“Amazing Experience”

and 1 more site!
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I went with a group of a dozen friends and was the organizer of the event. Having never stayed there prior, naturally I was worried about everything. The moment I arrived, my worries were alleviated. The mansion itself is stunning and the view of the town is just breathtaking. The team running the mansion (and the murder mystery in our case) did an amazing job of making us feel comfortable and welcome. Libations Lounge was a great treat with an excellent selection of beer, wine and liquor. The meals included in our package were very tasty and the Murder Mystery story itself is highly entertaining.

I stayed in Harry's Suite, which was spacious, beautiful, and comfortable. I'd highly recommend nabbing one of the suites!!!

Room Tip: Book early and grab one of the suites!
1  Thank nj_itguy

Reviewed May 26, 2011

The Harry Packer Mansion is just a beautiful place! Bob, Pat, Taylor, Kristen (and Tiger too!) made us feel right at home when we arrived. The accomodations were very comfortable and clean. We stayed in "Gussie's" room which was large and well appointed. The suites in the mansion are spectacular; that's where I want to be next time! Food and drinks were excellent.
The Murder Mystery was a blast! I've never laughed so hard in my life! All around, this was a great weekend at a great value. I think this will have to be a yearly retreat for our group of friends. We'll be back! (Get Ready!)

Reviewed May 26, 2011

Wow! From the moment you set eyes upon the Harry Packer Mansion in picturesque Jim Thorpe, you know you are in for an experience like no other. We were greeted by our warm and friendly hosts who showed us our room and offered the Mansion for our own tour. We were made to feel like family visiting friends for the weekend. Our hosts gave us free reign of the ground floor and we could sit by the fireplace...or on the beautiful porch for hours.

The Murder Mystery was hysterical! Although not everyone knew each other at first, we all quickly became fast friends. Libations Lounge was an added perk for an onsite bar, especially after 9pm when it is open for guests only. We felt exclusive and fabulous.

Our hosts were warm, humorous and accommodating. The rooms are period style and you feel like you are living an extravagant lifestyle in the late 1800’s. We can not wait to come back with even more friends!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Just got back from a delightful couple of days in Jim Thorpe at the Harry Packer Mansion. WIll go back ASAP - the hosts, Pat and Bob, were lovely, the place is relaxing and beautiful, and the rooms are nicely appointed. Loved hanging out on the porch with a glass of wine from their in-house wine bar (which has some nice wines, and fairly priced) and enjoyed hearing the history of the house from Bob. Our suite, the Harry Packer Suite, was super-comfy and I loved the deep deep bathtub. Ideally located for hiking and other outside activities, and it's only a block from the main street in Jim Thorpe, which has lots of shops and restaurants. I do not like B&Bs on the whole and tend to avoid them, but the Harry Packer Mansion is a prize.

Room Tip: The rooms I saw all looked pretty nice!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cookbook_junkie64
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I will start by saying I am not usually someone who stays at B&B's but when I heard The Harry Packer Mansion reviewed on NPR as the best Murder Mystery Weekend on the East Coast and the house that the Disney Haunted Mansion was replicated from it sounded like a hoot and I just had to check it out.
My husband had no interest so I went with my mom and my best friend whose birthday is coming. We had such a great time! We honestly didn't really know what to expect, but it was a fun experience.
I had called Pat many times throughout the booking process(on behalf of my mother) and she was very gracious and kind every time.
We arrived a bit late on Friday night because there was awful traffic out of philadelphia and Pat was so great. She ran around to make sure we were able to get dinner downtown and be back in time for the murder mystery festivities. Like I said I don't usually stay at B&B's but I was really impressed with the welcome we received and could see why people enjoy staying at them.
The mansion itself is beyond gorgeous. We were there on a most picturesque May weekend. Just sitting on the terrace was so beautiful and made it worth every penny!
None of us had ever been at Jim Thorpe before and were all impressed with its quaintness.
We were also surprised at Breakfast.. It was amazing. We figured it would be continental breakfast ( a couple muffins and some juice) no way.. It was full hot breakfast.. Eggs, Ham, Fruit, etc.. It was so lovely.
Dinner on Saturday night was also really lovely.
My friend is very social and by the end of the trip we had really made friends with all of our murder mystery buddies which was great.
We laughed alot throughout the process as it was just silly. Bob who runs the murder mystery was great! He really gets into it and has a fun way about him.
I have absolutely no complaints if I had one suggestion I might say that the mid day session of the mystery perhaps went on a bit long, as it's before lunch.
But I would recommend the experience to anyone. It's a beautiful B&B run by a very nice family!
If you are looking something out of the ordinary in a beautiful setting this is your place!!

3  Thank Luckygirl_11
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Just spent the week-end at the Harry Packer Mansion Murder Mystery. From the time we arrive on Friday evening through Sunday morning we were entertained. The murder mystery week-end was filled with fun, laughter and great food. The staff was very accommodating. Breakfast was delicious home made waffles, fresh friut, eggs, nut breads and Saturday night dinner was superb prime rib. Fabulous fun, relaxing week end. Hats off to Bob and Pat for making our stay so great!

Mary and Tom C.

Room Tip: Warm and cozy!
Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marlqueen
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I prefer to stay at a bed and breakfast over a hotel. We like the quaintness of the experience, the (often times) historical aspect of the facility, the personable staff, the homey feeling, the "catered to" aspect and the over all unique experience. In all our travels and stays at bed and breakfast facilities, we've never been left to feel so unimpressed as we have when we stayed at the Harry Packer Bed and Breakfast in Jim Thorpe, PA.

