“Not much opened after 7PM in Johnstown except Scott's by Dam”
Review of Scott's by Dam

Scott's by Dam
Ranked #14 of 176 Restaurants in Johnstown
Cuisines: American
Description: A tiny little place-really a small bar-recommended to us by a local who we stopped on the street. Best tacos, ice cold draft beer, an way low prices.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was a nice neighborhood bar, clean and friendly, in a sleepy downtown. Everything else closed around 7PM. The Holiday Inn suggested Scott's by Dam. The Pirates game was on the big screen and we had a few beers and a taco, a large taco, which they are known for.

The large taco was large!!! and good.

1  Thank JMMcD

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Cozy little sports bar on the edge of downtown Johnstown, near the War Memorial Coliseum. Cold beer. Friendly service. Have ONLY ordered the tacos here - but it's a family tradition now, when we're visiting from FL.

We keep going back because the food is excellent and the prices are LOW. Excellent value here!!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

While Johnstown's Thunder in the Valley weekend motorcycle festival was going on, my friends and I decided to stop in this place on a Saturday evening to have a few beers and kill some time before we walked down to the outdoor concert a few blocks away. We had drank at this bar many times before and had always had a fun time there. As a matter of fact, before this experience, I couldn't say enough good things about the place!

We parked our car nearby and walked over to the outdoor, roped-off tent that was set up behind the building. (The tent was set up just for the festival, it's not there all of the time.) Inside the tent, they were serving beer and had picnic tables for patrons to sit at.

We went up to the entrance of the tent and said hello to the woman who was checking IDs. We recognized her as one of the owners because we had been there many times before. She did not look happy to see us and acknowledged us by saying, "You guys got a card?" (Meaning did we have identification.) We seriously thought she was joking since everyone in our group was aged 45 and over, and we had patronized the bar many times before. We just laughed because we really thought she was just messing around with us. She got red-faced and yelled, "DO YOU GUYS HAVE A CARD!?" We just froze and stared at her. In an annoyed manner, she told us that in order to drink alcohol during the festival, the city required anyone aged 21 and over to show ID which got you a wrist bracelet to show that you are of legal age.

At that point, my friends and I realized that she was definitely not kidding around with us about showing ID. We replied, "You know us, you know we're at least twice the legal age, and we were just here drinking with you a week or so ago. Why are you being like this toward us?" She would not make eye contact with us and repeated her "You got a card?" again. We were confused and shocked, but we pulled out our drivers licenses anyway and handed them to her. She still looked and acted annoyed and then proceded to go over them and eye us as if they were fake or something! It was a really awkward and strange experience! Finally, she let us in the tent. We got one beer each and decided to go inside the bar because we really didn't feel welcome in the tent -- obviously!

We walked through the back door into the building and sat at the bar. The bar was busy, but we got a seat. We ordered our beers, and the young man bartending started to get our drinks and then stopped. (He had opened up our beer bottles and was about to hand them to us but didn't.)
We looked up and saw the woman who gave us a hard time outside telling him not to serve us! He came over to us and said, "I'm not allowed to serve you guys." We were speechless! I think I replied, "Huh?" "Why?" He said we had had too much to drink! We had one beer there outside already, and now suddenly we were too drunk!?! I was boiling, but remained calm. I said to the young man, "You can obviously see that we're not intoxicated. What is going on here? Why are we being treated this way?" He just shrugged his shoulders and had an embarrassed look on his face. He knew that we weren't intoxicated and that we being unjustly targeted by that woman simply because she was annoyed with us for no valid reason!

Needless to say, we left the bar fuming mad, hurt, shocked, and embarrassed! I have NEVER been treated so rudely in any bar anywhere like this before in my life!

Travelers beware of this place! These people are Jekylls and Hydes!

Obviously, we will never return to place. Shame on you, Scotty's, for being so rude to us!

6  Thank Caninemafia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The tacos aren't tacos in the traditional sense, but still quite good--and huge! Cheeseburger was a bit overcooked but still pretty good for bar food.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Scott is seriously such a nice person and welcomes you heartily when you walk in the door! I would love to support his business more.

I will not go back due to the quality of their bathroom and the glimpse of the dirty kitchen I caught while going into the bathroom. The bathroom is disgusting and out dated. The toilet barely flushes and everything in there is all rusty. They have an old (or still in use? Who knows!) machine that sells sex lubricant and the like. Very inappropriate and disgusting. The kitchen had food on the floor when I walked by and didn't seem clean.

The food is about average…I'd give it a barely passable "C" grade. The tacos are funny….I'm from southern CA and that's not really a Taco people! Come on Johnstown! They are not my taste, but most reviewers seem to like them, so if you have no idea what Mexican food is and are a local, then you'll like it I'm sure! Most locals do seem to like this place!

1  Thank zemgirl