“Excellent Service”

Coal Tubin' Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Provided excellent service and had a great time on the river. Not sure why the previous reviewer felt the river was dirty. I found it to be the exact opposite. Day tripped in from Pittsburgh and had a wonderful experience. The scenery leaves a little to be desired but it was well worth the trip and expense.

3  Thank Joel C

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have gone to Coal Tubin numerous times. I have gone on the whitewater rafting trips and the float down the river on tubes. Every time I have gone I have had a blast. When you arrive, the staff seems genuinely excited to see you. They want you to have a good time. Whether you are tubing or whitewater rafting, they take you to a drop off point up river, so you can float back down to their facility. During that time, they explain a little about what to expect. I must say they are also quite entertaining. At times they have had me laughing so hard I thought about asking to ride around with them for the rest of the day. It was through Coal Tubin that I had my first experience whitewater rafting. I really didn’t know what to expect, and I can understand completely how someone could be slightly nervous about this activity. However, the guides are so knowledgeable about the river. They taught us the skills we needed to navigate the river in the very beginning, and I felt completely confident. Due to their knowledge and experience on the river, I believe anyone can participate in this activity. I strongly urge you to go to them if it is your first time, because I learned a lot, had a great time, and felt very comfortable and safe. In addition to their expertise regarding the river, they know a lot about the history, vegetation and wildlife you see as you are doing your float. It was very interesting to hear about those things. The times I went whitewater rafting we were in the boat with some other people we didn’t know. Coal Tubin brought the group together so easily it was almost as if we were all friends. The float on the tubes down the river has always been a great time also. It is relaxing, and l love the fact that they supply you with cord to tie everyone’s tubes together. This allows your group to remain a group and enjoy the day with each other. I strongly suggest anyone who has the opportunity to give Coal Tubin a try. You won’t be disappointed, and I guarantee you will be back!!

7  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Our whitewater river rafting trip May 4, 2013 and June, 2012 were outstanding, through the Stonycreek River Canyon, just south of Johnstown, Pa., on the longest stretch of whitewater rapids in the eastern U.S.. The guides and equipment on both trips were excellent, with good preparation instructions as to what to expect and how to handle the situation if you happen to leave the raft momentarily. I happened to be the first overboard on this trip, but made a quick recovery. No prior experience is required. The owner of Coal Tubin, Chad, is very personable and runs a good operation. We've also gone tubing with them, which is nice in warmer weather on a milder stretch of the river going into Johnstown. We'll be returning next year for rafting during the Quemahoning Dam water releases, and probably tubing in the meantime.

2  Thank Larry H
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Seems like a pretty cool concept, until you take into consideration the "river" that you're tubing on. Despite efforts to clean it up, it still looks dirty and has a distinct odor to it, which will permeate your clothing and leave you wanting for a hot shower and a case of soap. The staff is hired summer help- local kids out of school for the summer. They’re much more interested in checking out the girls in bikinis and short shorts than actually helping customers. They don’t know if they sell gift certificates, they don’t know if they still honor the internet coupons, they don’t know if they can accommodate company trips. They do, however, know where that girl across the street falls on the “hotness scale”. There’s that, I guess…

8  Thank Jenn S