“Can't say enough good things...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at Jim Thorpe

Inn at Jim Thorpe
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jim Thorpe
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Can't say enough good things...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

I had a lengthier review written up for this place, but my session expired before I could submit it.
Let's just say, my wife loved the Inn and the town of Jim Thorpe.
Our room was perfect.(109). It was at the end of the hall, and had 3 outside walls so it was quiet and private.
Didn't eat at the on-site restaurant for lunch or dinner, but had the included buffet breakfast during our three night stay. It was better than expected.(fried eggs, scrambled eggs, sausages, ham, pancakes, waffles, french toast, as well as the usual continental fare).
Check-in and out was friendly and quick. Maid service was excellent.
We will definately return.
The town of Jim Thorpe is worthy of its own review.
Highly recommend.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank Daniel M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Central Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at The Inn. From the time we arrived until we departed, everything was lovely. When checking in, I was met with warm smile and friendly hello. After getting our room key card, we took got our bags and took the elevator to the second floor. Upon opening the door to our room, we both exclaimed, "Wow...It's beautiful"! It was so cozy & welcoming and spotlessly clean.

After unloading our luggage and freshening up, we decided to go down to the Molly McGuire Pub for a drink. We were both looking forward to going to this place and sadly, we were both very disappointed. The bar itself was filthy. There was a puddle of stale beer in the center of the bar and as I put my hands down on top of the bar, I felt the grit of salt; at least I hope that was what it was. As I looked closer, it appeared as though the bar hadn't been given a good cleaning in a very long time. There was so much crud in the dip at the apron of the bar you could scoop it out with a knife. I also thought the price for a draft of Guinness was outrageous. I'm not one to quibble about price when I'm on a trip but I've been to more elite taverns that didn't charge anywhere close to this much. Two TV's were on and the sound on the one was so loud that I couldn't carry on a conversation with my friend because I could hear what she was saying. The bartender was nice enough, I suppose, but if the topic to discuss wasn't about sports, there was no communication with the bartender. We did comment at the Inn about all of this and found out that within a few months, the pub will no longer be there.

We were going to dine at the Empress Restaurant but after the experience we had at the pub decided to go elsewhere. Just a short walk down the street was a Steak & Ale establishment so we went there. It was perfect. The service was excellent and the food was great.

The next morning I got our breakfast from the buffet and took it up to our room. I did see on another review that they served scrambled eggs and other things but they weren't available at this time. Maybe that is only something that is served when the hotel is more busy. What they had was fine though. Coffee, tea, pastries, bagels, cereal & fruit.

We did some shopping around town and here again, everyone was very friendly. My friend had wanted to go to Jim Thorpe to see the Christmas lights that she'd seen there years ago. It was lovely and the weather could not have been better.

We plan on going back when the weather turns warm so we can again stay at the Inn and enjoy the comfort of sitting on the balcony. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

My compliments to everyone associated with The Inn. Their service and friendliness were above reproach. I don't understand how anyone could give them a bad review.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable & relaxing.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

I would totally recommend this place to anyone. We stayed in room 319. It was so clean and nice. I had never heard or been to this place before but what a gem! Please if you ever want to find a great place, this is it. We had wine on the balcony. Our room had a whirlpool that fits two! The fireplace was really nice.

Stayed October 2008
Elmira, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

My partner and I stayed for the second time at the Inn at Jim Thorpe this past weekend for the Fall Festival. After a very nice experience the first time, we were excited to come back and stay again. This time did not disappoint us either. Deciding on a change, we booked a room at the Inn's "Broadway House" location about 1/3 of a mile up the road. The room at the Broadway House was a nice size, with a king bed, electric fireplace, and jacuzzi. Let me tell you, after a long day of walking around town and checking out all the shops, to slip into the jacuzzi at night with the lights down low and the electic fireplace going was both romantic and relaxing. We look forward to coming back in the future. Our only dilemma will be whether to stay right in downtown at the Inn, or in the quieter Broadway House, a short walk up the street.

1 Thank NorthernLad75
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

When we arrived, the people at the desk were not very welcoming. The room was very small and the bed (they called it QUEEN sized) was small, too. I asked at the desk to make sure it was queen sized, and after an eye roll from the woman, she assured me it was.
The bathroom was dirty. When we arrived, there were two dead bugs in the sink and long black hairs (not our hair) all over the toilet. We decided to wait until the next day to see if the cleaning people would clean it up, but it was still there, so I cleaned it up myself.
The Emerald Restaurant in the hotel is AWFUL. The breakfast buffet was cold, soggy, watery, tasteless, etc. The dinner there was mediocre at best.
NOT worth the money. Stay elsewhere in Jim Thorpe. It's a gorgeous town, but the Inn is terrible.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wineloverPA
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

We were invited by friends to join them for dinner in Jim Thorpe last Saturday night. Since we had never been there, we decided to see the town, have dinner, then spend the night. I called the Inn at Jim Thorpe and got what may have been the last room.

