“Unwelcome beginning”

and 1 more site!
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After our "host" ran out to greet us with "I didn't realize you were on a motorcycle" we were glad we prepaid because she wouldn't have checked us in otherwise. We were asked before we even got inside to "make sure you do not start the bike at night because it would make problems"! As we have our own high standards, we have no intention of roaring high at 1am! We wanted to calmly tour the town after a quick nap, and my wife went to the parlor while I napped. Needless to say the atmosphere in and around the place and the Proprietors leave much to be desired!! No fun or cheer here! While the room is ok and breakfast was fine, these people need lessons on happiness and charm!! No discrimation would help too, as everyone knows people that may own motorcycles are not all cheap and broke. The host was overall cranky and standoffish and the whole experience was not a good one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jimtroiano
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

I regret to write this response because I don't want to embarrass you or your wife but the reputation of our business makes this impossible to ignore. We did report your threats of multiple negative reviews posted by you and your friends to trip advisor. We hoped this would all go away before it went public but to no avail.
We have no issue with motorcycles but when one is so loud that other guests complain about it we must take action. We had other guests here that same weekend on quiet motorcycles; it is not the method of transportation but the difficult attitude that was the problem. The attitude of, "who cares I'll do what I want," does create an uncomfortable situation. Your returning to the mansion late at night so drunk you couldn't get in the backdoor and then ringing the bell continuously only made matters worse. I do give credit to your wife who apologized profusely as you both stumbled up the stairs. We also received a call before you returned from the bar that night alerting us that your credit card was declined, you were loud and drunk. One person versus 22 other guests; we have to think of the comfort of the majority.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a wonderful weekend. Harry Packer’s mansion is located in a picturesque old town of Jim Thorpe. Mountain views are amazing. It is an old coal mining town that stretched along an old rail road line that is still operating on weekends as a local tourist attraction. The tragic history of Packer’s family, lost fortune and beautifully preserved old house were a perfect setting for “murder mystery” weekend. We stayed in Annie’s suite, well preserved two original rooms all beautifully decorated based on 1800’s tastes and colors, 20” ceiling and a bathroom that is probably comparable in size to my bedroom in NY. It felt like we were invited to stay with Mr. Packer’s family.
Murder mystery, entirely new concept for me, was surprisingly entertaining. Detective Bob (owner of the BB) was dexterous to move the discussion and all twists and turns of the long story in the right direction. It was more than entertaining, we learned US history by re-enacting several days from 100 years ago. Bob did a wonderful job, we all felt like part of the Parker family.
Breakfast was delicious and if you add Mountain Views from the porch on which the breakfast was served it was just splendid.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hi there!
I am so glad that Bob's enthusiasm for the murder mystery and the history of the Packer family made for an enjoyable weekend for you.
Hope to see you again soon.
Warmest regards, Pat

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Harry Packer Mansion and Jim Thorpe is the perfect setting for a Murder Mystery experience.

There are a lot of things to see and do in the town and surrounding area.

The Mansion is beautiful. The hosts were very nice and helpful. The food was delicious. The Murder Mystery roll-playing experience was fun.

I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We are so glad you had a fun weekend and hope you'll return for the next mystery!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband & I were given this weekend (June 21st to June 23rd, 2013) getaway as an anniversary gift by our daughter. We've stayed at other Bed & Breakfast's during our 14 years of marriage. When the door opens, no matter how impressed you are with the outside of the building, you wonder what you will experience. We were kindly greeted by Pat & Taylor & trying to absorb what they are saying to you as you are turning in a circle looking round & up at the amazing entrance & adjoining rooms. Everything had a touch of love & quaintness to it that served its purpose by fitting right in with the period of the building! Our stay was wonderful & they recommended the Wheel restaurant to us which we frequented twice during our stay. We had quite a group & the real ice breaker was "Inspector Bob" during our Mystery Murder weekend. The mystery will keep you on your toes by having to learn your assigned character & what really helps is having the bar in the next room where I enjoyed "chocotini's"! My husband & I plan on returning for a different "mystery murder weekend"! Thank you Bob, Pat, Taylor & your adorable wife whose name I did not catch! If you are looking for a getaway with gobs of interesting history, beautiful Victorian surroundings & a house that has been restored with love, respect & hard work, this is the place for you. Anyone can stay at a sterile & generic motel/hotel room with no character where there is no interaction & no chance to meet & make new friends, but my husband & I prefer the Harry Packer Mansion!!! See you soon!!!

