“butterfly sanctuary”

Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary
Ranked #6 of 25 things to do in Jim Thorpe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed until May 27, 2017 Please see the Bear Mountain Butterfly Website for information on dates and events for 2017.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Orlando, Florida
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“butterfly sanctuary”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Fun little video and was neat to see the frogs. The butterfly exhibit was pretty limited. We were done in under 10 minutes (one small room) and had talked with the young guy working there about all that they had. The opening movie was nice and you should see it if you go. I wouldn't drive out of my way to do this one. Nice people, just too limited in what there was to see and do. Pretty much set up for young children who would likely enjoy it (simple crafts, etc)

Visited June 2013

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Family Fun”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had six in our party....2 senior citizens, 3 older adults and 1 almost adult. We really enjoyed ourselves. This is not a high-tech experience, however if you want to spend an enjoyable 90 minutes with knowledgeable and caring staff while getting to know more about butterflies....this is the place to be. We will bring other people to this cute little attraction.

Visited May 2013
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonfer-full”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stopped by the sanctuary by chance on our way to my aunts condo. Immediately upon entering we met the owner, who gave us our tickets and explained what events take place in each room. They have a beautiful array of butterflies and ultra knowledgeable staff. We fed and held butterflies and moths (they have beautiful Luna Moths on site). Ask T.J. about the moths. He was really helpful. My three year old lit up. She was so excited!
They also have a movie they show that was very informative. Another really neat thing is that the show the butterflies and moths in each stage of metamorphosis. They have huge and beautiful caterpillars that they have available to show the children. The owner also does crafts with the kids, which is a nice addition.
On site also, are poison dart frogs and a really cool tarantula. They are small exhibits, but they really aren't the focus of the facility. There is something here for everyone (Adults and children, photographers and sight seers). We will be going back. Thank you Butterfly Sanctuary!!!

1 Thank cgrey09
Mari G, Owner at Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit so much, that's our #1 goal. Well, actually, my staff and I enjoy being there too. We are passionate about it in fact. Thanks for allowing us to share all that we have to offer. We are almost finished for this season but have some fun new plans for 2013. Visit us again please.
Youngstown, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Neat little place”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I stopped here for something to do on a rainy day. It's a small place, but the workers are very dedicated and eager to share their knowledge and love for these creatures. We had fun getting up close and personal with the butterflies, trying to see how many we could hold at one time. There were several children in the room with us and they were having a ball. It's a neat stop if you're on your way somewhere else or if you need some entertainment on a rainy day.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank TrishaRaeKay
Mari G, Owner at Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks, we do love to be the first butterfly experience for the little ones and want to remind everyone that we can "teach" to any age and level of interest. We DO care about the creature , in fact, we are down-right passionate about it. We want kids to be comfortable playing outside, understand the important relationships we have with insects and other sharers of the earth.. If you come on a non-rainy day, the outside gardens are loaded with flying treasures.
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“nice place for small kids”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Visited today with our two grandkids ages 2 and 4 1/2. Though a nice little place to visit, we had to pay $7 each (adult) to get in plus $6 for the oldest child. I was a little disappointed in the cost. That was almost $21. The butterfly sectioin is only one big room which can get a little crowded. But the kids liked it and that is what counts since we drove almost an hour to get there. It kept their attention. I would say this is mainly for children under 10. There's a s,mall gift shop with reasonable items, plus a craft section. The kids enjoyed that too. Outside there are picnic talbles. The place is isolated to bring FOOD. I packed a lunch and glad I did as no food available. The staff was friendly. I assume it is famiy owned so family oriented. I would take the kids there again, though for us a long drive. It did hold their attention. I gave it only 4 stars due to what I thought was a high price.

Visited August 2012