“A full day of family team-building fun....”

Jim Thorpe River Adventures
Baltimore, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A full day of family team-building fun....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

When our family of two teens, two adults, arrived, we found out we were too early. We were were given paper work to sign in and directed to a local eatery to buy a lunch. Originally, we brought snacks, but were advised that the time out on the river would be around four hours. However, hot dogs, beverages, are provided for free at the end of the day.

The time rafting could have went wrong, but the guides helped so much. The problem with family-rafting is people of very different athletic ability, and strength, have to find a way to steer the raft without it going too far off course. Every time my husband would paddle, he would cause us to go to one side. We tried my teens in the front, diagonal, etc. The guides were so patient, and helpful. Several times, we had to be pulled off rocks. As a teacher, I really appreciated their style. One of the guides would observe us, give some pointers, then let us work. It was just like what a great teacher would do. Teach, and then let the kid work, then observe and help. I would say that alone was so very awesome. The guides were so nice, humorous, and helpful. The owner even came over to help. During the second half of the day, because of the guides, and a lot of work, we were able to figure out a method. My husband would just steer us, but we would row. It worked out great. I can't say enough about how the guides were so helpful. Also, it looks crowded, but the river is big. Even bumping into to each other, once in a while, we had enough room.

I would say that this is a kind of an all-day activity. Be prepared to have a relaxing, full day, from check-in to the the end of the trip, when hot dogs are served. You will be tired, but the scenery, and the atmosphere is very mindful of days at summer camp. The trip back and forth to the river even included a school bus. Yes, just like you remember. I would highly recommend Jim Thorpe River Adventures.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Questsci

Trumbull, Connecticut
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Tremendous Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

My friend and I had a blast, and with approximately five hours on the river, this trip is also a good value for the price. Unlike some other, similar, rafting outfits, there is not a guide placed in every raft, which we viewed as a positive in that it added to the sense of adventure. The guides who did accompany our floatilla did so in kayaks and were universally positive, supportive and helpful. My only criticisms would be the failure to provide helmets - several members of our raft were tossed overboard during the course of the trip - and the long delay leading up to putting in the river. For our 12:00pm reservation we did not get into the rafts until after 2:00pm. My sense was that this company accepts a large number of bookings for each time slot, and the unwieldy size of each group inevitably leads to a slowdown in the pre-rafting process.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Constructive_Summer
Baltimore, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Fun fun fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was a blast. With the waiting, safety lecture, and bus trip to the start, we didn't get onto the river until 2:00 for our 11:20 raft trip. But it lasted almost five hours and was well worth it. Most of us were a bit apprehensive during the safety lecture, but by the end of the trip, we were pushing each other off the raft: it's very safe. Compared with West Virginia's challenging rivers, the Lehigh is pretty tame, but it's still exciting. Our Memorial Day group had about 20 rafts, each with 4-8 people, but the overcrowding did not detract from the experience at all; bumping into other rafts is kind of fun. While you get a certain satisfaction from successfully maneuvering around obstacles, I actually think the less competent you are, the more fun you have, being buffeted by the rapids in unpredictable directions. We didn't see any of the animals described in their promotions, or any pretty flowers -- it's endless green punctuated by the orange of the rafts -- but the scenery is breathtaking. The optional $8 sub from Tommy's was mediocre, and I envied those who brought their own fresh fruit.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank hazelnutandlizzie
New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Had lots of fun!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were a group of 13 friends and went with Jim Thorpe River adventures for white water rafting. We went on weekend when it rained full week so there were many rapids. Our experience was wonderful. We loved it! It was real fun.

We started early morning because we took 8AM trip. From their parking lot, they take you in a bus. There are usually 4/5/6 people in a raft. There were total 18 rafts in our group. The guides were nice and helpful. The total length was around 12-13 miles and there were class 3 rapids. We took 2 breaks in between. We were back to parking lot by 3PM.

I would recommend this company to anyone. Our friends who have done it earlier with recommended us Jim Thorpe River Adventures.

I have one suggestion though - they should provide helmet. Other companies in that area also do not provide helmet. But if someone falls in the river which has rocks it could be dangerous.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank iluvtravel28
Evergreen, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great day on the river!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Fun river trip in small (5-6) person rafts. Nice class II and III rapids. Great guides and very well organized. We had a blast!

Visited August 2011