“Good trip, only one really bad spot”
Review of Pocono Whitewater

Pocono Whitewater
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: There’s something fun here at Pocono Whitewater for every level of adventurer! Choose from our family style rafting, our Dam Release Gorge rafting, and our multiple combination trips. Try our most popular adventure: The Big Day Out! In addition to whitewater rafting, we also specialize in Pocono Biking and Skirmish Paintball! Visit our website today and plan your trip to the Pocono Mountains!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Good trip, only one really bad spot”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was a fun trip down the river. Be aware that you will be on a 4 -6 person raft, but there is no guide in the boat with you. You will get instruction before the trip on how to steer. There are guides in kayaks that are in the river with the rafts to show you where to go. Near the beginning, there was a bad spot with a really big rock and small fall over it, that you want to watch for! Your team may not have steering down that soon, so ask the guides before you launch. Other than that, it was just some nice rapids with the bumps from those to deal with. Try to get a good captain to steer and guide, boating experience a plus here! The picnic lunch half way through was a nice respite. For those of us over 50, it was a workout, but worthwhile adventure. There are pictures for sale of your boat at the first rapids/big rock. You start at the office address and after the instructions, you board buses to take you into downtown Jim Thorp and the river. At the extraction point, the buses pick you up again. There are water shoes and other items for sale at the office location, as well as food and drinks. It was a good, tiring day out!

2 Thank wrightfamilyfm

• Arabic first
Havertown, Pennsylvania
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Fun day on the river”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Went out with a group of 9 people for a more adventurous time and had a group of 4 on the family rafting. We tried to meet up at the end (2:15 end time for rafting and 3 end time for family)so there was an overlap of 45 minutes in the end. When I called to arrange the trip, the staff there helped me accomplish this goal. The water was great and the guides, Sam, Otto, and I think Jordan were awesome with the group of 9. My family of 4 said it was awesome and the guides were awesome. We have used them in the past and had fun courteous service. The place was clean and moved the people through quickly, organized and without a hitch. We have white water rafted on the Leigh for the past 5 years and had a blast. This outfit is our favorite because of the staff.

Visited August 2014
Wilmington, Delaware
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fun but Crowed”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I took the Family trip 26 July. This was my wife's first time rafting. The trip was great, however there was too much stopping. With over 25 rafts and more than 100 people the 4 guides had a real challenge with such a large group. They would give instructions but it was impossible to hear. One of the guides had ride in someone's raft so really 3 were available to 'herd' the group. A women fell in and fellow rafters had to help her. Even with the stopping it was fun. They do a very nice job with the lunch that is provided - hotdogs. Next time we will opt for something a little more serious and hopefully a smaller group.

Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Fun but not easy”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

2 adults and 3 teens....it wasn't easy for us but we had fun. The water was low so we has to paddle more. Friendly and fun Sam was a helpful guide. There was serious Sam the other guide who was all business. Our kids had a great time swimming and navigating the rapids and using the buckets and water guns. The lunch was basic hot dog potato salad apples and chips. Clean and saf fun.

1 Thank DWS13433
Old Bridge, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Prolonged Damn Release Whitewater”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My first time going whitewater rafting was with my boyfriend in Costa Rica where we also did Class II - III. Compared to Pocono whitewater, Costa Rica gave you detailed instructions (wear to keep your feet, proper posture to maintain balance and stability, how to paddle forward and reverse, not to hold the paddle, etc.), there was a guide on each raft instructing you where to go, you only made on stop for lunch (not 1 stop every damn mile), and ohh most importantly, if you fell in the water a guide actually rescued you. Although I did not fall out of the boat in CR (my tour guide was able to pull me back by my vest) at PW 4-5 boats passed me by and not one guide was even remotely aware I was in the water. A group of men thankfully reeled me in when I latched onto their paddle and I was good to go there on.

We chose this activity because we had assumed it would be more adventurous compared to the family-friendly one, however I'm quite confused if there is any real difference at all.

I think this company is in 200% for the money hence the group of 20-30 boats you travel with and a measly 4 guides who do nothing but yell at you for not going in the right direction.

Pretty view, I guess fun for first timers if you have patience.

Best advice: pack food and plan for your entire day to be spent here (especially if another boat is stuck, you will wait at least 45 minutes as we had to for them to regroup)