“Great, great service, comfy room.”
Review of Swaggers Motor Inn

Swaggers Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Yass
Maryborough, Australia
“Great, great service, comfy room.”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We were driving from Sydney to Temora and is it was late the family were freaking out about us doing the last leg across (Kangaroos).

We called in here looking for a disabled unit, which they didn't really have, the lady rang every motel in town to see if anybody had a unit available, nothing, so she popped us in the biggest room she had, gave us a non-skid mat and plastic chair for mum for the shower, moved things around to cope with walker, she was a doll! Chef even coped with making egg white omelette for breakfast!

They were friendly and accommodating, room was dated but comfy. Bed's could do with replacement.

Mother left her insulin in the room (which we didn't even realise), they rang us to let us know and held it until we were coming back through.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Melbourne
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just one night passing by.
Not much to say, a nice motel with large rooms and all the facilities you will expect.
Parking was good with plenty or room outside the door.
The bed was OK but could be updated in my opinion.

Overall not bad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank vicnzsa
Dover, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

1. I booked online a week in advance, not through any booking agency but the hotels actual website. I booked a queen deluxe for 2 adults.
- We arrived and received not only a half hearted welcome (did not expect fanfare but a smile would have been nice) and the lady said that I had only made the booking for 1 person and it was the basic room. I showed our confirmation that I had printed off and she agreed that I had, gave us a room key, hubby signed and off we went.

2. As per the website AND our confirmation letter, there was free wireless Internet and free fox sport. The rooms were "newly refurbished" and room service.

The negatives: A very outdated basic room. The water tap in the "kitchen" (bathroom vanity bench with bathroom sink and taps) was loud, the air con rattled the walls, it was not quite by any means and there was a very lumpy and creased electric blanket on the bed, fine for colder nights but it is November and it was a very warm day. Free Internet was not provided, we had to purchase a "card" from reception and at $20 for the night, I was happy to forgo that expensive "freebie". The information folder that most motels provided had pages torn, plastic cover sheets ripped from the folder, no real information and had a smell about it that made me wash my hands after handling. Room Service was also no longer part of the hotels service although they did advertise that it was.

The positives: the room actually had a nice feel to it, even with the outdated walls, bathroom, sheets, bedspreads etc.

The "omg" moments: being treated like we were a disruption rather than a welcomed guest. Being advised that the cook won't want to make our asked for cut lunch (provided at a price if $12 per person for sandwiches, cakes and fruit) as we didn't order breakfast (also quite expensive), she didn't know if she should do it and didn't really makes sandwiches and if the cook did it, he may not have cake. And then when asked what time would we need it and was advised 6.30am as we wanted to make an early start, we were told that it would not be possible. No way.

Will we ever stay there again? No, I think I can find a better hotel, motel, or even caravan park that can provide even the basics for less than the $120 this motel charged.

Finally, if we were treated like a guest, was provided all we were promised and paid for, then I think the stay would have been better.

Disappointing!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Natalie A
Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night, rooms were spacious and clean, restaurant was closed due to public holiday , clubs were 5 mins drive or it's a nice little stroll if you want to walk only about about 20 mins. Breakfast was nice.

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney
Reviewed July 21, 2012

After traveling for a number of hours I was in desperate need of sleep. I decided to stay in Yass overnight before driving through to Sydney The Sundowner was the first hotel that I saw coming off the highway. I was given an option to pay a little extra and get a larger room. The room was promoted with free Wi Fi and this suited me as I needed to make contact with my son. There were vouchers provided for the internet but no explanation as to how you connect. The air conditioner was old and very noisy and sleep was almost impossible. At one point I had to turn it off because the noise was disturbing.

It made for a difficult sleep as it was mid winter and the heat would of been much appreciated. The room lacked a simple accessory such as a toilet roll holder and the roll had to placed on the floor or shelf.

The pipes were noisy when the people in the rooms either side were having a shower or using the bathroom. This noise woke me in the morning and I was unable to get back to sleep.

The room was spacious and the bed comfortable.

Consider trying another hotel further into town before you stay at the Sundowner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ecop
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed in Yass after a late departure from Newcastle. Check in was easy and the room was clean although a little dated (typical of many country motels). We had a pleasant nights sleep, although the pillows were a little hard for our liking. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant, with drinks at reasonable prices. The place advertises 'the best steaks in Yass' - so if you make a big call like that expect to be judged. All I can say is the steak was FAQ bistro quality - but not spectacular. Cooked well but had a bit too much sinnew to be classed as a great steak. Otherwise meal was fine.

We would stay again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My husband and I stopped over in Yass on our way home from Adelaide. I rang ahead to book our room. When we arrived we enquired about the dining room as we were tired and didn't feel like going out for a meal. We were told that there were two functions on that night so we needed to be in the dining room by 6pm. We agreed to this, although we didn't have a lot of time to unwind before then.

When we arrived in the dining room one of the functions had already started to arrive, although they weren't booked until 7pm. This meant that it was very noisy and the waitstaff were trying to serve us (and other motel guests) and deal with the function in the bar. There was also some sort of problem with the cheffing staff, so several of the meals were not available. Despite all of this, and our drinks not being delivered until my husband went to the bar to enquire, we enjoyed our meal. We understand that Christmas functions create their own issues!

Our room was lovely. It was roomy, clean and comfortable and breakfast was very good.

Our overall impression of the Motel was good and we'd love to experience the dining room on a quieter night when we could linger over our meal. Would we return? Most certainly!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple