“Cheap & nasty”

Mercure Sydney International Airport
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wolli Creek
Reviewed April 27, 2014

What a let down. Despite the fact there are huge works going on around it and we were ok to put that aside, reception was poor, no signs about parking fees & when we left for dinner 20 mins after checking in, they wanted $20 parking fee. We had prepaid the accom on internet & they double charged us on check out. A really poor experience. I will never stay at Mercure again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GreatwhiteNC74
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Hi GreatwhiteNC74,

Thank you for your review.

Please be advised that we have signs due to be installed shortly to ensure that our guests are informed and can orientate them self’s with ease.

I am aware that you have been in contact with our Front Office Manager and refunded duly. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please contact me on Richard.Holt@accor.com.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Richard.Holt@accor.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,109)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Very central motel sure it will be a wonderful place to stay once the renovations around the car park area are completed. Was a bit of a problem locating the front of the motel. Everything clean and neat. I would stay again but will wait until the construction work is completed.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Susiewrx,

Thank you for staying at Mercure Sydney International Airport.

Please be advised that there is construction taking place adjacent to the property. The development is not related to the property undergoing renovations or remodelling. Please do not hesitate to stay with us while the works are being carried out as we have employed measures to ensure that our guests and operations are not effected.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Our second stay here. The rooms are contemporary and comfortable. Despite location near the airport and a construction zone, we found the room quite quiet. Buffet breakfast variety was plentiful and interesting. The hotel is a short walk through a lovely park to the Wolli Creek train station with direct access to the city. Staff are polite and courteous.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ditto2
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Ditto2,

Thank you for the lovely review.

Our hotel is located away from any direct flight paths and we have double glazed windows in accommodation rooms to ensure that rooms are as quiet as possible.

Your positive feedback has been communicated to the Food and Beverage team and I wish to welcome you again very shortly.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

After reading all the recent negative reviews, I was surprised as my stay was very pleasant in a very nice renovated Queen room (527). The staff were very friendly upon my late check in. The car park has been affected by the construction of new apartments directly adjacent to the hotel but there was also plenty of free street parking available at around 9pm near the rowing club opposite. My room had a mini bar. Bathroom was clean and with a glass panel (no shower curtain). Shower pressure 7/10. Got an excellent rate through Accor which is why I chose this hotel but even at the regular rate I would definitely come back. Glad I chose to stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear JodieG68,

This review is very pleasant to read.

It goes without saying that our guests are our priority and we work hard to ensure that all have a stay as lovely as yours. Each customer experience is unique and It is great to hear this feedback which I have passed on to the team to encourage the service standards mentioned.

Thank you for staying at our hotel and I would love to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

After 14 hours of driving all we wanted was a cold beer, a decent meal and a good nights sleep.
It started at check-in and just got progressively worse...there was no proactive direction or assistance to locate the lifts which are tucked away so we wandered around aimlessly for a couple minutes until I could speak to one of the front of house staff who were all very busy "processing" other guests ... not a good start... we thought it was just us but later whilst we were having a pre-dinner drink at the bar we had to direct seven sets of individual guest who were wandering around "lost" looking for the lifts - a simple hand direction "lifts are just through there folks" from the front of house staff would have been helpful to tired travellers.
Bar and food prices are in line with 4 star establishments however we chose to eat across the road at the Rowing Club - great food - great service and roughly 1/2 the price of the Mercure.. free membership for visitors.
Currently there is construction work in progress at the Mercure which severely restricts parking bays and would be a challenge for those seeking day rooms.
Our room (404) was a disaster and after driving for the previous 14 hours it was only total fatigue that allowed me to catch just 2-3 hours broken sleep due to aircon/fridge noise and vibration factors, and I couldn't be fagged with going through the tribulation of a room shift at that late stage. My wife however got zero sleep so I suffered her frustration and fatigue for a few hours the next morning.
Aircon in the room vibrated to the extent that we were unable to sleep unless it was off - had to turn the TV volume up to 32 just to hear the ABC news at 7pm.
Fridge noise was just as bad and I would have turned it off too if I could have found the switch.
Faeces stain on toilet bowl
Car parking @ $20/night
Wi-Fi @ $24/night
NO mini bar
Tea/coffee milk in room but only one cup - so I had to have my morning wakeup coffee in glass cradled in a wet face cloth to stop the contents from burning my hands.
All in all a very disappointing experience - definitely would be reluctant to recommend.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with a 4 in front of them I guess...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank TW52
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear TW52,

Thank you for your detailed review.

Your feedback has been taken on board and I appreciate your perspective as a guest. By labelling the room number you have offered the opportunity to investigate specific concerns mentioned. Thank you.

Please be advised that there is development occurring adjacent to the hotel however it is not related to the hotel undergoing any remodelling or renovation. We have employed measures to ensure guests and operations are not affected by the adjacent development.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please feel free to contact me through Richard.Holt@accor.com

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I usually stay at Mercure, Sydney but was able to get a good Wotif Deal over Easter for the Mercure Airport Sydney. I would have been very angry if I had paid full price. The car park was halve dug up and fenced off. The entry to the lobby was though a barricaded hallway with minimal signage. Check in was ok but once I got to the room I was disappointed again. The room had a mustiness about it with torn wallpaper. There was no hotel directory and I had to ring reception to get a room service menu. Room service was efficient and the food was good but it was expensive. Check out was easy the next morning but I will not be hurrying back at least until the renovations are complete. So different to its city sister. No mini bar was a pain because you don't always want to out of your room to the vending machine.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Bev B,

Thank you for your review.

Please be advised that there is a development taking place adjacent to the hotel. This is not related to the hotel undergoing any remodelling or renovation and we have employed measures to ensure that our guests are not effected.

I understand your frustration in regards to a lack of directional signs. Rest assured that we have signs being installed in the very near future to make wayfinding easier for guests.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discus your experience further. Please feel free to contact me directly through Richard.Holt@accor.com.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were happy with the service; one hiccup - we had just flown 21hrs,arrived at the hotel around midnight. We wanted to sleep in as long as possible. We were advised that breakfast was till 11am on Thurs 17th April; we arrived to the restaurant at 0950 to find that breakfast closed at 10am!!! This was disappointing. Obviously some miscommunication between departments.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Suzanne H,

Thank you for staying with us.

Please accept an apology for your experience. I have notified the relevant departments and I have reinforced the importance of accurate communication within operations and with our valued guests.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolli Creek
Pullman Sydney Airport
#2 of 12 in Mascot
Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
Mantra Hotel at Sydney Airport

Been to Mercure Sydney International Airport? Share your experiences!