“pricey but worth every penny”
Review of Wheel - CLOSED

Wheel
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2013

here is very trendy and relaxing and very well appointed. The food is simply amazing and it's very obvious that this show is not only well trained but highly creative. Totally recommend it

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Jim Thorpe to celebrate our 2nd anniversary and we'd tried Moya before - which was very good,but wanted to try something different. Luckily I made reservations ahead of time because It's not a big place and is very busy on the weekends, especially this time of year. We started off with the baked stuffed jalapeno clams which were outta this world good. My husband then got shrimp bisque which was also incredible - full of shrimp and delicious flavors but not so rich that you could only eat a few mouthfuls. For entrees I had trout almondine and my husband got seafood fra diavolo - both were delicious. His had huge sea scallops, shrimp and pieces of lobster in it, mine was cooked perfectly served with amazing mashed potatoes topped with cheese and sauteed veggies. For desert we had the new Orleans style bread pudding with fried bananas - also to die for. It is expensive but well worth every penny - not only was the food delectable but it was also presented very artfully and the decor, seating n soft jazz created a cozy atmosphere where you could easily talk to each other and not feel like you were on top of other diners. Highly recommend. We are seriously considering just driving the hour and 15 min for dinner - its that good!

1  Thank rikster29
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

To start my husband and I fell upon this gem by chance. The atmosphere was awesome, decor very eclectic. Food was amazing with one exception, I was disappointed that there was fat and skin on my chicken breast. But that aside. ..pasta with vodka sauce was amazing and avocado chicken was great ! Service was excellent! Don't turn away if nothing catches you from the base menu because there were tons of specials.
The only other thing that was slightly disappointing was the very limited selection of beer and beverages.

1  Thank m_schmidt42
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This little gourmet restaurant in Jim Thorpe ranks right at the top. We had never been to Jim Thorpe, and didn't know where to have dinner. We checked out some websites and called The Wheel. The owner, Tom spoke with my wife and she asked him some questions, liked his answers, and asked for a nice table near the front for the next evening. What a pleasant fellow.
So we arrived on time (parking is a bit tough, so allow for walking a few minutes), and sure enough, we had a table right in front. Now let me say that the décor is 'early attic', and has a bunch of antique wheels (OK, it's The Wheel, right?), but it has a very warm atmosphere. Reminded us of the Wright brothers bicycle shop.
We started with spicy stuffed clams. Wow were they good. Then we had our entrees, and they were great, too. While the menu is small, there were a number of specials, which we ordered. I had the rack of lamb. The waiter was very friendly, too.
Only one complaint. He had no Johnny Walker, so we tried his single malt which was good, but not what we wanted.
We will be back in Jim Thorpe next year, but when we make our reservation we will tell him we need Johnny Walker. If he doesn't want to buy it, we'll take our own, but somehow I don't think he will make the same mistake twice. Even a small local bar had JW Black.

1  Thank NJBeachCouple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We live near Jim Thorpe and go out every weekend and were looking for a new place to eat. The Wheel looked like it had a nice menu and unique atmosphere. I called for reservations for a Sunday evening and upon mentioning I had a young child...I heard...."I'm sorry, we don't accommodate young children - it's not a good fit". Wow!, no mention of a better time to come or a warning that we need to keep our child quiet. I guess this is great news if you're a childless couple that hates the shriek of a young child! For me, I will tell others not to patronize this place for there lack of consideration.

7  Thank Karen M