“Not what I was expecting based on other reviews.”
Review of Inn at Jim Thorpe

Inn at Jim Thorpe
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jim Thorpe
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend, from 2/21 to 2/23 in room 215. Despite the good reviews that we saw on Tripadvisor about the Inn, we did not have a pleasant stay. When we arrived Friday night we headed to bed around 10pm. The live music from the bar was VERY loud. I laid in our bed and could hear every word of the songs playing until well after midnight. Then at 2am that night I was woken up by someone (sounded female) crying and throwing up somewhere near our room. We could not determine whether it was right outside our door or in the room next to us, but it was VERY loud and disturbing. Following this, it was difficult to fall back asleep due to the MULTIPLE door slams and people talking. I'm assuming as people were coming back from the bar that is on the first level of the hotel. I was once again woken up at 8am that morning to the sound of men literally YELLING at the top of their lungs the lyrics to songs. This went on for about a half hour until we finally called the front desk and complained. This is absolutely NOT what we were expecting from our stay at the Inn at Jim Thorpe. We were hoping to relax and enjoy ourselves and this simply wasn't possible. The fact that we could hear people talking ALL THE TIME told me the walls were paper thin, and the rowdy crowd is likely attributed to the lively bar in the hotel. It certainly is not advertised that way on the website. I am not pleased with our stay at the Inn, and would advise anyone looking for a truly RELAXING trip to avoid this place.

Lastly, on some websites this place is marketed as a bed and breakfast- and this is simply not the case. You get a $7 breakfast voucher for the restaurant downstairs. $7 does not cover the cost of the breakfast, the food was not that good, and the service was poor.

Room Tip: AVOID any room near the bar as it is VERY loud and plays live music well past midnight on the weeken...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Kristin P
David D, Owner at Inn at Jim Thorpe, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

I thank this guest for bringing up the issues that were experienced during her stay. This is valuable information that will help us improve our service going forward. I have already sent her a separate letter apologizing for the issues she experienced during her stay with us.

Regarding the loud music: We do have music in our pub on Thursday and Friday nights. It is supposed to end at 11 pm. Past that time is unacceptable, because we are aware the music can be heard in a few of our guestrooms above. I apologize if it did continue past that time. I have already spoken to our restaurant manager about this. I do read every comment that we receive. If that was a chronic issue, I would know about it and it would stop. This was an isolated incident and will not happen again.
As far as the noise from other guests-that is unfortunate and I do apologize for that also. How other guests act, though, should not reflect on the hotel overall. It is not our fault if a guest is out of hand. We happened to have a wedding party in the room next to the room the guest was staying in that weekend .They were the ones carrying on. The guest wrote in a letter to me that they waited 1 1/2 hours after they woke up the next morning to call the front desk to complain about it.The only time we have any control over what other guests do is when the front desk is notified. If we take no action, then we are at fault-otherwise how can we be blamed? Unfortunately we cannot predict when a guest is going to create problems for others.

All walls within the hotel are standard 2 x 4 walls and are insulated. They are not "paper thin". We are dealing with a hotel built in 1894 which has been totally renovated. There is only so much we can do.
Regarding the $7 breakfast vouchers: It is exactly that- it goes towards the purchase of breakfast. Yes, we are listed on a few B&B websites, so I suppose certain assumptions can be made. However, all information on these sites pertaining to our specific property note that we are a hotel with 45 guestrooms with no mention of a free breakfast.
Our restaurant gets very high marks overall for our food and service. However we are not perfect. I am sorry if the guest was not satisfied with the food or service we provided.
Dave
The Innkeeper

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I spent a night in this beautiful Inn, located in a historic New Orleans style building built in 1849. Located right on Broadway it is very conveniently located, being steps away from dining and shopping. The architecture of the hotel and the town itself is very pleasing in my opinion. The rooms are very well priced, are nicely furnished and have all the modern amenities. The room was a bit small and the front desk staff was not the friendliest upon arrival, but that did not ruin my experience. We will definitely return when we return to Jim Thorpe soon.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jason M
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed at The Inn for the Ski & Stay package which maybe only saves you a few dollars, but it is convenient nonetheless. The Front Desk was very helpful; when I booked they only had room at the nearby Broadway House, but on arrival I was able to get a room at the Inn. The King bed was wonderful, the room was comfortable, clean and relaxing, including a skylight and nice bathroom. The food was delicious at the hotel restaurant (Broadway Grille) for dinner and breakfast. We will definitely return. (Note that noise does travel through the walls a little, but it is pretty quiet by midnight here.)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at the Inn for two nights over the weekend. It was lovely! Warm, well cared for, staff was great. The room was clean and very comfortable, historic without being stuffy or overwrought. Take advantage of all that the town has to offer as well, nearby state park, plenty of restaurants and pubs. Can't wait to return in the summer!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank bmoregrlz
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stay there at least once a year. The rooms are well kept and comfortable although not huge. There is a small restaurant and bar that are both great. The food is good and bar crowd always great. I highly recommend staying there and visiting the great little town of Jim Thorpe.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed here December 17-20, 2014.
Service was the worst i have seen in my entire life. I work in hospitality business, I know how it should be.
We travel a lot, we know how it can be.

