“Management stinks!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jim Thorpe
Fairport
“Management stinks!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend getaway. Our first day there, I noticed some hairs stuck to the bathroom wall, as well as the fact that the walls were very dirty( as if nobody had wiped the walls down in a while). I brought this to the attention of the girls at the front desk, who were very apologetic. They told me the issue would be handled. We arrived back that night, still dirty. I again spoke to the girls, as well as the head housekeeper, who assured me she would do it herself. The walls still had hair on them. I asked one lat time, this time showing a housekeeper the hair. Only 1 of the 4 dirty walls with hair on them was cleaned. I finally did it myself. Our extra room blanket had something dried and crusty on it, and a burned out light bulb in our room was not replaced the entire 4 days we were there. We put a call in to the manager when we were staying there, only to get voicemail. Our voicemail was not returned until I reviewed our stay in response to an email generated from the hotel. Only then did I get an emailed response from Dave the innkeeper. He repeatedly stated that he was sorry the room was not cleaned to my expectations, which I responded to say the room was not clean period. He never apologized, nor admitted that the room was not clean, even after I sent him numerous pictures showing the hair on the walls. His final email told me he would send me a gift certificate for a future stay. I responded simply asking for a days credit on my charge, as his hotel was almost 5 hrs away, and it was unlikely that we would be able to make that trip again.
As of today, I have received neither a credit to my account, a gift certificate for a future stay, nor an apology for the unclean room.
Breakfast vouchers are included in room cost, but food is way overpriced and you end up paying for breakfast as well (cup of coffee was $2.50). Food was also lukewarm.
Drinks at bar were good, and bartenders were great!
Overall, my weekend birthday getaway was a big disappointment !

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were very happy with our stay at the inn, such a cute place! Ideal location if you don't want to drive around a whole lot. Loved the Keurig coffee in the room! Housekeeping was very pleasant when I asked for some more k-cups. Clean, and cozy! We stayed in a basic room with a queen bed, which was nice, we didn't spend much time in our room anyway.

1 Thank Cindy601
Macungie, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We really do love this place. It is just such a cool , quiet little town and the Inn at Jim Thorpe is right in the middle of it all. Great Service, cool old building with lots of history and the perfect location make this a fantastic way to get away from it all for a few days. Can't wait until our next visit !

Room Tip: We loved the Suite with hot tub and fireplace...
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have always wanted to visit the Jim Thorpe area in the fall and saw that the Inn was featuring a Wine Weekend Package on the first weekend in November. We decided to try it as it included 2 nights accomodations, breakfast vouchers both days, a 2 hour wine tasting class, lunch at Crave 66, shuttles to 2 local wineries, and a wine paired 5-course dinner at Crave 66. Unfortunately, the hurricane the week before brought down most of the fall leaves, but that was the only downside to our weekend. The town is lovely, the Hotel was full of charm (2 story balconies lining the main street, narrow hallways, gorgeous woodwork and period decor) and we had a great time. The hotel makes reservations by room...we took Room 107, one of the standard rooms with a queen bed. It was a little small by modern hotel standards, and the view was of the parking lot, but we weren't in the room that much. There were spa products in the bathroom and a keurig for in-room coffee and tea (which was also available round the clock in the lobby).

My only gripe is that the room heater/airconditioner was turned off when we arrived (and it was in the 40's outside), so it was chilly in the room when we first got there, but it quickly warmed up when we blasted the heat. When they cleaned our room the next day, they also turned it off, so we again arrived to a cold room. I realize they are trying to conserve, but maybe just leaving the heat on a lower setting might be a good compromise? We didn't complain to anyone about it, though, so we really shouldn't complain too much.

The breakfast vouchers they gave us for Broadway Grille (in lobby) were for $7 per person and you could get items below this price (fruit/granola, oatmeal), but we chose the plus meat options which cost a little more, but still...the extra $9 for 2 people for breakfast can't be beat.

