“Quaint and Comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jim Thorpe
Elmira, NY
“Quaint and Comfortable”
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My partner and I stayed for the second time at the Inn at Jim Thorpe this past weekend for the Fall Festival. After a very nice experience the first time, we were excited to come back and stay again. This time did not disappoint us either. Deciding on a change, we booked a room at the Inn's "Broadway House" location about 1/3 of a mile up the road. The room at the Broadway House was a nice size, with a king bed, electric fireplace, and jacuzzi. Let me tell you, after a long day of walking around town and checking out all the shops, to slip into the jacuzzi at night with the lights down low and the electic fireplace going was both romantic and relaxing. We look forward to coming back in the future. Our only dilemma will be whether to stay right in downtown at the Inn, or in the quieter Broadway House, a short walk up the street.

1 Thank NorthernLad75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
PA
Reviewed September 29, 2008

When we arrived, the people at the desk were not very welcoming. The room was very small and the bed (they called it QUEEN sized) was small, too. I asked at the desk to make sure it was queen sized, and after an eye roll from the woman, she assured me it was.
The bathroom was dirty. When we arrived, there were two dead bugs in the sink and long black hairs (not our hair) all over the toilet. We decided to wait until the next day to see if the cleaning people would clean it up, but it was still there, so I cleaned it up myself.
The Emerald Restaurant in the hotel is AWFUL. The breakfast buffet was cold, soggy, watery, tasteless, etc. The dinner there was mediocre at best.
NOT worth the money. Stay elsewhere in Jim Thorpe. It's a gorgeous town, but the Inn is terrible.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wineloverPA
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We were invited by friends to join them for dinner in Jim Thorpe last Saturday night. Since we had never been there, we decided to see the town, have dinner, then spend the night. I called the Inn at Jim Thorpe and got what may have been the last room.

We arrived early and were allowed to check in. That was nice. The room was clean but decorated in a 1980s style, with plenty of wallpaper borders. There were lace curtains, but behind them vinyl blackout curtains, which were much appreciated for light control. They also controlled the view, which was the brick wall across the alley. Still, I think getting a room in the back of the hotel is probably preferable to being in the front. Broadway, the main street of town, is very busy and noisy.

I was pleased to see a DVD player and television, although I did not use either. There was the usual coffee maker and a choice of coffees and teas. I would have appreciated a plastic liner for the ice bucket. I had to carry the whole unlined bucket down to the basement on the other side of the hotel to get ice.

In the closet we found extra pillows and blankets, an iron, and an ironing board. The bedside stand offered a notepad but no pen.

The bathroom was a little out of date, style-wise, with some old pink sponge painting on the walls. They did have some neat "green" soap with a hole where the leftover sliver of soap usually is. The shower was adequate in size, yet both my wife and I experienced alternating hot and cold spots in the water flow during our showers. It is hard to enjoy a shower when you wonder if the water will burn you. The towel supply was more than ample. I appreciated the little glass shelf over the sink.

My favorite feature, mentioned by another reviewer, was the second floor balcony, which stretches across the whole front of the hotel. It is covered and lined with wicker chairs, and right outside the door is a sort of bump-out over the front steps that has a ceiling fan, a table, and chairs. I sat for about an hour there watching the town go by. People-watching is great fun. I have to say, at one point, I could not believe the noise! The court house tower bells were playing Broadway tunes, the excursion train was sounding its incredible whistle, and about six mountain men on Harleys were varooming at the traffic light. It was amazing!

After we checked in, we walked the hill (everything is on a hill) on Broadway and checked out some of the shops. I was more interested in the historic buildings and took a lot of pictures. The quality of the shops was uneven. We had lunch at "Through the Looking Glass" on Broadway. It was not a great experience. The food was adequate, but the service was very poor, with the staff running around looking very confused.

We walked down Race Street, past more shops and restaurants and a wonderful "Stone Row" of houses, built in the mid-19th century. These reminded me of Scotland or Quebec City, quite sturdy, grey stone with colorfully painted woodwork. Toward the end of the street were brick buildings housing a restaurant and a folk art shop, which is very nice if you like Americana. We did not have time for a tour of the church opposite, but you could tell it would be impressive.