Room Tip: Any room would be great because we stayed on the third floor & were able to enjoy gazing at the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debra L
trackrat325is, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words!
A great review reminds us how much we love making guests happy they stayed with us!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I came for a murder mystery weekend. It was a blast! The mansion is incredible. We stayed in Harry's Room. It was great. We peeked in the other rooms and they looked fabulous, too. I think any of them would really be fine. I would recommend choosing a room in the mansion rather than the carriage house, though. The ambience and decor is better there, and the rooms in the mansion are more convenient to the terrace, lounge, breakfast and coffee. The family that owns the mansion are wonderful. Bob, who leads the murder mystery, is fascinating and hilarious. Pat serves delicious meals. There were 3 vegetarians in attendance and we had more than enough tasty, meatless options. The murder mystery is so much fun. It is done in 3 rounds. Each guest is assigned a part and given at sheet explaining only what they need to know for the next round. Bob leads everyone through the process of the murder, motives, and solving the crime. My husband and I are not very outgoing. I was nervous when I realized we would actually be part of the mystery. Bob is so great at his job, though, he pulls everything together. He's so funny! He put us all at ease and soon everyone was having a great time getting into character and playing off each other. It was a riot from the get-go. A few other things I would recommend: Take tennis shoes - there is not a lot of parking in town. The easiest way to get around is to walk. Dress in layers - the weather may say it is a high of 78, but in the mountains it takes a while to warm up and then cools down quickly in the evening.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissAnneZZ

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend here for a murder mystery weekend.
We checked in Friday night with a courteous, helpful and kind Taylor. After showing us the locking ways of the door, he showed us to our room.
We stayed on the 3rd floor of the main house. What a wonderful room! Beautifully kept, decorated and ready for a nice, relaxing and enjoyable weekend. After being introduced to our room, we were shown the coffee and tea available at anytime upstairs, along with the water available downstairs anytime. We were guided to the area for breakfast the next day, the lounge where adult beverages were also available and the veranda to enjoy the outside if desired. We were introduced to our murder mystery guide/host, Bob that evening. He is quite the entertainer and also quite knowledgable about the house, town, and Packer family (along with more).
Saturday morning began with breakfast (delicious- eggs/hash browns, Canadian bacon, waffles and fixings, fruits, baked yummies, juice and coffee). Quite enough for a great start to the day. There were also some delicious Bloody Mary's and mimosas enjoyed as well as Taylor was happy to accommodate us. The murder mystery began with round 1 and our wonderful host Bob again. What good fun it was.
Fast forward to dinner that evening, as it was included for our murder mystery weekend package. DELICIOUS beef, veggies, potatoes, pasta, and salad. Food was fantastic all weekend! Following the dinner we concluded our murder mystery to great guidance by Bob and great fun by all.
My husband and I went to this not knowing anyone but we enjoyed it by far because all were friendly and fun (guests and hosts). Bob our host was so personable and enjoyable to talk with, about most anything. his knowledge of Packer related history and the town history was phenomenal and showed his love of what he does. Breakfast the last morning included a delicious quiche that I could easily have eaten many many slices, waffles and fixings, eggs, sausage, fruit and other baked yummies.
We had such an enjoyable weekend! We hope to return again and bring more with us. (Or at least send more people your way)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaraK110

We are delighted you joined us for the weekend and went to the trouble of writing a review, we love seeing them!
Hope you see you again soon!!!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the Harry Packer Mansion over the easter weekend. We had a wonderful time. The owners were extremely hospitable and made our weekend relaxing and pleasurable.
we arrived a day late so the town was closed on easter sunday but we did walk around the town and it was lovely. Hope to come back and stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S

Thank you for the great review.
We hope you'll return and enjoy all of the great things our beautiful area has to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
#3 of 3 in Lehighton
Pocono Resort Conference Center
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!