We would be happy to return to Jim Thorpe and the Inn!

1 Thank hillyeee
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this beautiful Inn for a weekend away with another couple. We stayed on one of the upper floors but there is an elevator if needed. The room was beautiful and with the AC running, we didn't notice the traffic outside our room. There was a Keurig with plenty of coffee & tea options in the room. The bathroom was nice and I LOVED the organic and green friendly bath products!!! A very nice treat for this Eco/green girl:) the beds were very comfortable & I slept like a rock! We got a breakfast voucher to eat @ the on site restaurant, it covered the entire meal. This is close to all the hub bub and right in the middle of it all! Great weekend getaway!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jewels393
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I planned a trip to Jim Thorpe, PA and stayed at The Inn at Jim Thorpe. All in all it was not a bad location but we had a problem with noise from the air/heating unit. So loud you couldn't sleep. We complained at the front desk after the first morning and were assured it would be check out. When we returned in the evening the noise persisted. Again, we asked the front desk staff if someone had checked out the unit. They knew nothing about the problem. Seems a real lack of communication. You would think that a customer's complaint would have received immediate attention. We completed our stay with the terrible noise with the only remedy being turning it off after being continously awakend by the noise. Sad end to an other wise pleasant stay. We stayed in Room 308 FYI.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 308!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny T
InnJimThorpe, Owner at Inn at Jim Thorpe, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Jenny,

I am very sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced with regard to the heater unit in your guestroom.

I was very concerned about your comments and looked into the situation before I responded. As it turns out, the issue was in fact relayed to our maintenance supervisor immediately. He takes very good notes and wrote in his log book that he checked it on 10/3. He could find nothing wrong with it. He rechecked again later that morning (11:30 am to be exact) and still found no issues. So apparently it is an intermittent issue or something that happens after it has been on for awhile. This can unfortunately happen.

Your review is helpful to us. We will be setting up a system whereby the person who checks the issue leaves a note that it has been checked, and to let our guests know the status of it. That way all of our guests know that we are indeed of top of these things.

Once again we apologize for the loud heater and we hope you'll return someday and give us a second chance.

David Drury
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just finished a two day stay here, and won't even consider other lodging if visiting the town again. Not that other lodging might not be as good, but I can't imagine it would be better, so there'd be no point. And frankly, having seen some of the B and B's in town this weekend, none are better located than the Inn.

We stayed in room 310, which featured a king-sized bed, mini-fridge, coffee maker, and sitting area perfect for my wife to apply her make-up. No view to speak of, but we weren't really looking for one (but make sure you do drive up to 'Flagstaff' for that spectacular view before you leave town). The bathroom is one of the better layouts I've seen in a hotel. Mattress on the bed was extremely comfortable, and you could get a large number of t.v. stations on the large flat-panel tv. Check-in was simple and pleasant, and while we could hear the patter of little feet in the room above us on occassion, the hotel, in general, was very quiet.

As others have said, location is perfect. You could literally park your car for a weekend stay and not move it until you left. There aren't enough parking spots in the hotel lot for every car, but there are a couple of satellite lots the hotel uses nearby. Not ideal, but about the best you can expect in such a small town (but also the reason I don't give the hotel 5 stars - well, that and the 1-ply toilet paper ;)).

The Broadway Grill attached to the hotel serves excellent breakfasts and desserts. We didn't eat dinner there. The hotel gives you a $7 voucher for breakfast for each day of your stay, and while it won't cover the total cost of most breakfasts, it will keep your payment below $10 for two (which includes the tip), so not bad.

Jim Thorpe itself is a cute little town with lots of shops to visit, though some had so much crap in them it was a bit overwhelming. You can pretty much get through them all in a day or less, but there are also outdoor activities like hiking and rafting you can engage in if interested. But regardless of what you choose to do, you can't go wrong staying at the Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
#3 of 3 in Lehighton
Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White Haven - Lake Harmony
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Inn at Jim Thorpe? Share your experiences!