“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pocono Whitewater

Pocono Whitewater
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: There’s something fun here at Pocono Whitewater for every level of adventurer! Choose from our family style rafting, our Dam Release Gorge rafting, and our multiple combination trips. Try our most popular adventure, the Big Day Out, and our newest specialty trip, the Big Night Out! In addition to whitewater rafting, we also specialize in Pocono Biking and Skirmish Paintball! Visit our website today and plan your trip to the Pocono Mountains!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Newburgh, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I went July 4th weekend with a group of guys. We split up into two rafts. We bought sandwiches before we got there so we wouldn't have to buy their lunches. Before you board the bus to take you to the river there is a "crash course" on white water rafting. This was done outdoors. There were two sections for the tutorial, one shaded and one in the blistering hot sun. Guess which one we were in. Normally this wouldn't be an issue. But on this guy's weekend we drank a little too much the night before so the sun coupled with the personal floatation device strapped tightly on was not a good combo. Curt the guide kept the lesson "brief" but it turned out to be more along the lines of 30mins. We grab a 5 gallon storage/trash bucket and a bailing bucket along with a paddle and get on the bus. The bus driver expertly navigates through dense Pennsylvanian forest along tiny roads inches from a cliffside. Once we get out of the bus we are told there is a short walk to the water. I lost track of my pace count so I don't have an exact measurement but it was a good 12-15min walk. You are lined up and start getting rafts into water. (This is time consuming. Our group was over 100 people.) This is great. I'm dehydrated, exhausted, fighting the urge to either vomit or poop myself (I can't blame anyone other than me for my late night boozing, but you should know how I feel) so getting into the cool water should be refreshing. It's not! The water you get into is a small mountain creek that comes up to your thigh. It is frigid. Navigating your raft along this narrow creek is difficult. We get to the river and board up. Finally! After about an hour and half we are finally going to hit the rapids! The water at first is easy paced. Then you hit some easy rapids. I was having a great time! But shortly after they pull all the boats over. Curt explains the next set of rapids to us. The directions are difficult to hear depending on where you are in relation to him. Also the directions are easy enough to follow, but in the excitement of rafting they are easily lost once you hit the first set of rapids. But as long as you follow the boat in front of you then it's ok (granted they listened and retained the information). The rafting is exciting. The cool water splashing on you is refreshing. The frequent stops is frustrating. I was excited to get out of the raft and swim a bit. When we got to a slow part of the river the guides said we could get out. The second you get in the water it is time to get back in. After a couple of hours you pull over for lunch. Great! I'm starving! The 5 gallon bucket closed tightly still managed to fill with river water. Pass on river water turkey sandwich. When we stopped for lunch we had completed about 7 1/2 miles. Only 5 to go. The second leg has more challenging and exciting rapids. If the second leg of the rafting was the whole excursion I believe it would be an AMAZING trip! You finish your time on the Lehigh river and head back to base. Curt gave us an interesting lesson on Jim Thorpe. I arrived at 10:30 in the morning and got back to my car at 5:30PM. I was lead to believe that the whole rafting package was around 4 hours. The guides were great and friendly and once you hit the rapids it is a lot of fun. But the long lesson, long walk, and frequent stops are a pain. I would like to try white water rafting again but would most likely try another organization to see how they run their show. I would reccommend Pocono Whitewater for those looking for a full day event.

1 Thank Read H

• Arabic first
Shepherdsville, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Guided trip? Ugh NO! We had to hike 2.5 miles down hill on rocks to get our own raft, walk through a freezing cold creek while trying to carry our raft over big slippery rocks to put in.
There were 3 guides in 3 kayaks (not on the rafts with us) looking after 27 rafts. We were experienced and luckily had no problem. The other rafters were new and kept getting stuck. Worse part of all...NOT REQUIRED TO WEAR HELMETS IN CLASS II-III RAPIDS!
They actually asked us to take our helmets off so as to not confuse us for guides...we said NO!
Asked one of the guides what route to take on one of the rapids...he said "pray"...
We had words with the operations manager...he was nice but wow these people are doomed if someone gets hurt especially without a helmet in those rocks!
Oh and the rafts were NONE self bailing so we had to use a bucket to drain our boat.
Four people at 67.00 each? Next time we try Jim Thorpe ....or another company we research first!
No mention of the hike down to the takeout! Not worried about safety!
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

3 Thank Angie M
Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Big Day Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Absolutely awesome day from 8:30 a.m breakfast until 6:30 delicious dinner and everything in between. Friendly staff and excellent guides for a fun filled day. We were bussed to White Haven where we chose a comfortable bike for the 25 mile ride along the scenic Lehigh. Photo op at beautiful Buttermilk Falls. Pulled onto a beach and had a generous lunch before the 2 mile hike. The reward was an 11 mile whitewater rafting trip where we could get out and swim. A PERFECT day. Thank you PW for great organization and thanks for our fantastic guides!!

NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Big Day Out Rocked”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Did the July 4th Big Day Out - 22 mile bike, 2 mile hike, 11 mile raft = super fun day

Bike was on a 2% downhill so easy riding, with a stop along the way for photos near a waterfall.
Hike was pretty short but amusing. Walked through a tunnel with abandoned railroad tracks.
Raft was fun but more of a float than white water rafting. Best part though.

Guides were great - amusing, organized, and kept the energy going. Had a guide up front for the faster folks like us and another guide in the back.

1 Thank NRB6
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Neither my husband nor I had ever been white water rafting before...it was a blast! We did the class three rapids. The trip leader and crew were fantastic : funny, informative, helpful and friendly. We were paired up with 2 other couples for our raft and set out. They have lunches you can buy for $8 that include a hoagie, bottle of water, cookies and chex mix. My husband got one of those and I brought my own lunch. We stored everything in a bucket on the raft and it all stayed pretty dry...we, on the other hand were soaked through! Lots of water fights in the calmer sections and tons of fun on the rapids. Having never been in white water before we were a little nervous doing the more advanced trip but it was crazy fun and at no point scary. We're already planning to come back next summer with friends.