“Great Place”

River Inn Resort
Melbourne
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Troy the owner was awesome and more than happy to assist and the rest of the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. The accommodation was clean, comfortable and within easy walking distance of the village. Well worth checking out

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

While we found the room clean and decent, the noise levels were unbelievable. There appears to be absolutely no sound proofing. if you want to listen to your neighbours' conversations all night, this is the place to be. Doors slamming, TVs roaring through the wall, people coming and going all night long, it all sounded like it was happening in the room with us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Thredbo Village hotels

Mansfield, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Background
---------------
My review is different from others in a way that I'm not a direct paying guest of River Inn, but booked through a snow package. I dare say that I was one of the luckiest guests to stay at River Inn for the year. Why? Read on.

I stayed at River Inn for 13 nights from 17 Sep to 29 Sep. Despite being a first-time customer and most likely paying fewest for per-unit service received, I was treated so well with a lot of free upgrades and all.

My package included a dorm-type accommodation at North Jindabyne, but as it approached the end of season they gave me free upgrade to stay at River Inn istead.

Before I give the detail of my package and what I got I'd like to give my thought about River Inn first because that is the purpose of this review.

Please bear in mind that I made this review based on my own experience and what I paid. I can't say for anyone else who paid expensive bucks because our expectations are totally different.

Location
----------
In my opinion, River Inn is arguably located at the best location in Thredbo, especially for families, even those expensive hotels right next to Kosi Express can't beat it. Reason? It's right next to Friday Flat and Gunbarrel Chairlift, which means everyone from very beginner to expert can leave the hotel at the same time and be ready for their action. Total beginners can start their day at Friday flat while the more experienced can take Gunbarrel up and go where they want - Green, Blue or Black. They can travel to the Supertrail and down to Kosi Express, if that's where they want to go. The reverse can't be done by beginners from the top of Kosi Express to Merrits.

It's also located near the Leisure Centre and Child Care facilities.

True that it's not right in the heart of the village, but 500m is what, 5 minute walk? You can get to the village in no time, not to mention free bus all day.

Reception/Staff
-------------------
I find everyone at the reception very friendly and helpful. They are also knowledgeable about the area and activities including equipment. (I asked the guy to fix my snowboard once and he finished it in like 3 minutes.) I talked to them a lot during my stay, everyday in fact, at least if they were busy I would just walk past and smiled to them (and of course got the same back.) I chose to walk through reception area and have a chit-chat with them rather than cut through the restaurant and straight to my room because by talking with them it made me feel more "at home."

The oldest lady was an "Everyone's Mum" kind of person. She was very nice and kind. She also gave me a lot of additional dinners free of charge.

Room/Housekeeping
--------------------------
I stayed in two rooms during my stay.
First room was on the upper floor. It was a middle-sized room with two single beds which have bottom parts that can be pulled out and made two more beds. It was clean and had everything you can expect from normal hotel, tv, heater, small fridge, kettle, free tea/coffee/milk, cups, glass, wardrobe and hangers, etc. I like the fact that it had many power outlets, hence, nobody had to fight over it. The shower was in good condition and clean. I shared with two other guys from the same snow group for three nights.

I was moved to another room (King/Double room) because they initially thought I'd only stay for 3 nights. They gave me another free dinner for inconvenience caused. (I jokingly told my friends I could do with being moved everyday in exchanged with free dinner LOL) This room had two beds only. It was a bit bigger than the previous room and had everything else found in the first room.

The down side of this room was that it was on the ground floor. The building was made of wood, hence, lots of noise made by kids playing/running from next door and above. The noise would stop at about 10pm as kids went to bed, but would start again as early as 7am. It was okay for me because I'd wake up around that time anyway, but I could see how annoying it would cause to other guests who didn't want to get up yet.

I shared with another guy for three nights in this room. Then 7 more nights I was all alone by myself. They placed no one else to share with me, despite a few more round of package groups coming. Thanks to the lady Mum :D

Housekeeping girls are very friendly too. They always asked if I wanted anything. They even offered to make two beds together so that I had a big bed to myself. (I didn't want to cause any trouble so I thanked and refused.)

