“Very disappointed - definitely not 4*”

Mercure Sydney International Airport
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wolli Creek
Reviewed April 23, 2014

After 14 hours of driving all we wanted was a cold beer, a decent meal and a good nights sleep.
It started at check-in and just got progressively worse...there was no proactive direction or assistance to locate the lifts which are tucked away so we wandered around aimlessly for a couple minutes until I could speak to one of the front of house staff who were all very busy "processing" other guests ... not a good start... we thought it was just us but later whilst we were having a pre-dinner drink at the bar we had to direct seven sets of individual guest who were wandering around "lost" looking for the lifts - a simple hand direction "lifts are just through there folks" from the front of house staff would have been helpful to tired travellers.
Bar and food prices are in line with 4 star establishments however we chose to eat across the road at the Rowing Club - great food - great service and roughly 1/2 the price of the Mercure.. free membership for visitors.
Currently there is construction work in progress at the Mercure which severely restricts parking bays and would be a challenge for those seeking day rooms.
Our room (404) was a disaster and after driving for the previous 14 hours it was only total fatigue that allowed me to catch just 2-3 hours broken sleep due to aircon/fridge noise and vibration factors, and I couldn't be fagged with going through the tribulation of a room shift at that late stage. My wife however got zero sleep so I suffered her frustration and fatigue for a few hours the next morning.
Aircon in the room vibrated to the extent that we were unable to sleep unless it was off - had to turn the TV volume up to 32 just to hear the ABC news at 7pm.
Fridge noise was just as bad and I would have turned it off too if I could have found the switch.
Faeces stain on toilet bowl
Car parking @ $20/night
Wi-Fi @ $24/night
NO mini bar
Tea/coffee milk in room but only one cup - so I had to have my morning wakeup coffee in glass cradled in a wet face cloth to stop the contents from burning my hands.
All in all a very disappointing experience - definitely would be reluctant to recommend.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with a 4 in front of them I guess...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank TW52
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear TW52,

Thank you for your detailed review.

Your feedback has been taken on board and I appreciate your perspective as a guest. By labelling the room number you have offered the opportunity to investigate specific concerns mentioned. Thank you.

Please be advised that there is development occurring adjacent to the hotel however it is not related to the hotel undergoing any remodelling or renovation. We have employed measures to ensure guests and operations are not affected by the adjacent development.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please feel free to contact me through Richard.Holt@accor.com

Once again thank you for your review.

Richard.Holt@accor.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,086)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I usually stay at Mercure, Sydney but was able to get a good Wotif Deal over Easter for the Mercure Airport Sydney. I would have been very angry if I had paid full price. The car park was halve dug up and fenced off. The entry to the lobby was though a barricaded hallway with minimal signage. Check in was ok but once I got to the room I was disappointed again. The room had a mustiness about it with torn wallpaper. There was no hotel directory and I had to ring reception to get a room service menu. Room service was efficient and the food was good but it was expensive. Check out was easy the next morning but I will not be hurrying back at least until the renovations are complete. So different to its city sister. No mini bar was a pain because you don't always want to out of your room to the vending machine.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Bev B,

Thank you for your review.

Please be advised that there is a development taking place adjacent to the hotel. This is not related to the hotel undergoing any remodelling or renovation and we have employed measures to ensure that our guests are not effected.

I understand your frustration in regards to a lack of directional signs. Rest assured that we have signs being installed in the very near future to make wayfinding easier for guests.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discus your experience further. Please feel free to contact me directly through Richard.Holt@accor.com.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were happy with the service; one hiccup - we had just flown 21hrs,arrived at the hotel around midnight. We wanted to sleep in as long as possible. We were advised that breakfast was till 11am on Thurs 17th April; we arrived to the restaurant at 0950 to find that breakfast closed at 10am!!! This was disappointing. Obviously some miscommunication between departments.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Suzanne H,

Thank you for staying with us.

Please accept an apology for your experience. I have notified the relevant departments and I have reinforced the importance of accurate communication within operations and with our valued guests.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

The room was fine, clean lines. The food and beverage service is what lets this place down, and since there is not a lot of choice in walking distance , you are stuck. Food and beverage is average at best and service is confused and slow.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear blondoz34,

Thank you for staying with us.

