“Always worth the trip”

Blue Mountain Sports & Wear
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Bike Rentals We rent top quality, well maintained mountain bikes from Specialized. Our fleet includes just the right bike for you ... choose from 24-speed, front suspension, kids, and "comfort" styles. There are many trails to choose from. Family style rails-to-trails along The Lehigh Gorge to the technical single-track and descent of Twin Peaks. Shuttle Services Let us take the hard work out of biking. Our shuttle service can drop you off at the top of the trail where you will ride along a gentle downhill back to our shop. Shuttles are provided to The Lehigh Gorge (15,25 or 35 miles) and The Switchback Trail (9 miles), which passes right by Mauch Chunk Lake. For your safety, our experienced shuttle drivers will give a bike clinic before you embark on your ride. Kayaking on the Lehigh River - Start your trip across the street using "Sit on Top Kayaks" 12:00 and be picked up in Bowmanstown 4:30 - 5:00 for return trip to Jim Thorpe. $59.99 per person (minimum 2) includes: boat, paddle, vest, helmet, and water proof cell phone container. Please be here by Noon.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Phoenixville, PA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Always worth the trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Kind of confused by reviews here. This is our fifth trip with Blue Mountain. We have rented their bikes and taken our own. We have always found the staff in the store to be polite and pleasant....not necessarily phony smiles and fake happy....but competent. Personally, I like this. These are real people. No one hiding behind a plastic smile. The driver and owner, Tom, is quite another story. We have found him to he engaging, affable, and competent. Times when we did not leave on time were due to guests running late and them holding the shuttle for them. This past time we left right on time. We rented one of the comfort bikes which were easier on our bodies than the mountain bikes, although nowhere near as comfortable as our own hybrids which we opted not to take this time because we suspected that the trail would be wet. We were correct. We ended up doing the 25 mile trip from Whitehaven. The Kevlar tires with slime in the tubes made us feel secure since we did not have a backup tube. We have gone with their competitors in years past and highly recommend Blue Mountain. We have no affiliation with these folks. We just think they do a fine job and have decent equipment and an okay price. Would be interested to hear if that was not another person's experience.

Visited June 2014

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Grinch who stole Christmas (pre-redemption) would be proud”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went into the store with my wife and daughter the day before Christmas and was given the cold shoulder by the clerk (red-headed guy). No acknowledgment of our presence, much less any semblance of holiday warmth. Was actually interested in making some purchases but so totally turned off by this fellow's vibe I decided to take my money elsewhere. I'll try and give them another shot the next time I'm in town and will hope for a better experience.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Greg3802
Brick, New Jersey
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great bike rental”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We rented bikes from Blue Mountain and were taken by van 15 miles up the gorge, and dropped off. Decent price and on-time trip.
The bikes were in great shape. They not only have Kevlar tires, but are filled with a stop leak substance so there isn't any way you'll get a flat so far up the gorge.
The people that work there are very pleasant, and helpful.
We got some good deals on clothing and even ended up purchasing two bikes.
Definitely recommended.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank MuscleGeek
Raleigh
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Apathetic manager + clerks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Wow, what apathy! Teenage girls work here, and a dark-haired middle-aged female manager who could care less if you're safe, or if you have a good time. The teenage girls can't wait to get off work and go to their dates as they answer your questions as blandly as they can. The manager acts like you're doing her a huge favor renting her bikes, and tells you if you don't return the 2 used bikes or 2 helmuts, they'll charge you $1000 on your credit card. No lie. She never smiled, wished us a good trip, but instead, ordered us out of the store to wait for the driver, who was late. He couldn't find his keys. She did not tell us when he was coming. We had to pry this info out of her, and she was not happy telling us, for some reason.

The driver was real nice and friendly as he shuttled us and our bikes up to the mountain. He went out of his way to show us a cool cave.

Bike ride was okay. It's flat, NOT downhill, not at ALL. Had to peddle on and on for 15 miles. Good exercise, I suppose. To be honest, I was a little bored. Then again, I was spoiled on the Virginia Creeper Trail, which is phenomenal.

Returned. A truck almost ran my friend off the road. When she told the teenage girl inside, she yawned. I realized I never got my receipt that I paid for with my credit card (WAY over-priced, over $40) (Creeper Trail was $26 and TONS better), and I got no apologies. More yawns. When we left, there was no "did you have fun?" or "come again." Just yawns.

Hey, Blue Mountain, sorry your customers bore and annoy you! Don't worry, we won't be back.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank JodyPony
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Took my husbands old Trek there to have it packed for shipping (Afghanistan) after taking it somewhere else where they told me the bike was junk and not to bother. Unfortunately I do not remember his name but he was so nice and really complimented and respected the bike and how great it looked after so many years of use. He got it tunned up and did everything he could to make sure my husband wouldn't have any problems with it. My husband got his bike and I will say that any work I need done, I will go to Blue Mountain Sports.

Visited May 2013