“Fantastic Time!!”
Review of Pocono Whitewater

Pocono Whitewater
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: There’s something fun here at Pocono Whitewater for every level of adventurer! Choose from our family style rafting, our Dam Release Gorge rafting, and our multiple combination trips. Try our most popular adventure: The Big Day Out! In addition to whitewater rafting, we also specialize in Pocono Biking and Skirmish Paintball! Visit our website today and plan your trip to the Pocono Mountains!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic Time!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was my second time going to Pocono Whitewater, and my entire family had a fantastic time. We went in July of this year during the "freak week" where temperatures topped the 70's and it was rainy. Being on a camping trip in this weather and especially the thought of rafting on a cold (low 70's the high) and rainy day was not appealing. Initially we thought about postponing our trip and were pleased to find out that Pocono Whitewater would give us credit to come put another day if we chose to. Once we got there, we found out about wetsuit rentals for adults and children alike and decided to get one given the weather. The wetsuits kept us so warm and comfortable that we were even able to swim in the water during our rafting trip with no problem. The wetsuits reasonably priced. The fun part about the family style rafting trips is that there are other rafters out there that we got to have water fights with using the water buckets they provided us to throw water on each other. There is also waterguns that can be rented for $10. In addition, because there were more than 10 of us in our group, we received a coupon for a free rafting or paintball day (1 coupon). Our guides were with us the entire time and were friendly and highly knowledgeable. The best part was the bonus riverside bbq that we got midway during the trip. We had a fantastic time rafting, just go with people who would not be easily upset if they are not initially catching up to rafting. With the guides help and people with positive attitudes, you will easily catch on and have a blast!! Pocono Whitewater was such a blast that I am definitely doing this yearly and may even do it in spring time as well due to the wetsuits. We shall see:)

• Arabic first
West Palm Beach
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money if you are a serious rafter!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This raft trip was a joke! I am not the type who just nit picks about things but in this case, this was a total waste of money. It may have been a fluke the day we went, but there were over 100 or more people going on this trip. The majority were from China and India who must have been on some type of tour. So there were over 30 rafts which had to go down the river together. Looking back I should have known something wouldn't be good if when my husband asked if my 8 year would need a helmet and the guide just kind of smirked and said that he wouldn't be needing that, that was our first clue that this was going to be bad.
Anyway, this was more like a float trip, with few very small rapids thrown in. To top it off, the trip includes small buckets which you can take out to splash each other. This thing turned out to be a splashfest, with most of these people mentioned above, just lagging behind to splash each other. What really sucked was that the guide would stop us after each 'whitewater' session to wait up for the ones goofing off in the very back of the trip. What would have normally taken about 1, maybe 1 1/2 hours, ended up taking close to 6 hours!!!!! UGH! And the splashing got really annoying. One kid, a total stranger, threw a bucket of water right in my husband's face, totally out of the blue. It totally shocked my husband. I gave the kid the death stare and told him to not even think about doing that to me! I'm a 50 year old woman, who has traveled extensively and wouldn't mind becoming wet if I fell in while rafting or getting wet from paddling or the whitewater, but would not appreciate getting inundated with water from a total stranger with no sense of civility or manners. Anyway, this trip also included a so called 'lunch'....dried up hot dogs, potato salad from a plastic container, some chips, and apples and oranges from a box. You're better off bringing your own lunch.
To make matters worse, there were intermittent torrential downpours (the rain wasn't the tour operators fault of course!) which pelted us while we 'waited' for the slackers in the back to catch up to us. The guide would not let us go on ahead so we had to sit there in the cold rain like idiots. I asked the guide if there was a more challenging raft trip where you didn't have to wait all the time and she said that there was, but we were never offered that when we bought our tickets in the office. I guess they saw my 8 year old and figured he couldn't handle anything more rigorous (which my son could have done this trip in his own kayak...he is athletic and has had some kayaking experience before) so all in all, this trip was not good for us. We are used to something more serious. The guides themselves were nice and were only doing what they had been told to do, so I'm not faulting them, but this trip was hyped up waaaay too much and they should warn you ahead of time that you'll be spending most of your time waiting, with a little rafting thrown in. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone....unless you just want to hop on a raft and splash each other for about 6 hours while floating down a river.

3 Thank Rachelleone
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I want to be a guide!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was so nervous going on this trip. I had been rafting before in Tennessee and it was fun but only I and II rapids. When I signed up for this and realized it was level III I went crazy looking for reviews since I was bringing my 8 and 10 yr old along. I wanted to make sure that they would be safe. There were some bad reviews which made me even more nervous but then there were some great reviews. I decided that I would actually go and check it out and worse case scenario I would bag it if I thought it was unsafe or if I thought the guides were as bad as some reviews. I am so glad that I went. Despite the thunder, lightning and pouring rain (several t-storms througout the day) it was an amazing experience. The guides, especially the leader Scott, were awesome. We got stuck a couple times and they happily helped us out. My kids LOVED it. There were a total of 17 of us and only one niece who was 10 and has a fear of t-storms did not like it. I think if it was a sunny day she would have been ok.

It is a long day. It takes awhile to get from sign up to actually getting on the river. Know this ahead of time and make it part of the whole experience. The only negative, other than the weather, was that my older son and his group got a raft with a hole in it. When he told the girl, she said it will be fine. Turned out to be a bigger hole than they thought and the whole group (about 20 rafts) had to wait on the river for about 20 minutes while they got a new raft. Most of us waiting had fun throwing water on each other and trying to make the best of it but it could have been avoided had they listened when he first told them.

Make sure food is in zip lock bags and don't bring anything you do not want to lose. I did not see any rafts overturn but I did see a few people end up in the water!

Awesome trip, I will be back for sure! As a matter of fact I joked with my husband that I loved it so much that I'm going to apply for a guide job!

Dunmore, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“White Water Rafting”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

A group of us (27 people total) went on a rafting adventure on Sunday, July 22, 2012. We had a fantastic time. The experience went flawlessly from check in, to getting our life vests, to our "river orientation" and floating down stream. Our river guides were knowledgable, approachable, funny and very helpful. The rafts were clean and in good repair and the river was full of water and loads of fun. I would definitely recommend this rafting company and I would go again.

Bowie, Maryland
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Water Logged!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Loved it...bring towels and leave them on the bus. Bring a water proof camera and bottles of water!

2 Thank Just_Me_Bernie