Restaurant/Meals
---------------------
I didn't want to call their restaurant "restaurant." They way they organised tables and chairs looked more like university cafeteria to me. Having said that the outdoor area of the restaurant is a really good place to have some drink during a good, sunny day. (See photo attached)

Breakfast was... umm... okay, as free meal, but I wouldn't pay $20 $30 for that meal. I was okay at first, but got bored of it after 3-4 mornings.

Dinner was a bit more of a variety. They gave me choices to choose from. Some good, some weren't.

Then again, it was free and my purpose to come was for snow activities so I just endured it for the rest of the trip.

I forgot to mention that the lady gave me 3 more dinners so I only had to pay for 3 dinners out of 11 evenings while I was at Thredbo. (First and last evenings we were on the coach.)

The girls at the restaurants were friendly to me, especially the Asian girls. They had huge smiles every time I talked to them. Yes, I did smile a lot too.

Equipment Storage Room
-------------------------------
Storage room is good in a way, but can be of worrisome for people who have fancy equipments. I could understand why some people didn't want to leave their equipment in there. Keeping equipment there is at owner's risk, but no other option available. I didn't have a problem because I hired the board and ski. Nobody wanted to steal ugly board like that. In fact, I left my board at the bridge connecting to Friday Flat overnight three times. Nothing happened :D

Equipment Related Services
----------------------------------
There was equipment services in the morning. However, if you need help you can talk to the guys at reception and they will sort it out for you. I asked the guy to fix my snowboard and they did it in no time.

Parking
---------
There is no private parking in the front of River Inn apart from drop-off zone. I think the sign says 15-minutes only or so. There is a small car park at the back of River Inn. I'm not sure if it belong to River Inn or the hotel behind.

Other Facilities
------------------
There is no swimming pool. The spa was out of order at the time and doesn't seem to be fixed anytime soon. I don't care about this, but some may.

Guest lounge is kosi enough but I spent very little in there. I spent 8hours/day for 12 days on the slopes and 1 day bush walking. It's 100 times better than sitting in the lounge room :D

My Package Summary
---------------------------
Now, this is the summary of what I paid, my package detail, and what I actually received.

Total package cost = $1440

What I booked for
- Return transport from Sydney
- 12-night accommodation at a 6pp-dorm-style lodge in North Jindabyne
- 12-day snowboard/boots hire
- 12-day parka/pants hire
- 12-day shuttle to/from Thredbo including national park fee.
- 12 breakfasts
- 4 dinners

What I actually got
- Return transport from Sydney
- 13-night accommodation at River Inn (3pp shared = 3 nights, 2pp shared king room = 3 nights, staying alone king room = 7 nights)
- 13-day snowboard/boots hire
- 13-day parka/pants hire
- 12 breakfasts
- 8 dinners
- ski hire for the last 3 days on top of my snowboard at no additional cost.

To calculate nightly rate
Return Public transport from Sydney to Thredbo was $190, should I travel that way.
Snowboard/Boots/Parka/Pants hire was $150/6 days (I got one day free.)

Subtract these from total amount = $1140 - $190 - $300 = $650.

That means I paid $650/13 = 50/night only!

It's the best deals I have every had with any tour operator in my life!

Room Tip: When booking ask for an upper floor room near the end of the hall way, if possible, as it seem to be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DosAussieThai
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed there with my son in the October's long weekend. The king room is a joke. It's so tiny we could barely move with the baggage and the gear. The room was dirty. There were hair (not mine) on my bed linen what means it wasn't changed after the last guest. The bathroom was old and despite not being too dirty on the lower parts, the ceiling had so many brown stains and hair that made imagine what could have happened there. We were given breakfast vouchers for 2 days and dinner vouchers for 1 night. The food (if that can be called food) shoudn't be eaten by any human. The young lady with brown long hair was so rude to us that I felt like a bum asking for food. At the end you still need to throw the scraps in the bin and leave your dirty dishes on a little table right beside the entry. Not a pleasant view for who is arriving to have dinner. On the second day after the same young lady being rude to us for the third time we went have breakie somewhere else. It's very close to the Friday Flat and lifts though. That's probably the only positive aspect for that place but, of course, not their merit.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. It's not worth the money they charge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NeTraveller001
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I wish I had read all the reviews before I booked. I decided to book a ski holiday for my partner children and myself to surprise my partner. I spent $1300 for 2 nights on this place as the brouchers looked great. Well let me tell you the surprise was on us..... We arrived for check in to be greeted by a rude young lady who didn't seem to know if she was coming or going. I had booked for 2 adults and 2 children only to have her tell me that the booking was for 2 adults and 1 child. I then had to ask about the breakfast and dinner vouchers that were meant to be included she gave me the adult ones I again had to ask about the food vouchers for the children only to have her role her eyes at me and slap them down on the bench. We were also then told that we could not park out the front we had to go find parking in a community car park. I tried to explain we had 2 children with a disability and just need to leave the car there for 20 mins to get them inside, we were told no. However the same 3 cars have been parked on their driveway the whole time we have been here.

