“Pretty Good”

Mercure Sydney International Airport
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wolli Creek
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I spent the night here prior to a long haul international flight. The check in was smooth, and I spent the night on the seventh floor. The room was spacious, clean, and had a nice, modern decor. I'm always very particular about the cleanliness of the bathrooms, but there were no problems here. The bed very comfortable, large, and I enjoyed watching television before bed.

The wifi, however, was painfully slow. I understand there were probably many people using it at that hour, but I paid for the twenty four option, and I felt a bit cheated (there is only a one hour, and twenty four hour option). Early the next day it was running faster though. I ordered a pizza, and a beer, and spent forty dollars. I know those are hotel prices, but I would have liked a bit better quality food for my dollar. I'm used to there being complimentary coffee and tea in the room, with a kettle, but that's just a minor detail. The free shuttle is a nice feature, but we had to leave a few people behind because we ran out of space. I'm not sure how long it took for another shuttle to arrive, but supposedly they run every twenty minutes.

All in all it was worth the money, for a one night's stay. I'll most likely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Tahno D,

First of all thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay prior to your international flight. In regards to the internet connection, yes when a few users use it at the same time, it can reduce the speed. We regret that this has disappointed you and please rest assured that we are continuously upgrading our services. On your next stay, please take advantage of our half an hour free Wi-Fi in the lobby.

Once again thank you for your time and feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel.

Joleen Hurst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here with my wife and daughter the night bore a long flight to The US and it was nice and reasonably priced. Didn't do much but sleep there but the rooms were nice and spacious and quiet which is all we needed. Only downside is it is calle !ercure Sydney Sirport but it was still a $25 taxi ride from the airport but there aren't any hotels that I could find much closer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear 415GerardC,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a nice stay before your long flight to the USA and trust that you enjoyed your time there. Just for future reference, we do have shuttle buses available from the hotel to the Airport. On your future stay, please ask one of our friendly reception team as to how you can get on them. We hope to see you again in the near future and once again thank you for your time and feedback.

Seattle
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had a 6am international flight looming ahead of me and an overnight stay at the Mercure proved to be just the ticket.
The plus for this hotel is that there is free shuttle service available to/from the airport.

The hotel itself is okay. The room was quite small. The lobby area is spacious. We ate in the bar - pizza - and it was "okay".

There is a pay computer in the lobby. $2 for twenty minutes.

A one-night stay was adequate. I probably would not choose this hotel for more than a one-night stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear LindaSeattle,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. We hope to show you continuous improvements on your future stays and we look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel.

Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is one of the dirtiest, poorly kept hotels I've seen in some time. Front desk staff was poorly trained. The one bright spot was the breakfast buffet and staff, which were excellent. I'm not sure how this place could possibly be rated higher than the Holiday Inn among the hotels near the airport. I stayed both places 3 nights apart; the HI also had a couple of problems, but was much better overall.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robert B,

Your feedback is important for us and it is through your feedback that we are able to continuously improve our service offerings. We thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback and we would also like to apologise for any inconvenience you felt. It is with great regret for us to hear that your were disappointed with your recent stay at Mercure Sydney Airport. We hope you allow us another opportunity to show you the improvements that we made and to welcome you back into the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I booked here as i had an early departure the next morning for an international flight. I booked the week out on their website for $223, so i was expecting 4 star standard minimum (i frequently get $199 for Sydney Hilton which is 5 star).

I got the shuttle bus from the Domestic airport. Good, convenient service.

Check in seemed to take forever - some confusion as to my address, even though i already entered it when i booked.

I arrived at 10.30pm so all i wanted was to watch the news, have a shower and fo to bed. When i entered the room the aircon was on full bore and the room was freezing. You cant seem to turn the aircon off, so i played around with it all night to get the right temperature.

Room was old and tired. Really needs renovating.

Tired to turn on the TV - the remote did not work!! The only button that worked was the on button. I tried everything for 30 minutes (inc
Uding buttons om the TV itself) and then gave up. No point in calling the front desk as i am sure based on the speed of checkin that maintenance would take an hour or so to get to me. So no TV for me.

Bathroom ok. Bed was fine, pillows too soft for me.

Shuttle bus the next morning was convenient.

All in all i would have paid $100-120 for this room, based purely on the convenient location to the airport. $223 is daylight robbery for such a low standard and tired property. 3 star standard at a stretch.

Do not stay here unless you want the convenience to the airport - and in that case, use this property as a last resort. The other 4 or so airport hotels are far better.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank raura
Dear raura,

First of all thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. It is with great regret to hear that you were greatly disappointed with your recent stay at Mercure Sydney Airport. We have forwarded your comments to our Chief Engineer who will take the appropriate means in rectifying the room issues that you have mentioned. Web hope you allow us another opportunity to show you the improvements that we have made and we look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel.

coastal
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have stayed at this property several times prior to international flights for one night only and have enjoyed: the location, the fact that you can open a window and get some fresh air, the room, the cleanliness, the parking... and most of all the staff (especially some of the reception staff). We have always had room service which was good or gone down to the bar and ordered from the menu there. Recently we needed to travel to Sydney for a 5 day school sporting event and the sporting venue was 5 minutes drive away from this hotel so it was an obvious choice. Another great stay. If you are worried about airport noise we didnt hear any and I am a VERY light sleeper. Also close to the big new IKEA (5 minutes drive) which filled in some down time. Don't have to eat in house, Rowing Club next door which is good club fare. We love this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear downunderoz,

As you love the hotel, we love welcoming you back into the hotel. We greatly appreciate your kind words and will endeavour to always provide the best service to all our guests. We thank you for taking the time in sharing you experience with us and we look forward to welcome you back into the hotel.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I found this hotel to be very pleasant, very comfortable bed and choice of pillows, helpful and attentive staff and very good food. I overheard some people talking in the lift about how good their meal at the restaurant had been. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear MagentaBruine,

First of all thank you for taking the time in giving us your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed a pleasant and comfortable stay at Mercure Sydney Airport. We look forward to warmly welcome you back into the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolli Creek
Pullman Sydney Airport
Pullman Sydney Airport
#2 of 10 in Mascot
Ibis Budget Hotel Sydney Airport

Been to Mercure Sydney International Airport? Share your experiences!