We arrived early and were allowed to check in. That was nice. The room was clean but decorated in a 1980s style, with plenty of wallpaper borders. There were lace curtains, but behind them vinyl blackout curtains, which were much appreciated for light control. They also controlled the view, which was the brick wall across the alley. Still, I think getting a room in the back of the hotel is probably preferable to being in the front. Broadway, the main street of town, is very busy and noisy.

I was pleased to see a DVD player and television, although I did not use either. There was the usual coffee maker and a choice of coffees and teas. I would have appreciated a plastic liner for the ice bucket. I had to carry the whole unlined bucket down to the basement on the other side of the hotel to get ice.

In the closet we found extra pillows and blankets, an iron, and an ironing board. The bedside stand offered a notepad but no pen.

The bathroom was a little out of date, style-wise, with some old pink sponge painting on the walls. They did have some neat "green" soap with a hole where the leftover sliver of soap usually is. The shower was adequate in size, yet both my wife and I experienced alternating hot and cold spots in the water flow during our showers. It is hard to enjoy a shower when you wonder if the water will burn you. The towel supply was more than ample. I appreciated the little glass shelf over the sink.

My favorite feature, mentioned by another reviewer, was the second floor balcony, which stretches across the whole front of the hotel. It is covered and lined with wicker chairs, and right outside the door is a sort of bump-out over the front steps that has a ceiling fan, a table, and chairs. I sat for about an hour there watching the town go by. People-watching is great fun. I have to say, at one point, I could not believe the noise! The court house tower bells were playing Broadway tunes, the excursion train was sounding its incredible whistle, and about six mountain men on Harleys were varooming at the traffic light. It was amazing!

After we checked in, we walked the hill (everything is on a hill) on Broadway and checked out some of the shops. I was more interested in the historic buildings and took a lot of pictures. The quality of the shops was uneven. We had lunch at "Through the Looking Glass" on Broadway. It was not a great experience. The food was adequate, but the service was very poor, with the staff running around looking very confused.

We walked down Race Street, past more shops and restaurants and a wonderful "Stone Row" of houses, built in the mid-19th century. These reminded me of Scotland or Quebec City, quite sturdy, grey stone with colorfully painted woodwork. Toward the end of the street were brick buildings housing a restaurant and a folk art shop, which is very nice if you like Americana. We did not have time for a tour of the church opposite, but you could tell it would be impressive.

Our dinner at FLOW, even further up the hill, was excellent. We enjoyed our meals and shared desserts with our friends. The cost was less than you'd expect for a classy joint. Be sure to see the stream FLOWing under the floor of the dining room.

We slept soundly enough and awoke in time to have the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Like the room, the breakfast was adequate, but not special. There were large servers with watery scrambled eggs and fried eggs with solid yolks, bacon, sausage, dry French toast, potatoes, etc. All edible, but not something you do not find in every hotel chain. It was included in the price of the room, however, which, by the way, I thought was pretty high for the experience the Inn offered.

Before leaving, I had time to go see St. Mark's and St. John's Episcopal Church on Race Street. It is a beautiful church with some Tiffany stained glass windows. The folks were so friendly, I stayed for the service.

So, the Inn at Jim Thorpe is okay, but just ordinary. The town is worthy of at least one visit due to its unique geographical setting and its amazing state of preservation.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Just ordinary for the price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scion
Milford, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were attending a concert at Penn's Peak about five miles away and needed a clean place for two nights. Our room was really nice. The bed was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was nice. However, one morning, I found fresh lipstick on one of my washcloths (not stained). The second morning, I walked down the hall to find the maids' linen closet open with at least 30 dirty, wet towels piled in the hall. By the time dinner rolled around at about 6 PM and the towels were still there with the closet still open, I told the front desk who took care of it, but I shouldn't have had to. Didn't any other staff notice this?

We would have slept well had it not been for the obnoxious wedding party staying there also, who arrived home at 3:30 AM and let their animal of a child run the halls screaming. All the adults were hanging in the halls, yelling to each other and laughing for about two hours. Apparently none of the staff noticed this either. And the walls are all paper-thin.

However, we loved the Irish pub downstairs and met some nice people. Breakfast was great, really filling. Overall, we really liked the place and would go back.

• Liked — Friendly staff, nice bar downstairs
  • Disliked — Dirty linens left in the hall for 8 hours+
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
#3 of 3 in Lehighton
Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White Haven - Lake Harmony
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
#3 of 19 in Jim Thorpe

Been to Inn at Jim Thorpe? Share your experiences!