“Great first B&B experience!”

Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Johnstown B&B and Inns
ohio
“Great first B&B experience!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Staying at the Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast was an absolutely wonderful experience.
I contacted the owner, Ginny Fitzpatrick, with several questions via email. I had a response in no time.

Upon our late arrival, we were greeted by Mary Ann, who was holding down the fort while Ginny had things to tend to out of town. She showed us our room, told us about breakfast, and let us to get settled in. The pullout bed was all set up for our son, so it was no problem getting him to bed. The Iron Horse Room was very nice and clean. The bathroom was also very clean and basic toiletries were provided if needed.

One of the nice things about the house (an old rectory) is how it feels “homey” without feeling like you are an overnight guest in a stranger’s home. You have your own bathroom and the rooms are divided up so it feels a little bit like a hotel. Downstairs there is a living room and a game room for kids/adults to go so as not to have the “cooped up in a room” feeling. There is a big screen TV, couches, a card table, and several games in the game room; the sitting room is quiet and nicely furnished. (A nice place for an adult or avid reader to escape to.)

The gourmet breakfast was delicious! Mary Ann noticed that my son enjoyed the fresh fruit on Friday morning, and made sure there was plenty available on Saturday morning. (Also, they keep delicious cookies out all day long for guests.)

As far as the location, the Heritage House Inn is a PERFECT jump-off spot for getting around Johnstown. It’s close to the Heritage Museum and the children’s museum that has lots of hands-on things for kids to do. It’s also an easy on/easy off from the highway leading to the South Fork Dam, close to the Johnstown Flood Museum, the Incline, and the various other things to do in Johnstown.

We could not have been happier and will definitely stay here again next time we go to Johnstown. Mary Ann was a wonderful hostess, and Ginny was extraordinarily accommodating. We were sorry we didn’t get to meet Ginny, but were very happy to meet Mary Ann. She’s a nice, friendly, funny lady who is very helpful and a Johnstown native.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank christianmp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hughesville, Maryland
Reviewed February 27, 2012

So i stayed for my first time in Jan. of this year and was so impressed i returned this previous weekend. Im confused on what Joseph is refering too in his review. i stayed this previous time in the Lodge room which faces the back street. i abosolutly loved it. think they were looking for more of a holiday inn. this place gives you more of the being at home feeling rather than a hotel.

anyways, room was very clean, bathroom was clean. and breakfast was beyond excellent. i had another excellent stay here.

Great that there is a Sheetz station next block down and is blocked by another building. so you cant even see it from here but is easily within walking distance if you need a snack in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: so far i have stayed in the Mill room i believe it was called and the Lodge room. recommend both of...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank GingerVR6
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn. We really enjoyed having your group again. I know you have been enjoying the ski season here, and we hope to see you back throughout the year.
Dennis, Ginny and David Fitzpatrick, Innkeepers
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed at the Heritage House over the Christmas holidays. Traveling at that time of year is dodgy at best, but this stay was by far the best I've experienced. The Inn was busy and mostly full of families traveling together, but the spacious rooms and public areas kept it from ever feeling cramped.

The rooms are done in a variety of styles, and arriving before most other guests, I was given a personal tour by the innkeepers. I stayed in the Chesapeake Suite, a large, clean and airy accommodation which is done in nautical flavor. After seeing the other rooms, however, I was sorry that I could not stay in a different one each night. The Irish Room features a full wall mural of the Irish country-side and is probably the most private of their rooms. Tucked down it's own hallway, I can easily see that being my next choice when I stay there. Other rooms have themes that reflect the culture and history of the area including one which is themed in tasteful appointments and historical photographs that depict Johnstown's once booming steel mills and coal mines, while another calls to life the trains that shaped the towns and people of the area.

Downstairs, the owners have created a comfortable parlor area in which to meet other guests, and simply enjoy some down time.

Probably the highlight however, was the breakfasts and snacks that the innkeepers prepare on site. I have traveled extensively, and while most bed and breakfast proprietors understand that the breakfast is an important part of the stay, this location outshines them. I stayed for 4 days, visiting family, and I never saw the same thing on the menu twice. From quiches to stuffed pancakes, to caramelized french toast, this inn had it all. The innkeepers were quite accommodating as well, I noticed that Ginny, the innkeeper, tailored some of the breakfast choices directly to one of the young children who was also staying there at the time, without complaint or neglecting others.

The building itself, is a former rectory, that the owners have transformed. I like history, and I found it charming and delightful that the innkeepers had only changed things in the building that would make their guests' stays more comfortable (new ac/refinished tile floors/fresh curtains/high thread count sheets) without damaging the historical integrity of one of Johnstown's archetectural highlights.

The location of the inn is excellent, I quite enjoyed walking along the river during my stay, and it is directly down the street from Cambria City's new arts district, which was open during my time there for gallery walks, jazz shows, and a variety of shopping opportunities.

