“This is the best restaurant in this area..... by far!”
Review of Back Door Cafe

Back Door Cafe
Ranked #7 of 174 Restaurants in Johnstown
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Eat here every chance I can. Always enjoy the food and the experience. The very few negative reviews here leave me gob smacked! Bon appetite! Good time with great food. Doesn't get much better.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've been to the Back Door on three occasions with my friends. Each time, we were pleased with the quality of the food ,but the service is the reason we will never go back. I get that they are aiming for a fine dining experience, however they are a far cry from delivering that type of service. Specifically, the wait staff is not overly friendly. They come off with a stuffy presentation. We had to request dessert and coffee with two of our visits. How do you not offer dessert? No refills offered on the coffee or water, but plenty of refills offered on our specialty drinks. They were unable to accommodate a cash and credit card payment and bulked "behind the scene" about splitting our check. At least complain about the customers out of ear shot. We then had to prove that we were given the wrong change. Waiter and hostess(owner?) talking in a condescending tone towards us about the check. When they realized that we were short changed by $10 there was no apology or acknowledgment of error other than a $10 bill being laid on the table as they walked away. Overall, VERY disappointed with customer service. So many little things added up to a very frustrating evening.

4  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This restaurant always does a fantastic job. Out of town guests from DC and NYC often tell us this is as good as it gets when we take them there. Everything made from scratch, and creative chef's creations, coupled with a unique cozy atmosphere set this appart from other local options.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Thank goodness for this restaurant. I've been traveling to this area for a while and I always make it one of my MUST spots to eat. This area isn't known for their restaurants and this is definitely a gem among all the mediocre places in this town.

The menu changes frequently and it's alway a wonderful surprise to see what they are serving from the local farms. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and very willing to modify the menu for dietary needs.

Oh, they are closed on Monday and reservations are strongly recommended since it is not that large of a restaurant.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I read the reviews and was especting a nice evening. What I got was very overpriced and over rated poor food. A hostess described a very tasty sounding half chicken flavoredr with a spicy rub and juicy inside and some delicious sounding potatoes only to return and advise me they didn't have potaotoes tonight, really?. Even McDonalds has potatoes. What I got was a dry tasteless piece of chicken with some rice a roni. (The description of the rice sounded great too). I assume the atmosphere is described as "quaint", let me interpret that for you, it means crowded and uncomfortable. NEVER AGAIN and I will also warn my friends.

3  Thank Bill I