First, we made our reservations by phone back in October for our St Patricks Day stay. We chose to reserve a room in the Carriage House. We were told by phone that we would be charged only a $100 deposit. When we received our credit card statement in November, we were charged $165.00 in full (includes state & local taxes) for the visit. I emailed the bed and breakfast and in response were told by Patricia Handwerk that it was their error and were offered a few options:

1. Cancel the reservation and be refunded the full amount.
2. Credit back $65 and pay at the time of check out.
3. Leave the charge and be mailed the receipt.

We opted for option #3. This was on November 7th. November 29th rolled around and we'd still not received any receipt. I emailed again and was told, again by Patricia, that it was mailed and perhaps the holidays were holding things up. At this point, I printed out all email communication with this bed and breakfast and made a copy of our credit card statement. Our trust and confidence in this establishment was just completely diminished.

On March 16th I called to confirm our reservation and Patricia had answered the phone. When I asked her what time we could check in, we were told any time after 4pm. The next day we arrived at 4:15pm and while Patricia (Pat) did lead us to the Carriage House and permit us to check in to our room, we could not enter the Mansion until 6pm because the Mansion "wasn't ready" yet. Beyond showing us to our room, Patricia did nothing to make us feel welcomed. We'd never felt so unwelcomed in a bed and breakfast as we had at the Harry Packer Mansion. Seriously, for $165 bucks a night, I want an experience. A full blown experience. All we got was a room and told that we could enter the mansion at 6pm. Ok fine, perhaps had we gone to the mansion at 6pm, we would have gotten SOMETHING for our money, but at this point.... we felt like just sucking it up and going out on the town and finding some enjoyment!

The room. Our room in the Carriage House was cute, but the white.... (or were they off white?) .... curtains were black at the bottom hem. Filthy! The hand towels in the bathroom looked like they had encountered bleach and were discolored. The robes that hung behind the door looked like they'd been purchased at the Salvation Army because they were that "used" looking. Disgusting and gross. Again for $165 a night, you expect clean curtains! It's a basic expectation!

The next morning we headed over to breakfast.... to which I was not looking forward too. Now, let me say right up front..... part of this is MY fault..... but yet, I was also NEVER asked which was unusual in our experience with bed and breakfast establishments. I'm vegan and was never asked if we had any dietary needs. Once the chaos with the deposit and the lack of receipt in the mail that was promised, I just didn't feel the need to tell them I was vegan because honestly.... if you can screw up mailing a receipt, am I going to trust that you can make even the most basic vegan breakfast? Again, I accept part responsibility because I could have told them, but I just felt like it wasn't something I could trust at the end of the day. In fact, we showed up for breakfast at last minute. Originally my husband and I were just going to check out and grab breakfast on our 45 minute trip home. In any event, I ended up eating fruit, wasn't so bad. My husband ate scrambled eggs and cold hashbrowns. Not luke warm, but cold. We were the only ones staying at the Mansion/Carriage House that day so it's not like Patricia had a lot of people to cook for and had problems keeping the food warm. We were also served french toast made with raisin bread.... which we both passed since I'm the stupid vegan (said with humor!) and my husband hates raisins. We both left a little hungry and feeling like we could have gotten better quality at the local diner.

As we pulled out of the driveway, my husband mentioned that perhaps we'd gotten such a raw deal because we were staying there during the week and not during their money making "murder mystery" weekends. We'll never know. We'll never be back to visit. Thankfully.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jobonster
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2011

Trip advisor suggests that all reviews be answered by the property, I have spent several weeks trying to figure out how to respond to such anger and hostility and am still at a loss.
Most negative reviews you have a hint are coming, some are even deserved,
but this is what I call an ambush review.
I had no idea the second receipt never arrived so when I answered the door to a very cool couple had I no idea why they were not very friendly.
I figured, bad ride up, little fight, etc so I just plowed right along hoping for the best.
I explained the house was not ready yet(plumbing issue, no need to go into the gory details) but by the time they settled into their room it would be available for them to wander around, enjoy the lounge or sit in front of the fire. No response.
Asked what their plans were for the night, not much more in the way of an answer so I let it go and showed them the room, the coffee service, and locking system .
Asked if breakfast at 9 was good for them, got a yes.
Never saw them again until 10AM the next morning.
I had breakfast ready at 9 and at 9:30 tossed it out, eggs don't keep and I figured they were sleeping in, no big deal.
At 10 when they came over I remade the breakfast, eggs, potatoes, french toast, fresh fruit, muffins, breakfast bread, orange juice. Served it and went back a few moments later and asked if they needed anything else, answer was no. Asked how the evening was, not much in reply.
Wished them a safe ride home, and I thought that was the end....what a surprise!

I have checked all the robes, Ralph Lauren would have his feelings hurt!
Checked all the lace curtains and yes the ones in 5 and 6 had absorbed sill stain from the windows being left open and the rain coming in, so they were replaced.
I can't explain the mail, but would have liked to know.

I guess what it comes down to is one persons friendliness is another's nosiness, one person's respect for privacy is another's coolness, one person's soft, comfy robe is anothers old ratty thing, one person's lovely room with freshly ironed sheets, egyptian cotton towels (organic dyes), fresh flowers, is another person's dirty room.

Make no mistake, bad reviews hurt, they stay with you for a long time but sometimes you just have to look back and realize there was nothing that you could do and try to learn from the experience. Opening the door to a guest at an Inn is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Luckily it is usually a wonderful sweet experience for all but sometimes, well, it's hard center!

I still think if the reviewer had spoken up we could all have had a sweet experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe), PA
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast
Hill Home Forge
Hill Home Forge
#3 of 17 in Jim Thorpe
The Inn at Birch Wilds
The Inn at Birch Wilds
#1 of 3 in Lehighton

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!