Your positive feedback in regards to room quality is warming.

I would love the opportunity to discuss the rest of your experience in further detail. Please contact me through Richard.Holt@accor.com

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our one night stay before flying out very early the next morning was one that we had mixed feelings about this time. The hotel is surrounded by a construction zone so that the entrance foyer has moved and the car park entrance appears like a delivery entry.
We actually went around the block twice before we found the entrance and were charged $20 for the privilege of parking overnight in the open.
Reception were quite indifferent to our suggestion that entry signage would be a good idea, as they also were when we were trying to access our Advantage Plus complimentary wi Fi and our early morning checkout was quite perfunctory.
The restaurant buffet looked a bit ordinary with limited selections so we had a steak from the a la carte menu which was favourable. The restaurant service was very attentive.
The room had been renovated as much as possible with an older style facility and the foyer area also had been renovated, although now resembles a quite sterile hospital entry.
The location is very good for access to the international airport, 2 km away or domestic terminal 4 km away.

Dear Auswalkers,

Thank you for returning to Mercure Sydney International Airport.

Please note that there is a development adjacent to the hotel. It is not related to the hotel undergoing any remodelling or renovation and we have measures in place to ensure that guests are not negatively impacted by the development.

I have reinforced our loyalty member entitlements throughout the hotel to avoid any similar experience in the future.

Thank you for the positive review in regards to customer service provided by our food and beverage department.

We wish to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was our thrid stay here and my how the place has gone down hill! Yes, there is construction but this was not our main gripe.

We observed hoards of people (sports teams, tour groups from China) at the check-in (waiting for up to 40 minutes), whilst we were eating in the reataurant on two of our four nights stay. Singles and couples who had arrived after them had to wait behind these groups. (Fortunarely we checked in during a non peak time.)

At the reataurant, (at night), servce was abrupt at best, and rude at worst - the maitre d'hotel did her best but wait staff were either incompetent or overly familiar. Food took a long time to arrvie - and even after waiting some considerable time, before drinks on one occasion. Some dishes arrived incomplete and had to be sent back. Staff had absolutly no idea about wines or protocols for serving. At breakfast we had to ask for cereal bowls on three out of four occasions. The morning staff were clearly stressed, overworked, not coping and looked close to burnout. We had to ask three times (over a period of 8 hours) for a bath plug which worked.

We had to ask three times for a foot towel and hand towels after the first day. On the second and thrid occasions reception staff were extremely rude to my wife. We were made to feel like we we being pests for asking for things to which we were entitled.

Shoddy renovations - door hinges painted over, plaster not finished off in the bathroom.

Noisy plasma screen suited more to a suburban RSL club environment now takes pride of place in the "renovated" bar - one which was a once reasonably civilised environment. (The barman there on the first night was the only staff member we encountered whom I would rate as professional in his service and attitude.)

This place has gone down market despite the cosmetic changes. Poor, extremely noisy accousiics with lots of reflective surfaces in the whole bar/ lobby area. The restaurant environment which is the one spot which hasn't been renovated was aesthetically and acoustically bearable.

The overall feel of the place is one of desperation - staff just keeping it together - and very stressed - presumably an explanation (though not a excsue) for their rudeness.

These problems are clearly not about the construction - they are about understaffing, corner cutting, and the culture of management - our (in excess of) $200 a night room subsidising large wholesale tour groups from Asia and elsewhere.

Room Tip: Bring your own linen and bathplug.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Haz2013,

Thank you for your detailed review.

Please be advised that there is development adjacent to the hotel. This development is not related to the hotel and we have employed measures to ensure that the development does not effect our guests or operations.

I appreciate your specific feedback and I have passed this on to be addressed by the relevant departments.

Thank you for your perspective in regards to aesthetics. Please be aware that the hotel has been enhanced with a multimillion dollar renovation of rooms and public spaces mid last year.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you. Please contact me on Richard.Holt@accor.com

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolli Creek
#2 of 12 in Mascot
Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
Holiday Inn Sydney Airport
Ibis Budget Hotel Sydney Airport

Been to Mercure Sydney International Airport? Share your experiences!