“I paid double price for bad coffee”
Review of Strange Brew

Strange Brew
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had a really great day in Jim Thorpe, right up to our visit to Strange Brew. The blonde crop-cut girl behind the counter seemed more interested in chatting with her friends than in helping customers. She didn't ring us up, just told us it would be $5. I handed her a $10, and I thought she had given the change to my wife. Turns out she kept the change. I'm not sure if she's stealing from the till, or just short-changing customers, but either is less than good. To top it off, the coffee was obviously old and oily/bitter. Stay away at all costs.

8  Thank russweasel

Reviewed May 22, 2011

This place looks really cool and the atmosphere is awesome. However, the guy behind the counter was really rude. I am not sure is he is the owner or not. I would think twice about going there again because they certainly do not appreciate the business.

4  Thank mwarman704
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I read the comments about the "rude" staff. I spend quite a bit of time in Jim Thorpe and notice more rude visitors than locals. Strange Brew has the best coffee for miles. The atmosphere is relaxed and fun. If you don't walk in and order like you're at a Starbucks, you'll be fine. Sit an chat with the owner for a few minutes, and you may change your tune. No matter, what, it's still the best coffee for miles.

3  Thank TracyU0118
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Strange Brew seems very promising from the outside. And even once your inside it seems like a great place. But as soon as you deal with the owner(?) you quickly realize how bad this place is. This is the 2nd year in a row that we went in Strange Brew and got BAD service. The staff is rude. Both years we were there, he complained about not having enough CHANGE in the register. He was angry at me because we did not have exact change. Keep in mind, both times we were there, it was the Jim Thorpe St. Patrick's Day parade. Probably the busiest day in the town. When my wife ordered a latte with sugar free syrup, skim milk and no whipped cream, this guy made fun of her! He said she wasn't a real coffee drinker! Then the coffee is finally ready and it's freezing cold. After we left, we returned a few hours later to use his restroom. The door was locked and he YELLED at US because earlier in the day someone had broken his sink and he wasn't letting anyone else use the restroom. Regardless of the level of talent that plays at the open mic night, this place is horrible. Go buy coffee somewhere else.

8  Thank lennon67
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Obviously the other reviewers had bad experiences at Strange Brew. But I've had some really nice ones there and I thought the record could use a little correcting. On Thursday nights, they host a wonderful open mic that brings some of the region's most talented musicians, poets and singers together. It's really fun. On other days, the place is surely one of the coziest around and the coffee is great. Hope the disgruntled will try again because it has some assets they might discover on a second trip.

1  Thank Localscribbler