“We will be back again”
Review of RJ's Diner - CLOSED

RJ's Diner
Description: RJ's diner provides delicious fish and chips and the best homemade flame grilled burgers on the Central Coast. Eat in or takeaway. We have delicious specials on daily which include chilli lime prawns and salt and pepper squid.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We will be back again”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We ordered a burger with the lot $14 and the daily special $10 flathead and chips to take away. The place was packed with hungry customers for lunch. Although we had to wait a bit longer for our meals, we were suitably impressed with the quality of our food. It was a perfect burger, every element was fresh and well cooked. The fish pieces were light and crunchy.

We will be back for more!

• Visited April 2014
roxy_uk26, Owner at RJ's Diner, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again soon.

“Second visit blues”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Having eaten here before and loving it, I was hanging out to have it again.
Unfortunately this time around there were a couple of things that took the shine off my dining experience.
Most of it came down to what I saw while meals were getting cooked, like one cook coughing into her hand and not washing them, one of them taking rubbish out to the bins then returning to cook and not washing hands, handling money from the registers then again returning to cook without washing hands. I know this probably happens in most food places, but when you have an open kitchen I think you have to be a little bit more disciplined.
While the burgers were again pretty good another thing that disappointed me was the use of Coles home brand burger buns. Being recognised for having the best burgers I would have thought a better quality bun would have been used.

Had I not witnessed all these things I would have happily returned here again, but with those images still there I might have to find another burger on the coast.

• Visited March 2014
roxy_uk26, Owner at RJ's Diner, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you for your positive critiquing. We take this information seriously and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. For the first time in 2 years Ryan and I (owners and Ryan who is also head chef) went away for the weekend you observed the above. We are appalled at what you had to see. It is not how we practice managing a kitchen. One of our junior staff who is 16 years old is still learning how a kitchen needs to be ran. Both her and our other staff member come from hardship and in our diner we take on adolescents from troubled backgrounds to help teach them life and educational skills. We want to provide opportunities to learn certain skills so they are able to go on to have more fruitful careers and hence happier lives in adulthood. With us they learn cooking, barista coffee, communication skills and general confidence building skills. Ryan and I have had stern words in how they need to behave in a café industry and they have promised this will not happen again. This will be reiterated and reinforced and we hope you do come back to enjoy our food again. If you would like to come back and meet with Ryan we would be more than happy to speak with you in person.
Sydney, Australia
“Great food but a little bit over priced for a family”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had dinner here with my family of 6, the burgers were great but it was quite expensive for just burgers, chips and chicken. Three burgers were almost $40 and to feed the little ones we came out of there with not much change from $80.

I realise the burgers were homemade and very large but perhaps for the price you could make it a meal with some chips and drink, I think that would make it better value for $14.

Visited February 2014
roxy_uk26, Owner at RJ's Diner, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt that the meal was too expensive. We do use the freshest ingredients,bought by us, every morning for our burgers. We do also offer children's meals. They include a burger/chicken/fish with chips and a drink for only $10. Our burgers (and chicken schnitzel) are all homemade with the freshest ingredients. We use 100% beef and chicken in all our burgers and all our salads are bough daily.
We are also open to comments on the day so if you feel our meals are are too pricey for you please let us know as you order. We are flexible and are happy to do meal deals on the day to suit you and your families' needs. Hope to see you again.
Woy Woy, Australia
“Best Burgers”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Love the decor & the atmosphere, always great music playing. Fantastic & friendly service. We have had the burgers here a few times now & they are the best. Only ever tried the Classic & the Chesse burgers but I'm sure the others are just as good. The only thing that needs improving is the chips - maybe hand cut ones?? Highly recommend to everyone.

• Visited February 2014
roxy_uk26, Owner at RJ's Diner, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
thank you for the review. We will look forward to you trying some of our homemade gourmet burgers. And yes please do ask Ryan if he is not too busy on the day and he will be more than happy to make you homemade hand cut chips! Thank you so much for your regular custom!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grandkids day out”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The decor is funky and the atmosphere friendly with records playing on old turntable, it was a busy Sunday for Woy Woy, we had a very generous portion of home made potato scallops which were delicious and crisp, chips were OK but I think the staff were a bit overwhelmed by the extra people wandering around. An impatient customer was treated with courtesy, and the other meals we saw looked delicious. Will return to try a hamburger one day.

• Visited January 2014
roxy_uk26, Owner at RJ's Diner, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you very much for the review. We are pleased you enjoyed the decor and the old records playing. Yes we were very busy on Sunday. My partner who is a GP had to do an on call day and could not be at the cafe that day so that on top of the market day (which is held once a month) we had great fun making lots of food! We hope you come again and sample our other dishes on one of our more ''normal'' days!