“underground shopping”

Red Earth Opal Cafe
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups
Description: Beautiful Unique Strawbale Cafe & Opal Showroom In White Cliffs NSW.Great food all cooked daily onsite.Working Opal Mine Tour daily 3pmBookings taken for THE CAVE COTTAGE, come sleep underground.
Landenberg Pa.
“underground shopping”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Staging area for the only working opal mine tour. Great veggie wraps. Amazing opal pineapple clusters on display.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank mikesueLandenbergPa.

Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Opoal mine visit”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We visited the cafe and mine after 6days of bush camping around Innaminka. Great service, coffe and cakes. The kids loverd the tour of thbe mine and were determined to find some opals so we came ack the next morning and fossiked around the old mine shafts. Graham the owner of the caffe and mine lent us a spade and siff and we all found a handfull of opals. Later on graham and his dad examined the opals and explained our kids what makes a valluable opal and how the opals are ade into jewellery. What a great family business. A must see/do in Whitecliffs. Great for kids.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mark S
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

When you visit the Red Earth cafe you get more than just lunch or afternoon tea. The display of jewelry made from local opals is beautiful. The cafe also allows patrons to look into the history of the area and for $ 15 there is the opportunity to visit a productive mine on a tour given by the owner/miner. This is well worth it being very informative and hands on.

It would be nice to advertise the place more in the town and maybe smarten up the driveway to make it more noticeable and attractive.

Overall a good visit.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Fiona R
Fargo, North Dakota
“Ring me up anytime”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

While we only had lovely coffees during our visit to Red Earth Opal Cafe, I can speak best about a bit of jewelry shopping. I am wearing a much-treasured opal ring, with four beautiful chips set in an unusual design, and I feel just a bit more cheerful every time my eyes light on my hand. The day we bought the ring, about three years ago, we had a very nice visit with the owner, who harvests the opals--beautiful blues with shimmers of green--himself. His wife then set the opals in this ring, which I wear proudly.

After not quite a year, to my dismay, I noticed while shopping that one of the opals had fallen out. My granddaughter and I scoured the store floor, the entryway, the parking lot, the truck we came in, and even the bottom of my purse, trying to find the missing gem. All to no avail. Knowing I'd never find a replacement in my home state of North Dakota, I wrote to the owners of Red Earth Opal Cafe to appeal for help.

I can tell you that they stood behind their product with no questions or challenges, and after some long-term mailing of packages from Fargo to White Cliffs and back, I now happily flaunt and flash my beautiful ring. I can't wait to get back to White Cliffs, where next time I'll have something tasty at the Red Earth Opal Cafe, and maybe I'll buy something shiny, too.

• Visited February 2012
4 Thank Suzzanne K
REDEARTHOPALS, Owner at Red Earth Opal Cafe, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thankyou for your kind words. We are very grateful for your response & extremely happy that you are once again enjoying your beautiful opal.
Melbourne, Australia
“An oasis in the desert”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were recommended to seek out this place and were very glad we did. It’s not right in the centre of town, but is well signed from the caravan park. Doesn't look much from the outside, but once you enter, it’s a real oasis. Only a simple menu - wraps, toasties, home made pies and cakes, but everything is fresh and a real change from the deep fried stuff that is served everywhere else around here. Excellent coffee too made by the owner, Sacha.

An added bonus is that Sacha’s husband, Graeme is a real opal miner. The café doubles as a showroom for the jewellery made from the opals that he has mined. He runs tours of his mining operation every day at 4:30. This is usually a tag-along tour (you follow him in your vehicle) but as there were only two of us, we joined him in his ute. Graeme is quite a character and gave us a very entertaining as well as educational tour of his mine and the surrounding area. Great value too at $10 per person for 1½ hours - he could charge double and it would still be worthwhile.

• Visited August 2012