“Just a place to sleep.”

Econo Lodge Johnstown
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Johnstown
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We really don't expect much from this hotel - which is just what we got. The bed was dished in the middle & the sheets were limp at best. The room was very small but clean. There is no place within walking distance to eat. The breakfast was cold cereal or white bread toasted, no fruit or yogart & machine coffee. It was a cheap place to spend the night. The staff was just about as dull as the facility.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is the first time in my life that parking has ever been a major problem at a motel - ever. There are simply not enough spaces for the rooms they have, so Every morning when I get in from work, I have to park in the neighboring business's lot, and hope my car does not get towed away.
The room it's self is average, nothing special about it. Price is $275 a week, which is below average for a "name brand" motel.
Room service is non-existent ( I work night shift ).
Save your receipts - twice they booked me as staying a day, when I payed for the week.
The "continental" breakfast consists of stale bagels, and coffee.
If you have an expensive car ( or have expensive things in your car ), what ever you do, do not stay here. There have been problems of cars being broken into.

As far as good things to say about this place - It's the closest motel I could find to the job, that was not full. There is a Sheetz right next door.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My son had to have surgery at Lee Hospital earily so I book this hotel to save the earily morning comute due to the weather. When we arrived it was 7:30 pm and there was no spaces in the lot to park. Had to drive around the lot sever times along with 3 other cars waiting for someone to leave, It was like playing the game duck duck goose. Was place on the 3rd floor when there were several college kid who I guess never stayed in a hotel and thought it was cool to run up and down the hall until someone told them about it around 11:30. I was impressed that the gentalmen I spoke to when booking the room remembered my name when I check in,
The beds was like sleeping on the FLOOR. Actually I think that the floor would have been softer. I had to keep rolling because my shoulder and hips were getting sore from the bed being so hard. Some people like that, but not me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and i have stayed at this hotel three times before. Although the room and bathroom were clean, there were many short comings. First, the bed was as soft as jello with a dent in the middle. We had to sleep on the edge so as to not get sucked into the middle. Second, the bed was short sheeted - they placed full size sheets (marked with a 'F') on a queen size bed. This made for a chilly night as the covers did not completely cover two adults! Third, the TV channels were not as advertised and the listing was not up to date. Fourth, and very important to the modern day traveler, the "high speed internet" that was advertised was no where to be found. Luckly our room was close enough for me to use the signal from the Sheetz next door. We will be looking for a new place when we return to Johnstown.

Room Tip: Don't sleep here!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My daughter and I visited Johnstown last year over the holidays and decided to stay there for two nights-we were visiting family and just needed a bed at night . The room was your basic, lower cost hotel room-clean but nothing out of the ordinary-which was all we needed.
The owner was nice, but he needs to be more selective in who he rent rooms to. In the middle of the night we were awakened to doors slamming (and I mean slamming), people running up and down the hallways, and LOUD talking in the hall & next door, which went on all night. This writer finally called the front desk to complain. The staff did go up and speak with the rude guests, but it continued nonetheless. The next morning we checked out (a day early). The exhasperated clerk explained that the owner had booked a rock band into the room adjoining ours! She said that they were sitting out on the ledge of their 2nd floor window, and she had treatened to call the police on them. From her comments, it appeared that this was not the first time that the owner has offered rooms to those with questionable behaviors, without any thought to the havoc they would create for other guests. .

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AnnR327
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Normally we stay at Marriott's or Hilton's so we were a little concerned. The folks at the desk were very pleasant and check in was quick and painless. The walls were a little thin and the hallways could use some new carpet but I have no complaints about our room or the staff.