I would definitely stay again, being that I stayed during the winter, I did not get to take advantage of the outdoor offerings that Johnstown has, such as hiking trails and their white-water park. I would definitely like to come back this summer and do so.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank someday42
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn. We very much enjoyed your stay!
Decorating the Inn and planning unique menus has been a lot of fun and knowing that our guests appreciate it adds to the enjoyment. We look forward to having you back often in the future!
Ginny, Dennis and David Fitzpatrick, Inkeepers
Dubois, Pa
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We were not impressed at all. They had recently opened but...... We checked in and were shown our room. Not nice at all.. Old curtains with old A/C unit in window that overlooked back alley. Bathroom was old and dark. Location was next to an old boarded up church. Carpeting in room was old. We went to get something for dinner and did not return. Found somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank joseph320
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
From the very first day we opened, our primary focus has always been guest satisfaction and comfort. If any guest ever comes to us with a problem or complaint, we would address it and try to resolve it immediately. It is distressing that you would post a review that is completely contrary to fact, particularly since you never actually spent the night at our inn and by your own admission, were actually only on the premises for about15 minutes. I would like to respond to the best of my ability.

You booked your room in June, not July of 2011, during Johnstown's annual Thunder in the Valley motorcycle event. You were unhappy that I would not book a one night stay, but, as I explained in advance, our published policy of 2 night minimum applies during special events.
When you arrived, your wife expressed great distress that there would be "motorcycle people" around. She asked me "How bad will it get when the motorcycle people arrive?" I explained that they were already there and that we had a wonderful group of guests for this once a year family friendly event and that there was nothing to be alarmed about. I showed you the room and you both said that it was very pretty and completely satisfactory. You asked for dining recommendations, which I gave to you. We did not see you return from dinner, but that is not unusual as our guests come and go on their own time schedule. You did not come down for breakfast, and we held hot items for you about half an hour past the normal breakfast time, in case you were sleeping in. Around noon,we received a message on our phone recorder from your wife stating that she just did not feel comfortable staying in the town with all the motorcycles and that you had gone home. She said that the Inn was very nice, but that you and she were just not Bed and Breakfast people and did not feel comfortable sitting down to breakfast, etc. with the "motorcycle people". She said she did not expect a refund as the room had been prepared and held for you and that you would mail us back the keys, which you did about a week later.

I am confused about your description of the room. You were booked into our Irish Room which is in fact at the rear of the Inn. The curtains and air conditioning unit were brand new at the time that you checked in. The bathroom is certainly not new, but then the entire building is 122 years old, and we take great care to make sure that everything is spotlessly clean and attractive to our guests. The Inn is in a city location, so the views are not countryside, but the actual view from the Irish Room, overlooks our garden area, with a beautiful tree and a guest area with tables, grill and other amenities, enclosed by fencing and a historic old stone wall.
The "alley" you refer to is Brailllier Place, a named side street which does run behind the Inn. Behind that is a large grassy area, with a view of the mountain behind, which is quite refreshing in a city atmosphere.

Part of the historical charm of our 1890 building, comes from it's former identity as the rectory to the original Irish St. Columba Church, one of the famous ethnic Churches of Cambria City in Johnstown. The church still stands next to the Bed and Breakfast. It is no longer functioning as a church, but is soon to be repurposed as a historical Theater. At no time has it ever been abandoned or boarded up. Our guests have often remarked on the beauty of the stained glass windows next door to us.

Pictures of our rooms, including the Irish Room, where you stayed are available on our website.
Bowie Maryland
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We checked into the Heritage House Bed & Breakfast on Thursday night January 19th through Sunday the 22nd. We were impressed right away with the rooms. The rooms were large spacious and comfortable with a lot of attention to the decorating (each room has it's own theme.) We had a large group and took all but two rooms. There were eight kids in our party and the Inn was very accomading to our needs. There are plenty of bathrooms adjacent to the rooms. The best thing about our stay had to be the breakfasts. Every morning was a new culinary treat. We had Southwestern quiche, Baked egg Fritatta, German Apple Baked Pancakes but my favorite of the weekend was Ginny's Creme Brulee French Toast. The Inn was close to many historic amenities including the incline plane, historic flood museums, hiking trails etc... Our destination on this trip was Hidden Valley Ski Resort which was about forty minutes away. We also stopped in at the Heritage Museum directly across the street from the Bed and Breakfast which was a very entertaining stop with the family. We will definitely go back and are already talking about next visit. It's refreshing to see a city like Johnstown still filled with small independent shops and restaurants and unique places to visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mill Room and loved it. Other family members stayed in the Chesapeake Room, Iron Ho...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter M
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your beautiful review. We are happy that you enjoyed some of the many attractions that Johnstown has to offer and that you chose the Heritage House Inn as your
headquarters while here. The children were a delight. We look forward to seeing you back often!
Ginny, Dennis and David Fitzpatrick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown
#1 of 2 in Ebensburg
Econo Lodge Johnstown
Econo Lodge Johnstown
#2 of 7 in Johnstown

Been to Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!