“Nice view, a pleasant evening”
Review of Funky Fish - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Funky Fish
Cuisines: Seafood
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice view, a pleasant evening”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Not an unpleasant place but a little expensive for the service and food. The view from the terrace was lovely with the birds and water. The table was rustic and gave concern that the wine may spill. Service could have been a little more attentive.

Visited February 2013

Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Not so Funky”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This restaurant when opened had a quirly name. we were one of the first couples through the place. Can't say I was impressed at all.
front of house welcome- Duze ava reservation? We were guided upstairs. SParse setting you order atthe counter and pay before you eat?. The wine I selected was not available however there was a local wine which of the same price? and was tolerable. The order was came back incorrect and thus they gave me a small plate and fork and told me to eat from my wife's plate until my lobster came. When the lobster arrived I was searching madly for the meat. quality and quantitiy was very poor.
Don't get me wrong I am not a whinger but you had to get your own knives and forks and for 2 mains and a bottle of wine = $140 that was over the top.
Quality of food 5/10, service 3/10 , Disabled access 0/10.Sorry but you lost me right at the beginning with Duze( Do you) . Overall POOR. Maybe the owner should stick with his other restaurant on the corner of the boulevarde

Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
“View View, View”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Upstairs (order at the bar ) restaurant. Wicker chairs, bench seating with lots of cushions and a clean streamlined look inside. For our late afternoon lunch we sat at the plastic table and chairs on the balcony which became quite hot even with the sunshade. We chose grilled barramundi served on greens with accompanying chips in a stainless steel basket and three small bowls of dipping sauce served on a rectangular plate. A very attractive presentation. The barra was fresh and beautifully cooked. The wine list is very good with some wines available by the glass. The restaurant was very quiet as we dined on a Monday. The restaurant gives a mixed message. It's tone and ambience say restaurant and one expects to be waited on. Personally, I don't care to order at the bar. It was a nuisance and detracted from the dining experience and the delicious meal in such a lovely setting.

• Visited December 2012
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing service”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

After reading the menu on line and reading other reviews i decided that funky fish was a good choice to propose to my partner. On arrival we were greeted and shown to our table out on the balcony over looking the lake, what a view and that was it for the service. Once seated you have to go to the bar to order and pay up front there is no table service. I would of expected with the prices of the platters being of a fine dinning venue that the service would be better than a pub .
So over all the food was good but the service for the prices you pay should be table service. Didn't really set the atmosphere that i was looking for. I my as well have gone to the pub if i had to order at the bar for food and drinks.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Maca2012
Newcastle
“Good all round fish place”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Friday night had us going, trying to find a new place in Toronto. So we thought we'd try the relatively new Funky Fish. Large spacious upstairs dining overlooking Lake Macquarie in a well thought out and sparkly decor. But the food, the food, what was that like? Two grilled snapper, one grilled barramundi, three salads and a kid's meal later, we all rated it a very good. Nicely grilled fresh fish. Good portion sizes with three tasting sauces. Well done tasty garden, Greek and walnut/pear salads with perhaps a tad too much dressing - but as I say tasty. Chips in little baskets done to perfection. And some drinks rounded out a very good meal in a very nice setting. Wait service excellent. Prices OK. The variety of platters looked a good choice for future visits.

• Visited November 2012