“Very good food”

Asiago Tuscan Italian Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 176 Restaurants in Johnstown
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Asiago's is a Tuscan Italian restaurant that specializes in using only the freshest ingredients and homemade sauces to create unique appetizers, entrees & desserts. Our upscale Romanesque atmosphere creates the perfect environment for your lunch, dinner, engagement party, anniversary, birthday or what ever the occasion. Located atop the Johnstown Incline with a scenic view of the Johnstown skyline, Asiago's is the perfect choice for all of lifes special moments.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I went for a Sunday afternoon late lunch. Had an excellent meal. I had the tortelucci and my husband had chic parm. Very good fresh food. Great flavors, average portions for the price. Nice variety on the menu. Make sure if you go you get a good waiter/waitress. The gal we had did not even give us the full version of the daily specials. She was in a big hurry with us. She was way more attentive to a larger party than to the two of us. Service (with her) was very poor. The other waiters were providing great service to their diners. Too bad about her, but we won't let it stop us from going back. Focus on the food and the surroundings. Nice day out in Johnstown. Good for families and couples. We are looking forward to going back our next time in town.

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Cosmopolitan styling, storybook view of downtown lights at nighttime, delicious food, drinks served with panache. I was greatly surprised by this find in of all places -- "Johnstown"! Perched on the hilltop above the city it may not be the easiest place to find (when we googled the restaurant name, it gave us a Scalp Avenue location.). Once we actually got there , the service was quick and knowledgeable. Bubble Bread is a must have appetizer. I had the shark special that was wonderful-moist and flavorful. Food was plated beautifully and you can get lost in their dipping oil. My chocolate stout came rimmed in chocolate sauce - a unexpected enhancement that was delightful. Enjoyable evening. Would go back in a heartbeat

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Who would have thought that fine dining in a beautiful atmosphere would be found in Johnstown! This restaurant is at the top of the incline and not especially easy to get to after all the snow we've had, but worth it. The waiter was especially patient with our somewhat boisterous table - it was a reunion party afterall!

While the cuisine is traditional Italian, the presentation is definitely urban chic. I enjoyed the fancy and varied shaped dishes. Food was very good - not great - but very good. I had the tortellini and chicken. My friends had a variety of other dishes and everyone enjoyed their meal.

Dinners ranged from $14 for pastas to $33 for steaks. Not high priced at all but more than the typical Johnstown market.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

They changed their bread from when they first opened to average lukewarm table bread. Food is just above average….enough to keep me coming back. Pricey for sure, but setting is romantic for a date night with candlelit tables and black/white decor. Staff is nice and they even kept some of the employees from the previous restaurant that was there. We go about once every 5 months.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Johnstown doesn't have that many restaurants, and the restaurants it does have are chain/franchise. I've been searching for a good local restaurant with excellent food, service, and atmosphere. I like a restaurant that makes me feel like I'm not in "depressing Johnstown," and this restaurant did that!

My family and I came here on a Thursday evening around 6:30. We had five in our group, all adults. When we got there, the hostess asked if we had a reservation. Though not many people were there and half the place was available, I can understand that she asked to make sure we didn't call ahead of time to reserve a table for our group. We were seated immediately next to the large windows that overlook the scenic Johnstown. I highly recommend coming here when its dark. They have candles everywhere and the atmosphere and cozy and romantic. I’m not sure how it would have looked when it was light out.

There weren't that many people there. I believe they even had some wine tasting group that evening, but you wouldn't have known it due to the levels of seating. We were waited on immediately by a wonderful man (I cannot remember his name). He immediately poured water and explained that they have daily specials.

We decided to order their special appetizer pizza with spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and a variety of other things, along with some crab dip. He brought out the bread and dipping oil as well (though we did not like the dipping oil – it had no flavor. And the bread wasn’t that great either. My husband described it like hoagie bread. It wasn’t very soft.) The special appetizer pizza was amazing!! It was gone in almost seconds, though it was very large. Our group of 5, had about 2-3 pieces each and was very filling! The crab dip was really good too. It came with some smaller pieces of crunchy bread.

For our main entrée, I got the Caribbean Jerk Chicken Pasta. It had an asiago sauce that is similar to Alfredo sauce. There was plenty of sauce, definitely didn’t lack. The chicken had great taste, though I think it was a tad bit dry and could have been juicer. My husband ordered the steak with potatoes and green beans. He said it was one of the most amazing dishes he had in a while. He normally is a sandwich guy, so for him to order steak was surprising, especially since he loved it! I tried some of his steak and it was so delicious and juicy! He ordered it medium well, and it turned out perfect! I highly recommend the steak! I believe that is what I will be getting the next time we go.

As for the rest of our group, they had ordered the Mediterranean Chicken Pasta, with a lemon butter sauce, however it was lacking on the amount of sauce – a bit on the dry side. Another ordered the Crab Fettuccini and said it was amazing! It looked like it had plenty of sauce. All the pasta dishes had a lot of on the plate. They definitely didn’t skimp! The other person in our group ordered the chicken Parm and said it was really good as well.

The service was wonderful, though I can’t tell how it would be on a busy night. But the waiter was very friendly, and recommended many dishes for us. He also was spot on with refills.

The atmosphere was great too. Like I said, I’m not sure how it would be in the daylight, but at night, it’s very romantic and cozy. If you have a larger group like us, you may be able to sit in the white booth on the corner. It was very private and we did not hear any other conversation, including the wine tasting group up above us. They have a bar area with plenty of tables, as well as a balcony outside in the summer overlooking the scenic view.

I highly recommend this place and can’t wait to take our friend there this weekend! I plan on getting the steak and potatoes!