“#1 in Johnstown? No way...la comida es malo (as is my Spanish)”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rey-Azteca

Rey-Azteca
Ranked #3 of 172 Restaurants in Johnstown
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Rey Azteca 736 Scalp Ave Johnstown, PA 15904 (814) 266-2294 Open M-F 11:00 Am to 10:00 PM GREAT AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD!!!
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“#1 in Johnstown? No way...la comida es malo (as is my Spanish)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

TripAdvisors....really? Do you really think this is the BEST place to eat in Johnstown? Holy cow; I am utterly shocked!

I took my family to eat here and was expecting GOOD Mexican food. We could care less about the decor, location, proximity of tables, etc. because we were expecting good food. What we received was anything but....GOOD.. Yes it was Saturday night, but the place is an organizational disaster. You wait in line for a table with the carry out people and no one takes your name, number of people, etc. you just wait until the line ends. Again, no problem, I will wait for GOOD Mexican.

The problem was the food. The best were my kids chicken nuggets and fries. They were quite tasty....it was all down hill after that. My waitress was also the hostess who was not particularly friendly. All of the wait staff were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. No order; roughly 8 of them and we weren't sure who was our server.

The chips were ok but the salsa lacked spice/flavor (which is very un-Mexican). I ordered the Guadalajara special and it was a jumbled mess on a plate. The chicken tostado was ok but the beef one (along with tamale) was not appetizing. The guacamole lacked flavor and everything tasted the same. My wife's Rey Azteca special also was one giant taste of Play-dough mix. No discernible flavor or taste.

The people have spoken and this place is loved. I do not know if the folks lived in Mexico, Texas, California, or even Atlanta or DC (which the latter two I have) but this place is a step near Taco Bell. Blah. My taste buds, along with my stomach, were offended by this choice. When the best part of your menu is kids Menu, run....rapido!

Ps- the area gets quite cold. When you are having dinner and the door keeps opening/closing with 20 degrees + strong wind, your meal definitely is affected. You guys might want to invest in a better entrance. It is tough to enjoy your meal with the mountain air beating down your face.

1 Thank Anthony G

Johnstown, PA
“Great food and a good price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Some of the better Mexican food I have eaten (and I formerly lived in the South-West). Lunch prices are very nice. Portions are very good! Atmosphere gets a slight ding because some table are too close together (formerly was a 1980s Pizza Hut).

Davidsville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Awesome Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We eat here often. Great food, great prices, friendly staff...and always packed! Excellent chips and salsa - both are home made and fresh. Many times I will pick up chips and salsa after late night showings of homes in the area.

• Visited January 2013
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We love coming here for numerous reasons..... First of all, the food! I highly recommend the fajitas.... Which you know are coming to the table because you can hear the sizzling plate as its being carried to the table! Fresh ingredients, nice portion! (always enough for lunch the next day!) Perfect place to relax after a long day and not have to wait too long for your food! I always enjoy my chips and salsa and a large mango margarita which makes the wait seem even shorter! Only complaint would have to be I wish there were more dessert selections.... The boyfriend has a sweet tooth so we enjoy splitting dessert when we go out. The meadows isn't far away though, so problem solved! Staff also very friendly, sometImes it can be a little hard to communicate with them, but if you want authentic Mexican who better to get it from! Definitely one of our favorite places to go!

“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This food is authentic Mexican and you can order basically anything off the menu and everything will be delicious! I go here any chance I get!

Visited December 2012