“For golfers, business or a bed for the night”

Mercure Kooindah Waters Central Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wyong
Reviewed September 11, 2010

This resort is set among a housing development and a golf course. The closest town is the not very salubrious Wyong. We stayed overnight - just passing through. The room was okay - king bed, smallish television, tiny balcony (but overlooking bush, the golf course and a lovely lake with water birds). Restaurant was booked out, although not by people staying at the resort which was almost empty, so we ordered food to room (no where else to eat for miles). Menu options were very limited and how to say this - suburban? The results were ordinary to bland.

Had a massage at the Endota spa on site. They try hard but again, suburban and pretty ordinary.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Spacious rooms nice atmosphere even for non golfers. Pleasant surroundings and views across the golf course plus the secluded location allowed the resort to be very quiet. The only noise was the birds and at the time of our stay the 100km/hr winds that rattled the roof during the night my partner found if near impossible to sleep. Of course not all apartments would be like this but some maintenance is needed around room 220 roof.

The restaurant food buffet and menu was delightful with plenty of options for vegetarians.

To me it seems that the regular power outages in the area are a bit off-putting especially when there is no power to have toast/tea or use the facilities, ie 2nd visit 2nd power loss.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Husband and I booked through wotif.com.au and got a great deal! So for the price we paid, the room was great, bathroom great, kitchenette with everything you need. View into carpark, but didn't bother us. Breakfast was included and was good. Not a huge range but more than enough to choose from including eggs cooked to order. Grounds and facilities are typical of a Mantra resort. A bit out of the way, but we would bring kids back if we were exploring Central Coast or even Hunter Valley. Indoor and outdoor pools looked great, as did Day Spa, but didn't try them out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Staff provided excellent service, the full sized apartment was a real treat and would comfortably sleep 4+
The cleanliness of one of the bathrooms was a bit of a let down.
Excellent facilities

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is my first review for Trip Advisor. You might say that my experience with this hotel prompted me to sign up and write this review.

A brief background before I start: I have seen all kinds of accomodation over the years, and have stayed in some of Australia's best hotels (thanks to my line of work), so I speak with a lot of experience behind me.

The Good:
The location is beautiful, Mantra Kooindah is the perfect place for a weekend getaway. There's plenty to do - golf, tennis, running, gym, spa, etc. So there's a lot to keep you busy.
The rooms were generally OK, but I will get to that later. The service was fairly good, although I have seen much better.

The Bad:
Stinky bathroom: My partner and I moved into a room, facing the car park - not the best view. We walked in and found that the room was very well maintained, comfy beds and sofas. All this was until we opened the bathroom door. It was the most disgusting smell we had experienced in a very long time - felt like we had opened the door to a sewer. We called housekeeping who acknowledged there was a problem and sprayed some bleach. A few hours later, once the overwhelming smell of bleach had subsided, the stench returned. It was so bad that we asked them to move us to another room - this was close to midnight! Fortunately, this room was within the main building but although they told us it was the same room (Studio Suite), it was missing the facilities of our previous (Stinky) room - i.e. no DVD player, microwave.

Pathetic room service: I have to admit this is a very busy time of the year (Easter weekend) but my partner was not well and we had to order room service - so we ordered dinner at 7.30, and were told that it would be delivered to us in 45-60 minutes. The meal eventually turned up at 9.15 pm and this was after repeated reminder calls to the restaurant. This is not what I expect from a 4-star hotel. The restaurant told us that they had to first attend to the guests there, and that room service has been delayed. I would expect that orders are handled on a first-come-first served basis.

Case of the missing toothbrush: We had forgotten to pack our toothbrushes, so we called housekeeping and asked for one of those toothbrush kits. What we were expecting was a standard toothbrush kit that most star hotels stock. Instead, we got brand new Colgate toothbrushes, which is better than what we expected. Of course, no one told us then that we would be charged 5 dollars for each brush. We only discovered this when we were settling the bill. I don't have a problem shelling 10 dollars on toothbrushes, but I would expect housekeeping to have let us know in advance. I thought that was very unprofessional.

Overall, I think this place does not offer value for money and I hope they do their best to fix their sanitary problems.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday weekend. I'd read previous reviews and so we made sure to book a golf course view studio room. The view was lovely and it was so nice to sit out on the verandah and eat breakfast in the morning. The room was nicely decorated and was very clean. The king bed was two singles joined together, which usually is pretty uncomfortable but in this bed it was almost unoticeable. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The only downside was, as mentioned before, the ridiculous waiting time in the restaraunt. We waited over 30 mins for our bread to arrive, let alone our meal! We'd definitely visit again but will avoid eating at the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2010

A quick drive from Sydney and a good range of 4 star resort facilities. Golf club was well run and pool areas flow very well - great kids pool. Food very average but in room kitchens well equiped. Couch bed was a disaster......more like a boat shape. Very large ensuite and master bedroom.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyong
Crowne Plaza Terrigal Pacific
Mantra Ettalong Beach
#1 of 2 in Ettalong Beach
5 mi away
Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance

Been to Mercure Kooindah Waters Central Coast? Share your experiences!