“Excellent Trip!”

Harry Packer Mansion Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My wife found the mansion sort of out of the blue, and booked it for a weekend. A two night minimum was required, so we decided to stay Saturday and Sunday night. The mystery event goes from Friday to Saturday, so we were slightly out of sync with most of the guests.

First, the property is amazing, and if you love history you won't be disappointed. The owners, (Bob and Patti), Kristen, and everyone we met while there were very friendly and inviting. We always felt welcomed and were well taken care of. Our first afternoon we wandered and did the self tour, and almost interrogated Kristen about the history of the property, we asked so many questions. She was extremely friendly and answered everything.

My wife and I sat on the porch several times, looking out at the mountains and down at the town. It was great for drinking a beer and enjoying the afternoon, or eating breakfast to get the day started, and was our preferred place to sit. How often do you get to enjoy coffee sitting on the porch of a Victorian mansion?

We stayed in a room in the Carriage House instead of the main mansion because it was already booked. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. There is free WIFI, which I was quite happy with. My truck took up quite a bit of space in the parking lot, but Patti came out and helped direct me up to a second parking lot I fit into much nicer.

On our last morning, we were the only people there and sat on the patio talking with Bob about the history of the mansion and town. It was great to hear more of the backstory of so many parts of the mansion and town, and it never felt like we were being rushed to leave. In fact, we had to end the conversation since we had to get on the road.

We can't wait to go back again soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John H

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Went with my husband for our anniversary and we had a blast! The staff is amazing! Beautiful rooms and quiet atmosphere. The murder mystery weekend keeps you guessing the whole time I was the murderer and didn't even realize it till the end. Totally awesome time and the food was great. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We signed up for the murder mystery weekend and and had a great time. The murder mystery was entertaining and it was a great way to meet other guests. We also learned a lot of the history of the house and the area. The rooms are comfortable and period appropriate and the food was delicious for both breakfast and the evening meal on Saturday. We enjoyed the Inn bar and the wide variety of drinks and wines that were available. We had high expectations for the weekend because of the reviews and we were not disappointed. The Inn overlooks the town of Jim Thorpe which is just steps away. Many, many steep steps. We walked up and down more steps than I have in a very long time. We were also on the third floor in the mansion and the ceilings are quite high so that was a lot of steps as well. The weather was rainy and cold while we were there so we didn't do much exploring. I wouldn't mind going back to explore but wouldn't recommend it to someone who has issues with walking, particularly stairs. We had been looking for a murder mystery at a Bed and Breakfast for a long time and felt that it not only was a great value, but everything we had expected.

Room Tip: If you don't like going up as many stairs, get a room in the carriage house.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had no idea where we were going for my birthday weekend and I don't think it is possible for my husband to have planned anything better than the Murder Mystery Weekend at Harry Packer Mansion. We drove into Jim Thorpe around 8:30pm and my breath was immediately taken from me when I saw the Asa Packer Mansion all lit up along the hillside. When we arrived at the H.P. mansion, I immediately fell in love with how the area was illuminated with small lights which gave it a very romantic feel. Little did I know the greatness that was waiting in side for me.
We were greeted by Taylor (one of the inn keepers). He was so warm and welcoming. He gave us the run down and showed us our room. It was then that he said the words "Murder Mystery begins at 9:00pm"... and I completely GEEKED OUT!
I am not kidding when I say this, there is not a single thing that I did not like about this weekend. Our room was great, the food was fantastic and the adult beverages were amazing. I can not wait to go again for a different mystery! A definite must for anyone who loves history, comedy and a great murder (well, no one loves murder...but the mystery of it sure is made fun here). Kudos to the Harry Packer Mansion. Thank you for helping to make my birthday weekend so awesome!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a wonderful weekend at the mansion with other guests on Saturday night and Sunday night we had the mansion to ourselves! The restoration on the Inn is incredible! The innkeepers were terrific and informative. They helped us print out a covered bridge tour near the area. Breakfast was awesome! All the rooms we saw were beautiful! Jim Thorpe is a quaint little town. You will love it here! Next time we will try the Murder Mystery weekend.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We arrived at the mansion without expectations. The adventure began as soon as we arrived. The mansion is a magnificent example of an authentic 2 1/2-story, three bay wide, red brick dwelling in the Italianate style. The ambiance of the mansion sets the perfect backdrop for a murder mystery. I enjoyed the authenticity of the house as well as the furnishings.
Our room, Annie's Room, was both elegant and comfortable. The proprietors, Bob and Pat go out of their way to make the experience memorable. There is a bar available for cocktails in the evening as well as a delicious home cooked breakfast in the mornings. Saturday night of the murder mystery the entire group dines together for a formal dinner offering the opportunity to chat about the characters in the murder. An added bonus is the town of Jim Thorpe with lots of local history and small boutique shops.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

If you are looking for a fun and an extraordinary experience, Harry Packer certainly fits the bill. I surprised my hubby with a Murder Mystery weekend and what fun we had! We enjoy B&B's a lot and this one absolutely had the historic charm and quaint town to walk around in as well. What really set it apart is the family that owns and manages the property. You do feel more like you are visiting elegant friends from a bygone era rather than a retail establishment and the exciting events that unfold through the weekend quite take you away into a different world.

Murder mystery is not to be trifled with and Bob, the "Talent" is indeed very talented. Two thumbs up all around. The only miss is on my part of planning too last minute and not being able to get a room in the main house -- we ended up at the carriage house which is perfectly fine but would have preferred to be in the main mansion.

Room Tip: Main house for sure!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dbm2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe), PA
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast
Hill Home Forge
Hill Home Forge
#3 of 17 in Jim Thorpe
Hillcrest Bed & Breakfast
Hillcrest Bed & Breakfast
#8 of 17 in Jim Thorpe

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!