“Dirty Room at the Econo Lodge”

Econo Lodge Johnstown
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Johnstown
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The only thing I care about when booking a hotel room is cleanliness. I got into the room late Friday night and the room had crumbs on the floor right beside the bed. It's obvious that the housekeeper makes the bed with the top comforter and then vacuums, because the crumbs were right next to the bed, under the top comforter. There was also a long black hair under the comforter on the blanket (I have red hair, obviously not mine). The hotel was full so I just hoped that housekeeping would clean it up. When I got back to the room Saturday afternoon, the beds were made and the room was vacuumed, but the crumbs were still in the exact same spot. Housekeeping needs to vacuum BEFORE the beds are dressed, the only way to cure this. Even though the beds were made, there was still a hair on my blanket.....very unappealing. We told the manager when we left for the night and when we came back, the crumbs were gone, but gross.... The manager was accomodating and adjusted the rate, but I would rather pay full price for a clean room than less for a dirty room. I will NOT be returning.

Room Tip: ask them to vacuum under the bed before checking in
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed April 25, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel before. That is, before it was owned by foreigners. As I walked in, the family was sitting on the counters of the breakfast area making food. The owner was on the phone the entire time while he was checking me in. Multiple times he had to excuse himself from the phone in order to ask me questions. He did not specify the rate to stay for the night. Aside from the customer service, I was pleased with everything else. The room and hallways smelled very nice. Not smoky at all. The room was well lit and furnished. The bathroom was very nice. Even though those things impressed me, the customer service was terrible therefore I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This is a great place to stay for an Econo Lodge in Downtown Johnstown. The staff is FRIENDLY. The continental breakfast includes waffles you can make yourself as well as bagels, cereal, etc. There are at least three restaurants near by to include McDonalds and there is a Sheetz right across the street for food and $1 Blockbuster DVD rentals. One thing to note: if you do not smoke make sure you book a non smoking room. Parking is free and it is within easy walking distance to the Johnstwon War Memorial, Flood museum, and incline. Some may consider the rooms on the small side but we use it for a place to sleep while working or attending events in the area. It is perfect for that and within walking distance of the war memorial and stadium too!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is your average older hotel that was renovated sometime in the last ten years. It's clean, but older. The bathroom is simple, but roomy. The bed was above average, the bedding clean, but showing some wear and tear. The TV was an older model with basic cable channels. There's parking on site, but there are no restaurants within the area.

This hotel is located in the downtown area and there are no guide signs on Route 56 to show you the way. We found it after getting directions at a fire house.

We normally stay in the Altoona area, but due to the Penn State homecoming, almost every hotel in about a 50 mile area was booked. While it was an okay average older hotel good for a one night stay, we would not have stayed here for an extended period of time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed here because it was so much less expensive than other area hotels. Not worth the savings! The location was handy to the Johnstown Flood Museum and other sites, but the section of town seemed a bit sketchy. The room was clean, but it was tiny and the "Queen" bed we were promised was definitely a double instead. (We were too tired to complain.) The noise from the street and the hallway added to our difficulty in sleeping. My husband described the breakfast as "abysmal" -- the coffee was instant, the orange juice was watery, and the muffins and bagels came out of cellophane. Can't recommend this one.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I travelled to Johnstown, Pa for a running race in June, 2010. This place was the least expensive of all I checked. The room was small, but it was just me and all I wanted was a place to sleep. Most importantly, everything was clean. I did not take advantage of coffee or breakfast. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This motel is a great value at a perfect location for sightseeing in Johnstown. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly & continental breakfast is a plus. I would definately stay here again if I go to Johnstown. I highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family