third visit to the restaurant, and brought in a sign from the maid saying that our room would not be serviced, even though we had the come back soon sign. I had to call the front desk, and advise them what happened. They told me someone would be there to clean within the 1/2 hour- fine - great.

We came back late that night after the wedding to find that our beds were barely made - all she did was pull up the sheets, whereas our children had brand new linens, tucked in sheets, etc, the bathroom had not been cleaned - all the maid did was put in a few new towels, and take out the trash. The floor was dirty, and had not been vacuumed.

During the night, there were people running up and down the halls partying - at 1am! I told the front desk staff when I checked out that morning, and not even an apology!!!

The next morning was check-out. While packing up things, we checked under the beds as we normally do, to ensure we had all the children's toys. How disgusting. Bottle caps, a box of old crackers, sippy cups, crumbs, tissues, etc. Repulsive.

I am SO disgusted. Had I known the room was THAT dirty, we never would have stayed in this hotel. It makes me wonder about bedbugs, dirty sheets/pillows. As it is - we will never stay in the Holiday Inn - Downtown Johnstown hotel again. I am so upset, so disappointed. I have stayed there many times, for many years without a problem - this was disgusting, degrading, offensive, unhealthy, unsanitary. Not again.

So far, I have emailed the general manager, as well as Priority Club, and heard nothing from the gm. Just makes me even angrier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NJlovesVA
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the service that you received from the staff at Harrigan's, the Kitchen staff, and our Housekeeping staff members. A great guest experience should be top priority, and I assure you that is how our teams are trained, despite your recent encounter.
Because of your experience though, we have scheduled a Management meeting to discuss where we went wrong with putting the customer first and how we can change our shortcomings in the future.

I hope that you do not let this experience tarnish your faith in us. We take our customer reviews very seriously and really use them to better ourselves in the future. Because of your willingness to share your thoughts, the staff at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown can only get better from here. I hope that you will remember all of the times that you stayed with us in the past with out incident and give us another opportunity to win you back.
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I walked into the Holiday Inn in stressed out and in tears. Tracy at the front desk was warm comforting and capable. In addition to getting me the best rate she could, she gave me a Priority Gift bag...I really appreciated the chocolate.

All the staff here makes an effort to treat you well, from the dining room and bar staff to the shuttle and house cleaning staff.

I've stayed in a lot of chain hotels. This is the first that didn't treat me like an anonymous customer.

Thanks to the entire staff for making a difficult trip a little easier.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
redheadca,
I am so glad to hear that our staff was able to brighten your day. Thanks so much for sharing! I hope that next time you are in Johnstown you will stop by to see us again. Have a great summer! :) Take care!
Ohio
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Me and a old buddy had a road trip and visited here after a ten mile day hike at nearby Laural Highlands trail. Although it was the hottest day of the year (so far) the temperature at the high elevation was cool enough on the trail. After, we drove to Johnstown to stay at the HI. No problems here. The room was clean and beds comfortable. The bar is large and accomodating. Staff seemed happy. Our reservation deal was for room and breakfast, but the breakfast credit is only $20 per room. A bit stingy, I'd say. Breakfast was just OK. The sausage was good but the home fries were dried and stringy. The OJ had that concentrate taste. The hotel area was convenient to the incline and the museum.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sunbu
, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on your stay! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I am also glad that you were able to make it out to the Laurel Highlands trail. That really is a great trail and one of the many that are in the Johnstown area. If I can ever make any suggestions on others, please let me know. Have a great day & we hope to see you soon! Have a great summer!! :)
Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is not your grandmother's Holiday Inn!

Having read other reviews, I figured the Holiday Inn Johnstown (downtown) was a safe bet. That proved true as our stay was delightful from check-in to check-out! The staff was great, the room was clean and clearly had been remodeled recently. The beds were extremely comfortable (with a selection of soft and firm pillows). The room included a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer and flat screen TV. The bathroom was a good size with plenty of counter space.

At reservation time, I'd requested a room on the top floor with a view of the Inclined Plane. My requests were fulfilled. Room 602 has a fabulous view of the Inclined Plane and the magnificent American flag flying at the top of the incline! The night view, with the Inclined Plane and flag illuminated, was gorgeous!

To Note: There is a $3.00 parking fee. No pay-per-view in the rooms, but they do have HBO and cable. No free breakfast. Room service is available, but we didn't try that or the restaurant in the hotel.

Tips: Take a trip on the Inclined Plane and have dinner at the City View Bar and Grill at the top.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors, facing the Inclined Plane!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Magic_Travelers
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Magic Travelers,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown! The view of the Inclined Plane and surrounding mountainside really is breathtaking. I am so glad that you were able to take it all in while you were in town and I am ecstatic that we lived up to our reputation and reviews. :) I hope that you will come back to visit again soon! Have a great summer!!
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I've stayed at the hotel several times, and with the recent remodel I felt compelled to comment. I have always enjoyed the staff; very friendly and accomodating. The folks in the bar are terrific and willing to help guide your selection, plus they seem interested in you. (They must do some good training, as the housekeepers also go out of their way to greet you)
The remodel has made it much more contemporary.
It is a highlight of Johnstown

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank J H
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
So glad to hear that you enjoy your time with us! It is great to hear that the renovation and additional training are making an impact on our guests :) Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! I hope you will visit us again soon!
Spotswood, New Jersey
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this Holiday Inn. It was probably the nicest Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at. The lobby was clean and welcoming, the business center was well equipped, the room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Also, the on site restaurant was really good- they even had room service! I was really impressed by the quality of my stay. I've stayed at the Hampton Inn in Johnstown, too, and this Holiday Inn is nicer. I also liked that it is downtown. I was able to go for a walk easily and go to the stores and see some of the sites. it's only a few blocks from the inclined plane. We took a ride up to the top and had a lovely dinner overlooking the valley as the sub set. I would definitely stay here again if I have to come back to Johnstown.

• Stayed June 2012
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments! i am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly appreciate your business and hope that you will return to see us again soon! Take care & have a great summer!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Hampton Inn Johnstown
Ramada Ligonier
Ramada Ligonier
#1 of 1 in Ligonier
Hampton Inn & Suites Blairsville

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown? Share your experiences!