“Not bad, not great”

Ranked #11 of 174 Restaurants in Johnstown
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2014

For some reason I've always been drawn to an old fashioned steak and seafood place, and this place certainly fits the bill. The décor seemed clean and well maintained - yeah, the chairs are dated, but it kind of fits. We were seated in the nearly empty restaurant by someone who seemed somewhat annoyed that we were there (7 PM on a Thursday). After an uncomfortably long period of time a friendly waiter finally came to the table and took our orders. As others have noted it starts with the soup/salad bar. The soup (clam chowder) was unfortunately disappointing, largely because it just wasn't particularly hot (nor am I sure it ever actually crossed paths with a clam). The remainder was fine - lots of variety, mostly appeared fresh (although the cucumber slice had clearly been there for awhile). Entrees arrived when we were part way through the salad. My wife's steak and scallops were actually not bad. They brought me the wrong entrée, but it was close enough. I had to laugh at the review below that commented that there was too much butter, because what mine really needed was some melted butter. Oh well. All in all, in the end, it's just okay.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I grew up near Johnstown and had never been to Surf n' Turf. My first time there was fantastic! We went to celebrate my brother's graduation and we all enjoyed the high quality seafood and friendly staff! Perfect for a special night out!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Five (5) of us ate dinner here on Easter Saturday. We arrived at about 5:30 (we had reservations for 6:00) and our table was ready. They have an excellent choice of options on their menu, and they are one of the few places left in Johnstown that has a wonderful salad bar. The salad bar options include two (2) soups and many homemade items, including kidney bean salad, pea salad, potato & macaroni salads, and lots of fresh selections, including beets. Also provided at the table are wonderful dinner rolls.

Our five meals, including two appetizers (mushroom caps and frog legs), two beer, two glasses of wine & three dishes of ice cream, averaged about $40 per person, tip included. It was worth every penny. I ordered the broiled crab cakes, as did my mom. Each serving contained two (2) medium sized cakes that were loaded with fresh crab (almost no filler). My daughter had the medium rare prime rib (that was huge and medium rare). My dad ordered the liver and onions (which was so large he took half of it home with him) & my husband ordered steak, which was done perfectly.

My only regret is that I don't remember the name of our waitress. She was wonderful-it is refreshing to patronize a restaurant where the wait staff knows that they are doing. She was attentive without being hovering.

What a great way to spend the holiday with family. I would not hesitate to return there. The ambience is the type that a special occasion would be even more special if spent there.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Surf n' Turf Inn in Johnstown, PA is one of the best restaurants for special occasions. You can get their delicious Veal Parmigiana that is a large portion with lots of cheese. My favorite is the Prime Rib of Beef. Again a large portion that's tender and juicy. There's also a soup and salad bar. The atmosphere is pleasant. It's on the pricey side, but well worth it.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

One of the best meals around, as we drive over from Altoona on a monthly basis. Altoona has nothing close to the quality you'll find here. 14oz Stuffed Lobster tail is delicious and the pork chops were divine on this last visit.
Service is always consistent.