If you are looking for clean comfortable room for a low price in Johnstown I would recommend the Econ Lodge.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is the lowest rating I have ever given a hotel or anything for that matter. My 1st mistake was believing the man who made the reservations..told him we needed 1 room large enough for a cot and w/2 double/queen beds...he advised this Econo Lodge had a non pet friendly (requested room due to allergies) room available and to ask for the cot upon arrival...told him I wanted to ck w/tripadvisor or hotel direct and would call back, he then advised that he had it pulled up in front of him and that it was showing from reviews of people from tripadvisor that had stayed rated it as being good at 71%...being in a hurry I took his word and reserved much to our horror and lesson well learned. When doing any travel'n the 1st concern is the safety of area and cleanliness of hotel being 2nd. When we arrived at this hotel after a 14 hr. drive we noticed it looked like a "run down" area of town, something like you see in crime areas...trashed houses/lots or areas with debris, groups of shady look'n people standing around in different places, some walking streets, parking lots, etc....we arrived much later than planned (after dark) rushed in to get checked in, requested cot as told to do by person making reservations and got keys to room...needing to get take out and milk for a toddler before settling in for the night we drove not even a block to a McDonald's which went fine and then across street to a Sheetz store for milk...McDonald's can be seen from hotel, could even walk there, and the Sheetz is diagonal from hotel across street...after entering Sheetz store noticed a couple (girl and boy) acting like they were following us around store, one was wearing a hoody...something just didn't seem right...we were a party of 3 women and 2 children...2 of us went in while 1 stayed in locked car w/kids...after sense'n something fishy told lady w/me to hurry up so we could get back in car and to hotel...just as we were checking out, the weird couple went out door w/out buy'n anything...thankful we can park in handicap space at front door with lots of light, we got back to car and locked doors again...before any conversation could begin our travel companion told us a couple one wearing a hoody acted like they were following us around in the store...shared how we felt inside as well...the couple was standing at side of building when we exited...before we could reverse a woman knocks on our window and ask if we are busy, to which I reply "yes"...she then proceeds to ask if we can help her "jump her car, the battery is dead"...again I reply "we can't help"...she stands there for a couple of seconds and then walks in front of car...how many people usually ask women to jump a battery??...we then cross road and return to hotel knowing we could have been followed...one stood "guard" while the other 2 got the cart for luggage which didn't push right and the handles pulled out of holes...1st problem...as we are getting things from car into hotel we see woman who asked for "jump" walking w/someone else between cars in parking lot next to hotel parking lot...hotel lobby/check-in is located at back from roadway with small parking spaces surrounding building...after we get settled in I go and talk w/someone at front desk and describe what had occurred and ask if it is a safe area in which I was told "not to help anyone in any situation, since Sheetz store built, we've had lot of trouble with transients bothering people here, we've talked w/Sheetz management to no avail and they don't do anything here"...this isn't something that I usually write in a review but due to safety concerns feel it is well worth sharing for anyone thinking of staying at this hotel...when we get to our floor we begin to question the cleanliness of hotel...we're on 2nd floor and upon getting out of elevator we see a used cleaning glove on floor beside of wall almost at our doorway...upon entering our room we see a large stain on floor near door and then in other areas as well as other "tell tell signs" that this was/is a pet friendly room...room was extremely small and then with cot no room to walk...since we had 2 tired children, it was late and had already went through trouble of getting luggage in room we decided to tuff it out, knew we only had 2 nights there and now know to check rooms before moving luggage in...in bathroom when lid raised, hair found on toilet seat, mold around counter/sink/tissue holder areas, window curtains would not stay closed and we could see and hear people walking the streets at all hours during the night, the window had greasy hand prints/smudge's all over it, hadn't been cleaned in some time...upon check in the frig was not plugged in and took awhile to cool for milk...we were a party of 3 adults and 2 children...the room was only supplied with 3 sets of towels/wash clothes, after calling front desk prompt action taken by staff and resolved...cob web in cornor to side of one bed...room just plain dirty in many areas...the breakfast mainly cold items but could make a waffle, could get by with it but not the finest of even "make do" breakfast's...we ate at McDonald's...juice, coffee and cereal ok but bread products seemed stale...the lobby area was small but did appear clean unlike the room...elevator was fast but not a lot of "traffic" either...the room temp worked well, the beds and cot slept ok, water pressure sufficient...the road hotel on was closed off and only one way in and out due to road construction...the staff was friendly and wish I could say more good things about hotel but in good conscience cannot...when returning to destination again will definiately bypass this hotel...have taken pictures to show details the best I could get them. Stay away from this hotel unless you don't mind nasty.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the roadway beside of hotel have somewhat of a view if you like to ck on car every...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Luvsweeniedogs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Hampton Inn Johnstown
#1 of 2 in Ebensburg
Super 8 Johnstown
Super 8 Johnstown
#7 of 7 in Johnstown

Been to Econo Lodge Johnstown? Share your experiences!