Our dinner at FLOW, even further up the hill, was excellent. We enjoyed our meals and shared desserts with our friends. The cost was less than you'd expect for a classy joint. Be sure to see the stream FLOWing under the floor of the dining room.

We slept soundly enough and awoke in time to have the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Like the room, the breakfast was adequate, but not special. There were large servers with watery scrambled eggs and fried eggs with solid yolks, bacon, sausage, dry French toast, potatoes, etc. All edible, but not something you do not find in every hotel chain. It was included in the price of the room, however, which, by the way, I thought was pretty high for the experience the Inn offered.

Before leaving, I had time to go see St. Mark's and St. John's Episcopal Church on Race Street. It is a beautiful church with some Tiffany stained glass windows. The folks were so friendly, I stayed for the service.

So, the Inn at Jim Thorpe is okay, but just ordinary. The town is worthy of at least one visit due to its unique geographical setting and its amazing state of preservation.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Just ordinary for the price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scion
Milford, CT
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were attending a concert at Penn's Peak about five miles away and needed a clean place for two nights. Our room was really nice. The bed was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was nice. However, one morning, I found fresh lipstick on one of my washcloths (not stained). The second morning, I walked down the hall to find the maids' linen closet open with at least 30 dirty, wet towels piled in the hall. By the time dinner rolled around at about 6 PM and the towels were still there with the closet still open, I told the front desk who took care of it, but I shouldn't have had to. Didn't any other staff notice this?

We would have slept well had it not been for the obnoxious wedding party staying there also, who arrived home at 3:30 AM and let their animal of a child run the halls screaming. All the adults were hanging in the halls, yelling to each other and laughing for about two hours. Apparently none of the staff noticed this either. And the walls are all paper-thin.

However, we loved the Irish pub downstairs and met some nice people. Breakfast was great, really filling. Overall, we really liked the place and would go back.

• Liked — Friendly staff, nice bar downstairs
  • Disliked — Dirty linens left in the hall for 8 hours+
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Northeast USA
Reviewed July 13, 2008

After agonizing over where to spend the weekend, I chose the Inn at Jim Thorpe for a weekend with my girlfriend. She's a bit of a "princess," if you know what I mean, and I didn't want to deal with any stress. It was a tough call: I read the reviews here and was worried about some of the things I read, especially the comments regarding how old and smelly the place is.

I shouldn't have worried. I'm rating the Inn at Jim Thorpe a five on the scale of five. As a business traveler I stay at a lot of nice hotels, but a rare few have the charm and "cool factor" of the Inn. I found 307 reasons to love the place.

When we arrived on Friday we parked in the lot across the street and just down the street - a total of maybe 2 minutes of walking distance. Jim Thorpe is a small town and I was surprised it even had parking lots, quite frankly. Regardless, I parked just fine for the whole weekend. The Inn's lot was full so I used the one across the street.

The ladies at the desk were very nice and welcomed us with genuine smiles. I booked a regular room, but was concerned that it was going to be too small, just as some of the reviews said. The room turned out to be a bit narrow but not small at all. The bathroom was really nice. My only complaints about the room are that the air conditioner didn't seem to regulate too well so it was cold (but I like it that way), and the bed was a bit on the hard side. No big deal.

The rest of the Inn is beautiful inside and out. The decor appears to be meticulously chosen and in-keeping with the 1800's era, yet the hotel is pretty modernized otherwise. The balcony is an EXCELLENT feature. I found I could have sat on that balcony and watched the town go by the entire weekend. The railing really caught my eye and is a great touch, along with the hanging plants and old wood decking. The walls inside the Inn hold numerous photos of the history of the Inn, along with some newspaper clippings of the "haunted" rooms. We were not witnesses to any ghost sightings or sounds and such, and even though I don't believe in that stuff, I found myself secretly wishing I would hear something. One complain about the interior - the Inn uses electronic key cards. They should have stuck with the original door keys they used to use. That would have been cool!

