“Poor customer service”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013

.After having a pleasant lunch at this pub (altho' be aware there are things on the menu that are not available anymore), we booked the courtesy bus for the evening & booked a table for 8 of us for dinner as this meant we could all drink & they have a DJ there on Sat night. The lunchtime waitress took all our details, went away & checked with the relevant Manager & our bus was expected to pick us up at 7:10pm. At 7:20pm we were still waiting so I rang to be told by "David" that no bus had been booked just the table & that they didn't normally go to Bilambil (10 kms is the advertised radius) but in this instance they'd make an exception! The bus would be about 20 mins. I explained that we had a booking for 7:30 & was assured it was no problem & asked if 2 friends who were meeting us there could be brought up to date with what was happening. At 7:50pm ie 30 mins after I'd last spoken to "David" still no "courtesy" bus, so I rang. He said it was just back & would be another 15 mins i.e. nearly an hour after we were originally told that it would be picking us up - by this time we were pretty cheesed off (to put it mildly) & we were starving. I told "David" to hang fire on the bus as I would ring our poor friends who were by now sitting at a table booked for 7:30pm & having staff asking them if we still coming (yes really!). I spoke to said friends & found out they'd ordered an entree each as they too were starving. I then rang "David" back & said ok we were still coming & to send the bus... his reply "oh you still want it?!". Apparently when I told him to hang fire until I'd spoken to our friends he took hang fire to mean cancel the bus!!! By this time the room full of our friends uttered numerous expletives & this time I did tell him to cancel everything. Organisation is clearly not a strong point (our friends in the restaurant told us that they were informed meals were taking 40 mins even tho' one of our friends, a qualified chef, said the place was v quiet & there was no DJ as advertised) and customer service is sadly lacking. Food was ok - location is main feature. Real letdown.

1  Thank Denise B
There are newer reviews for The Ivory Tavern

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great location - love the outdoor lounges.

We had two meals at The Ivory during our time at Coolangatta. Each time the food was great. A great Sunday special for $10 - pork belly - beautifully cooked with fresh vegies - what more could you ask for.

Staff very friendly & obliging.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Ivory Tavern @ Tweed Heads has good pub grub with stunning views over the marina. This tavern originally started years ago as an over-priced restaurant, and with time, has come to accept that the locals want value for money. Try their Thursday special - the $10 T-bone steak and fries. Good quality and pricing to match. It's a casual place with casual food and is a fun environment.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Enjoyed lunch on a sunny winter afternoon at The Ivory. Great service and the food came out quickly and was all very nice. They have $9.99 specials every day and the one I had was good value. Thoroughly enjoyed the coffee we had after lunch. Will definitely be back for lunch.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently went to The Ivory for dinner with a group of friends. The location, right on the river, is just lovely, especially on a summer's evening. We'd been there previously and had enjoyed our meals on that occasion (I had a lovely Atlantic Salmon and a great steak on previous visits), but this time we were all a bit disappointed. I had the chicken parmagiana, which was overcooked, quite dried out and drowning in cheese. My friends were all disappointed in their meals too.

The drinks are a bit expensive ($7 for a glass of wine). The "special" cocktails were served in kid's cordial glasses and were rather diluted. None of us were keen to order too many drinks after the first round!

The service was very good, with the friendly, happy staff regularly checking on us.

Would not rush back to The Ivory unless the food greatly improves.

1  Thank MumTheOrganiser