“Most relaxing place on earth (and more)”
Review of Uepi Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Uepi
Uepi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uepi
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Been to Uepi lots of times in the past 12 or so years, twice in 2013. We are a small family with two pre-school age children and for us, Uepi is never less than fabulous. The most relaxing and yet engaging holiday we can ever hope to find. The simplicity of the resort is absolutely perfect for the location, with truly wonderful local style gardens, thousands of tropical flowers, and lots of wildlife. The rainforest is a magical place to explore, and the kids love playing in the lagoon under the shady trees, building sand castles, chasing mudskippers, watching baby sharks practice herding up the teeny fish schools, and hand feeding the schools of the 'cheeky fish'. Then there's paddling and kayaking out on the lagoon, spotting big turtles and elegant tawny sharks and always hopeful for the dugong. No toys needed!

Food and service lovely. It's impossible to eat seafood anywhere else now after being spoilt by two-hour-old sashimi, lobster straight from the reefs and mud crabs, fish and tropical fruit with flavour that simply doesn't exist at home. My four year old will eat more coral trout than any adult at the table! And important to mention the most unbelievable creme caramels I have found anywhere in the world (thanks Juki).

Then there's the underwater scene which - by all reports from the seriously serious and travelled divers who frequent Uepi - is among the best in the world. The more we go, the more we see. And you don't need to dive, you'll see plenty on snorkel. It's addictive, and the kids will stay in the water for hours watching - lion fish, pipefish, nemos, sharks, even darting trevally, octopus, and sea horses (and that's just at the dive jetty!). Kudos to Jill, Grant, and the Uepi team who actively protect what is effectively a private marine reserve around the island. They work hard to ensure that the reefs are healthy and pristine and the size, volume and variety of the fish life is testament to this. We even heard of Jill once leading a very successful rescue mission during a coral bleaching event years ago, and saving (by hand) thousands of corals!

Highly recommended, so wonderful on so many levels. We'll keep on heading back so long as Team Uepi will have us!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank Dingbat15

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Having stayed at Uepi twice during my year in the Solomon Islands, I can't wait to go back again. Spectaucular diving, a heavenly location, perfect simple accomodation, yummy food and wonderful owners who work strongly with the community.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Emma S
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is the sort of place that makes a one week holiday feel like two which is quite an achievement. We were met by Jill at the welcome wharf and our exquisite adventure began. We were there for the scuba diving which was absolutely world class but the experience on the island was fantastic. The accommodation was lovely and made me feel good because it's eco friendly, the resort itself is kept in immaculate condition, and the food... the food is stunning. Jill and Grant work hard to make sure that all the guests are cared for, and the staff quite frankly have to be some of the friendliest people I've ever met in my life. I must admit I wasn't a fan of the ambient temperature showers to start with (I've always loved a hot shower) but it only took a couple before it became the norm and quite enjoyable. This place feels like a quiet piece of paradise, can't wait to go back. Don't expect to be posting heaps of photos to Facebook while you're there, the internet service is pretty terrible... but it sort of forces you to disconnect for a while and wow does it feel good. If you're looking for amazing diving you're in the right place. Massive fan corals, sharks, large pelagics, schooling fish, coral reefs and fish, wrecks, swim throughs, you name it they've got it. Snorkelling around the island is great and you can easily spend hours hanging out with the local fish and black tip sharks. Is it good enough to go back, absolutely!! This is a top notch place that lets you chill out, enjoy nature, unwind, and look forward to meal time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JoChappy
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Uepi was our third island to visit in the Solomons and by far the best. The snorkelling was absolutely mind blowing with coral gardens and drop offs, swimming with manta rays, sharks and a wide variety of tropical fish. As snorkelers rather than divers we tagged along with dive trips but were always accommodated. We have snorkelled many places and uepi was right up there with the best, if not the best. We were there for 5 days and did two snorkel trips a day and never did the same place twice.

We went to Uepi to experience the underwater environment but found the accommodation to be more than adequate, particularly given its isolated location. We enjoyed the communal dinners and the friendly hosts. Food was great, particularly the dinners and we certainly never went hungry.

The accommodation is simple but clean and comfortable. There isn't hot water but the pipes warm during the day to give some warm water, although in this climate the cooler water is refreshing. You are welcomed to bring your own alcohol to the island and drink it in the bar if you like. There's also a fridge in your room.

We loved our stay and look forward to going back (we were there in March 2011).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Toni W
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I arrived on Friday 20.9.2013 for 7 days as part of a Solomon Islands diving trip and was welcomed by Jason KELLY, son of the Managers and from that moment, Uepi Island Resort was a truly dining and diving experience. I have dived around the Pacific and Micronesia and this is a stand out resort. As I arrived early, I enquired about an afternoon dive and Jason said "Just turn up at the Dive Shop at 2 o'clock and the boys will look after you" and he was not wrong. And things just got better and better. I could not fault any part of the Resort from the girls and guys in the kitchen, the friendly grounds staff, the Dive Shop boys and boat drivers, there were no problems and if you had a question or query, it was answered quickly and professionally. And not to forget the reason that I was there, the diving, it was superb, very relaxing and the dive staff and guides made your dive an experience to remember..

Room Tip: The beach bungalows are great with shaded decks with hammocks overlooking the lagoon and the garden...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank JOHNPOTTER1948
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I live in Honiara and travelled to Uepi when my mother visited from Canada. We spent 3 nights but should have stayed much longer!

Jill and Grant were really friendly and we appreciated the introduction and orientation talk when we first arrived. All the food was amazing and they did were lovely about adjusting to our dietary preferences (ie. I don't like fish or seafood. I know. I suck.). Having lunch delivered to the bungalow is such a great idea, and communal dinners such a nice way to spend some time chatting to other travellers.

We stayed in one of the ocean front bungalows with 2 beds. They were single beds and it would have been nice to have had two double beds, but that's basically the only thing that I might have changed about the whole experience.

Swimming with the sharks off the jetty is the clear highlight of the trip for me. I haven't learned how to dive (yet) so as a snorkeller it's such a treat to have that kind of experience. The guys at the dive shop were really funny and friendly, and we also did a day trip by boat to another area for snorkelling.

I need to convince someone else to come visit me so I can go back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Heather Q
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This review should have gone onto TripAdvisor a lot sooner!

Thinking back to our stay there, it was just wonderful. The photo's we took there just bought back a flood of great memories! Its very remote, its pristine and its paradise for divers and for snorkelers as well!

What makes it all so wonderful is the remoteness + the management + staff + friendly atmosphere...please do go. Its a holiday always remembered!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SharonJB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uepi
Agnes Lodge
#1 of 1 in Gatokae Island
Rekona Lodge
Rekona Lodge
#1 of 6 in Gizo

Been to Uepi Island Resort? Share your experiences!