So we finally got to our room after climbing the stairs only to find the room unliveable, I wouldn't even let my dog stay here. The room was so tiny you couldn't swing a cat. The bathroom was filthy shower was not cleaned and to top it off I got a zap from the hair dryer whilst using it. This place is unsafe. The noises is unbearable.

We went for breakfast only to be served slop... I think a prisoner would eat better. They tell you that they have buffet breakfast it consists of 4 things and you are not allowed to go for seconds.

My partner decided to go and have a look at the spa which was one of the reasons I picked the place, only to find an out of order sign on it. He then went to reception to ask what was wrong with it only to be told that it was only there to be used by the high paying guests. When he told me this I furious. And went straight down stairs to ask what was their description of a high paying guest as I had paid $1300 for 2 nights. I was then told that the spa was broken and unfixable, I asked why was this not put on their website. She just shrugged her shoulders I was then told that I could use the thredbo leisure centre for $30 for a family. Tried to call their head office to put in a complaint not much help from them either. I will never come back here again. Only good thing is snow is at your doorstep. Place is suited to backpackers not families. I would not recomenddthis to anyone.....

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa B
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place is shocking, the only thing that it has going for it is the location as you can ski to the door. The decor is something from the 70s, but not dusted!! the food is like prison camp food, particularly the way the dreary and unkept staff slop it up to you, you are hard pressed to find a clean glass and your feet stick to the beer laden carpet which gives off a stale stench at breakfast time, just to entice your appetite. It cost $4 for a bad cappuccino and the spa doesn't work. Hair dryer just about electricuted me and I could just keep going about everything that is wrong with it. The price is so not in line with what is on offer. It is clear that the owners are skimming the profits and not putting back in, place needs to be bulldozed. Seriously.

Room Tip: Don't do it unless you are used to very bad backpacker standards and happy to waste your money.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jojoshopaholic
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

when you go on a ski holiday what are you there to do? Ski or snowboard of course. That is were the river inn is unbeatable, the best location in thredbo (unless you want to pay over $1000 a night for a place in crackenback ridge) I was a little skeptical from previous reviews but found our stay to be very good. While it can be noisy at time's, espcially the kiddies, it was bearable and all noise stopped by 9-10pm.
Other review's after my stay I found to be very whingy. For starters its a lodge not a resort/hotel (even though they say resort in the name lol) and everyone complaining about the pricing its thredbo!!!! not sydney! The staff I found to be very helpful and friendly. Check-in was quick and easy and found the guy and girl on reception to be very friendly, knowledgable about Thredbo village, the best ski runs and good places to go out! Plus also having the benfit of the male receptionist being a ski tech any issues we had were solved in minutes!! the rooms were clean, bed comfy + austar and I would recommend one of the ground floor rooms facing onto the road as it has a balcony(smoker) at the end of the day your only going back to your room the sleep and eagerly await the next day on the mountain. The food was good (keeping in mind its a bistro not a fancy resturant) and very resonably priced for Thredbo, I would recommend one of there pizza's very tasty and they do room delivery! The bar/deck is definatly the place to drink after lifts close with some good beers on tap and heaters on the deck so you can watch the sun go down outside in warmth!
The only downside of the whole stay was the spa not working but hey that is a bonus in my books, we had a great time and will be back next year for sure!!!

Room Tip: towards the end of the lodge (quiter) with a bottom floor room facing the road for a balcony!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#4 of 5 in Thredbo Village
Ski Rider Hotel
Ski Rider Hotel
#2 of 8 in Perisher Valley

Been to River Inn Resort? Share your experiences!