“fabulous”

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“fabulous”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It is a definite to see. Lived in the area all my life and finally got over to check out the jail. Great history to be learned, and very fascinating facts. Then walk the downtown and take a train ride.. Great day trip..

Visited August 2012
1 Thank KsB1986

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I want to say right away: the tour guide will MAKE OR BREAK your visit here. I had a really passionate and enthusiastic tour guide that seemed very experienced. When I asked, she said she had been there for 4 years, and it showed. Very good speaker, friendly, knowledgeable, and funny too!! After the tour is over, you can spend time exploring the building on your own, and I overheard another tour while I was walking around... each tour guide's tour can be very different. I stayed for a while to listen to another guide talk, and they'll even mention different things and frame information in different ways. If your tour guide isn't very good, you can probably ask another one questions, there are several in the building at once.

The building is very interesting. The story behind the Molly Maguires and the handprint is fascinating. The dungeon is really creepy. All of the workers were very pleasant. The tour might be boring if history isn't interesting to you. Overall, I enjoyed my visit quite a bit.

Visited July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Halloween and Regular tour was unique”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We went both on Halloween and during their regular tours in the Summer. A neat place to check out. I wanted more for my halloween tour but there probably wasn't much more to show us without use of our own imagination. They really try to push the hand print on the wall to the max but it does give you something to contemplate.

Visited May 2013
Raleigh
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Change the pee-pee bucket!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

It costs $5 to enter (July 2013). They are considerate and have you wait in an air-conditioned room. I feared it might be a boring tour, but it wasn't. Everything the tour guide said was interesting, and it wasn't too long. I hate when they have you stand there forever until your back starts to hurt. Our tour guide didn't do this. She showed us the cell blocks, the bathrooms that the warden used, the cells, the gallows with the hanging ropes (yeeks!), and the solitary confinement cells in the basement. They had the prisoners stay there for up to two weeks in 90 degrees (with the heaters down there), with one bucket as their, ahh... "washroom", and they didn't change or clean the bucket for their entire stay. Ewwwwww! Enough to make me law abiding. Anyway, the prisoners also ate cheerio's.

Visited July 2013
Wooler, Ontario, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Gallows and a ghostly hand print!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Who knew we'd ever have the chance to tour an old jail and see how the warden and his family lived, as well as the inmates! But we're glad we didn't have to live there ... in either category! This is a lovely old building with some great stories and the tour is really entertaining. Highly recommended! The town itself is lovely! Ron & Nancy, Ontario CANADA

Visited August 2012