We arrived on the snow storm. Tired and after horrible trip, because our car was all over the road due to the very slippery roads.
First, we walked in the hotel. The lady at the reception (the same lady i will mention here again later) was on the phone. She saw us but didn't acknowledge our presence even with the eye contact. Call was over 5 minutes. When it was finally over she raised her eyed and just said:checking in? No apologies for the wait what so ever.
"Your ID and credit card". - she said. Without any politness.
"We pay cash" - "ok".
All this time she wasn't even looking at us.she acted like we are desturbing her piece. Anyway, we understand that people can have bad days. So we decided to start a friendly conversation. We told her how good weather is for skiing (which was the main purpose of coming), but how terrible was our trip in. Well, she didn't even try to be nice. All she said was that:yeah, I don't know how I'm gonna get home now. Anyway, we came to the room. Clean, average size, reasonable price. Then we had to figure out how to get to the ski slopes, because we couldn't take out car on these roads. I came downstairs and ask the same lady if she knows car or cab service available in this area. What a naive person i was! She looked at me and said:well you know, there is one cab company, but i don't think they will go anywhere in this weather. Ok, but maybe there is any other company around or you know someone who could take us, maybe shuttle buses?she just said NO. Literary, just one word! This is ski resort! ! How in the world there is no shuttle service to the slopes? ! How can you be so much no anticipating our problem? We are your guests, pay money and we came to ski! !! Some other gentleman overheard our conversation. He took yellow pages, started conversation and tried to help us. Well, no luck for us. But at least, he showed that our presence matters.
We went out to eat. Came back and saw another receptionist, older man. We asked him if he knows a shuttle services around. No, he didn't. But he was at least polite. We went out to take a walk very upset. Our ski passes were prepaid and non-refundable. And O Miracle! !! Right around the corner from the hotel there is a huge sign on the door of the ski shop: SHUTTLES!! Guess what? We were on the ski slopes in 45 minutes...I have a question to all the hotel staff, to the owner: why don't you care so much? ! Or you seriously don't know your 2 blocks around your property? Later, anything we asked they didn't know anything: places to eat, places to buy groceries, places to have a drink around. The service wasTHE WORST WE HAVE EVER SEEN!
During our stay, they called us and said that shower was leaking to the restaurant downstairs. Alright, stuff happens,we are ok to move. But guess what? No apologies for the inconvenience from reception. Only very pleasant housekeeping manager apologized when she was showing us another room.
The day of check out was the terrible experience. So i came downstairs and asked the same lady who checked us in, to check us out. I politely asked to add my name on the receipt. She looked agrivated by this request and said she can't. I was already fed up with all this carelessness and i asked her WHY CAN'T YOU?" ! I work in the hotel! ! I know what you can you, front office! She said the most stupid thing i ever heard:because you paid cash. What does cash have to do with the receipt? ! I asked her to just put my name next to the name of my fiance. She asked for my ID. She put the name in, printed the receipt, showing how much i arritate her, slid my ID on the counter, didn't even look at me. And forget about any THANK YOU FOR STAYING WITH US. no no no,not even a word. So we left.
That was my 25 th birthday trip. This hotel left me with bitter experience. We will never be back, neither any of our friends will ever come here. The worst experience ever!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank olena_traveller
David D, General Manager at Inn at Jim Thorpe, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

I apologize to this guest for the lack of professionalism and helpfulness from one of our front desk staff. That should not happen, but as we are all human -it can. Our goal is always to please our guests but every once in a while things do happen. Overall, our reviews are excellent for our service. We have been very consistent over the years in that dept. This is one of those rare times where- for whatever reason- the front desk person referred to in the review was most definitely off. All I can say is that she has been with us for years and is her overall performance has been excellent. I will, of course, go over this review with her.
Regarding the shuttle- it is extremely rare that we ever get requests for shuttle service to the local ski area. If there was demand for it - we would do it ourselves. The local bike shop that rents ski equipment in the winter had done it some years ago, but we were unaware that they were doing it again. You would think they would let us know they were doing it but they did not. I contacted them while replying to this review, and they said the owner will do it if he is available. I'm glad it worked out for the reviewer, but we really cannot guarantee that service will always be available. Still, I take full responsibility for not knowing what was going on there. We certainly know now!

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The staff were very nice boththe hotel and the pub.My room was excellent and exceptionaly clean. I was upgraded to a double that I did not ask for.they did a great job on the restoration of this hotel.I have and will still continue to recommend this hotel

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
#6 of 6 in White Haven
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Inn at Jim Thorpe? Share your experiences!