Overall, the Inn was very clean and neat. I saw some reviews regarding cigarette smoke and musty/moldy smells. I found none of that at all. I am pretty sensitive to that and I never once noticed any foul or offensive smells. One minor thing I noticed: there is a sign in the bathroom that requests that the guest re-use the towels to save energy. I hung up my towel to re-use it the next day, but the maid gave us new towels anyway. That's okay, I left the housekeeper a tip anyway. Oh - and they only gave two chocolates on the first night. My girlfriend ate both and I got none. A backup stash would have been nice. ;-)

We had breakfast Sunday morning at the Inn's restaurant, and the food was pretty good. I found the eggs, sausage and ham to be really good, but my girlfriend didn't like the french toast much. She did like the potatoes, though. The orange juice was generic but the coffee was nice and strong, the way I like it. The wait staff was efficient and kept the place clean. Overall a good spread.

The town of Jim Thorpe (nee Mauch Chunk) is quaint and pretty mellow, even with the tourists. The small cafes/restaurants are reasonably priced and most feature outdoor seating (which I highly recommend). The museums are worth the small admission prices ($2 to $5). Be sure to walk up Broadway slowly and really look at the old architecture. Much of the town looks pretty well preserved. As a photographer I normally scrutinize that kind of thing and I found a lot to admire. The residents are all friendly and are willing to share the history and stories of the town.

If you want a nice, slow-paced place to go for the weekend, you won't go wrong with the Inn at Jim Thorpe. But be forewarned! You may find yourself wanting to stay in the Inn rather than go outside. But hey, there's always the balcony.

• Liked — Charm, "cool factor"
  • Disliked — The vending machine is in the basement... But the drinks are inexpensive!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We originally were planning on staying at the country inn and suites right off the turnike but for the same price we were able to stay right in the center of town. The location of the inn is great. Walking distance to resturants, shops and bars. A quick drive or bike ride to Mauh Chunk Lake and the Glen Onoko Falls.

We stayed in a one queen bed room on the first floor(room 106). The room was kind of small and the bed locaton was kind of akward(the headboard was against the wall of the hallway and the side of the bed met right up wth the door). I personally did not mind the size of the room. Everything was very clean and no smell of smoke. The bed was decent and the room had a flat screen tv (not too big but was ok) and had regular cable not the usual few channels and a bunch of ads for movies to buy. Althouh you could rent a dvd for $5 but the room comes with a dvd player so just bring your own. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly even when we called at midnight for a plunger haha

If youre looking for a real fancy or modern hotel this isn't for you. But if you want something small and cozy this is definitely a nice place to go.

• Liked — Location, Historic, Clean, Comfortable
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My boyfriend and I had never been to Jim Thorpe before, so we weren't sure what to expect. However, the Inn at Jim Thorpe exceeded our expectations by far!

We were able to check in to the hotel an hour early at 2:00. Once we entered our room, there was a glass of wine and 2 wine glasses (part of the "romantic weekend" special). Everything was very clean in the room. The people working at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. In the evenings, we enjoyed sitting out on the balcony on the second floor. The chairs were real comfortable and it was super relaxing!

We received hour long massages as part of the special, and they were nice too. The breakfast buffet (once again, part of the package) included something for everyone: cold cereal, yogurt, toast, eggs (scrambled, over-easy, or omelet), waffles (or french toast), sausages, ham, danish, muffins, etc. The best part was the FRESH FRUIT!! One day it was strawberries, canteloupe and pineapple; the next day it was honeydew, canteloupe and pineapple. This beat the last hotel we stayed at in Florida where all they had was canned fruit cocktail :( Loved, loved, loved the fruit.

I don't know how anyone could say anything negative about this place. The hotel has such a neat atmosphere. Oh, and one of the best parts is the game room downstairs. There's a ping-pong table, a pool table, foosball and air hockey. We had the room all to ourselves! My boyfriend and I will definitely be returning to the Inn at Jim Thorpe in the near future.

• Liked — Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, good breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mckinley1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Comfort Inn-Pocono Mountain
Comfort Inn-Pocono Mountain
#2 of 6 in White Haven
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Inn at Jim Thorpe? Share your experiences!