My wife and I have stayed at this hotel on many previous occasions and have always been quite happy with our experiences.
Well not this time. From the moment we pulled into the car park the experience started to turn sour. Firstly, we had no idea that the hotel was having major renovations (there was no evidence when we last stayed here in October and nothing on Accor’s website). The hotel entrance had been moved to a side door and this rather took us aback. Once inside this temporary lobby (which was completely windowless and covered in black plastic) we were met by a line of 50 Indonesian students which the harried staff were frantically trying to check in. Needless to say that they were somewhat stressed out and quite surly and unwelcoming to us.
The unsmiling check in agent gave us a room on a low floor directly above a building site, despite my request for a room on a higher floor facing Botany Bay and the Airport (which is what we usually receive). I have been an Accor Club member for quite a while and have never been treated so dismissively before. Arguing with this person would have been quite counterproductive in my opinion, given her apparent stressed out condition, so we just reluctantly settled into the poor room that we were given. The room itself was dingy and desperately in need of renovation, with peeling woodwork and threadbare carpets to mention but a couple of the issues.
We deeply regretted having prepaid for two nights, as we otherwise would just have walked out and stayed somewhere else. We won’t be booking here again until the building work has been completed and maybe not ever again.
We really do feel that Accor should have organized this renovation much better, and we would strongly recommend that prospective guests take the inconveniences, noise and dust into account before making a booking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Sydney International Airport is conveniently located near both the international and domestic airport terminals, adjacent to the 18 hole Kogarah Golf Club and only 15 minutes from the city centre. Situated on the Cooks River and surrounded by parklands, the hotel features 271 modern accommodation rooms with no disturbance from plane take off or landing. Convenience is ensured with Wolli Creek train station a 5 minute walk away as well as a Bar and Restaurant on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, ACCOR, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Mercure Sydney International Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Sydney Airport Hotel Wolli Creek
- Mercure Wolli Creek
- Mercure Hotel Sydney Airport